EDSNUB new project community garden

monica

Hi All

A massive thank you to all you lovely people who attended the Dulwich community garden Fundraiser, at the DHFC on Sunday. A fantastic time was had by all, and we have managed to raise over ?1500.

Thank you to all the volunteers who helped on the door, made and sold the cakes, generally ran around and did all sorts.A big thank you to Dulwich Hamlet football club for letting us use your lovely space for free.

A heartwarming thank you to the musicians who donated their free time and talent to the event, and finally thank you Sue and Nyge for having the foresight of coming up with this amazing idea, and making it into a reality. The Dulwich community garden project, and I think I can say this on behalf of Heather, project manager and Vale resident's association chair, the Vale residents association, SNUB (me, Stewart although he's bikes pm, Hannah and Zoe,)and Robin Crookshankhilton, our lovely lib dem councillor, who is not on the garden project, however has been very helpful.

Thank you Goose is out, we love you guys.

Watch this space guys

Community action rocks, and they were rocking on a lovely Sunday afternoon at the DHFC.

Yay :)-D

Hi All

Just an update re the funding from Veolia, unfortunately we did not get it, too many applicants, way too many worthy projects. Just like ours.:)) So onwards and upwards. A delightful amount was raised at the Goose is out Fundraiser, plus we have received in kind support from Groundwork london, along with a cash fund. We have also received great donations from the community, and our amazing Sponsors Barry and his team at Mc Govern Carpentry are making and installing all the raised beds.

Plus we have the plant and top soil donations from Alek our generous gardener, so far, I think we have done remarkably well yay. :)-D.

So as always ED watch this space, for any updates, and we will keep you posted

Hi Forumites

Hope you are all well.

Thought I would to update this thread with answers to questions I have been asked re the project.

Thanks guys for the continuing interest, however I need to clarify this is not a SNUB project as highlighted in the Subject matter.

Heather Burrell who is chair of the Vale residents association, and the brains behind the community garden, was introduced to me by James Barber.

SNUB were looking for a community garden project. James bless him thought Heather's project, and SNUBs Success with the gardens for Schools project, would work well together. And we do so, a big thanks to James Barber.

SNUB approached Gardens for Schools Sponsor, Mc Govern Carpentry, who had built and installed the raised beds, at Goodrich, Summerhouse, and Goose green School, in 2009/2010, who were very happy to continue their support, and sponsorship for the Community garden project.

Along with funds from Groundwork london, cash and in kind support, and the Goose is out event, donations from the commumnity, and local Gardener Alek Nickolic ( did i get it wrong again :))) we can now carry on with the garden.

SNUB have been successful, in East Dulwich, simply because we have a great community, who want to participate in community projects. SNUB ED's mission statement.

Thanks again ED, and yes Community action works, and oh yes it rocks

:)-D yay

http://snubdulwich.org.uk/

Edited because my punctuation and spelling is atrocious, despite previewing the post :)

SNUB ED

Hey all, me again. Latest update on the Dulwich Community garden, is phase 1 of the raised beds built and installed by Barry and his team at Mc Govern carpentry and Design, is planned for the 4th March, weather permitting.:))

We are also planning another plant donation day, however because the theme is Physic garden, we will be asking for specific plant donations. So if you have any spare Nasturtiums, Pulsatillas, Lemon balms, fennel or sweet thyme, and you would like to donate them, please hold on to them, for the next planned donation day.

As always guys, watch this space for updates.

Thanks as always :)-D

Any Nasturtiums anybody had will have been zapped by the cold by now, Monica :)

They are hardy annuals anyway, and do not normally last through the winter, though they carried on this year throughout the milder weather.

People may have nasturtium seeds, though I know that quite a few have already been donated. They're very easy to grow, just shove them in the ground where you want them :)

Hi All

Hope you are all keeping warm. I am on the beg again.>:D< If there are any lovely garden center managers or staff reading this post, then you are obviously interested in the progress of the Dulwich community garden. Alek our lovely landscape gardener has promised to donate some top soil, however we need more.

So please ( Im on on bended knees, not great with my dodgy back ) lovely garden center managers/staff could you please donate some top soil to our community garden. Funds are limited, and although I am currently looking at other funding streams, it may take a while.

Look forward to hearing from you, and as always watch this space.

:)-D

Hi All

Further update, as I am updating this thread, the fabulous Mc Govern guys are building and installing the raised beds on site. :)-D Nice one lads, Project manager Heather has made them Bacon sarnies (with Brown sauce???) To set them up.

Its great when a plan comes together.

Thank you Barry and your amazing team at Mc Govern Carpentry and Design

Hi Charlie, Thank you for the link, very inspiring indeed. We do need to increase pollination, especially in built up areas. Although we have the parks, Peckham Rye and Dulwich, a meadow of beautiful wild flowers, which will encourage more bees to pollinate, in the community, is a project SNUB would like to get involved with.

:))

Further update on the garden, we now have 9 raised beds on site. Thanks to Barry, Peter, Jake and Mickey at Mc Govern carpentry and design, for committing your valuable time, labour and materials to the garden. The beds look amazing, when I visited the site, early Sunday morning, I had to fight back the tears. Our community garden is now taking shape, and I can see it is going to be a beautiful physic garden.

We shall be having a project day next Sunday 4th March. Anyone can drop by between 11 am and 3 pm - it would be great to have as many people as possible to line and fill the beds.

We don't have many garden tools at present so if you could bring your own shovel or rake for the day - that would be very helpful.

Hi All

Just a reminder We shall be having a project day this Sunday, the 4th of March. Anyone can drop by between 11 am and 3 pm - it would be great to have as many people as possible to line and fill the beds.

We don't have many garden tools at present so if you could bring your own shovel or rake for the day - that would be very helpful.

Hopefully you will all be in the mood, for a spot of gardening, in our physic garden, whilst soaking up the sun

Hey all, Just an update to thank all the lovely people of East Dulwich, who turned up, on Sunday to help with the Community garden. Even though it was raining, and windy, community action really did shine through on that day.

Thank you also to Brian Paddock Mayoral candidate who stopped by the Garden, who has been following the progress of our community garden.

Good luck with the candidacy Brian.

As always ED watch this space for updates, and events, over the next few weeks.

Community action rocks guys yay :)-D

Thank you Jo'sEnglish. We have a bid in for funding with Metropolitan Garden Association.

http://www.mpga.org.uk/, who fund projects very similar to your and ours. There are lots of funders you can apply to. However the Dulwich community garden, is doing so well, because of the generosity of our community and of our sponsors,

Groundwork London and Mc Govern Carpentry and Design.

Keep us updated with your project, and good luck with CGS.

Hi all again, only little me :)-D

Thanks to all those, who have PMd me regarding donations and help for the garden, you are all so lovely. Hopefully we will be receiving more seedlings for the garden pretty soon. With the lovely warm weather on our door steps, me thinks thinks the garden will look truly gorgeous

yay the community action is so rocking right now :)-D X