EDSNUB new project community garden

monica

Big thanks to John from Chener bookshop, Lordship Lane who popped in, literally 30 minutes ago and gave me ?50.00 to sponsor a garden bed. ED Community never cease to amaze me.

Thank you John, and the Vale residents association also thank you.

:)-D

Hey ED, Hope you are all well. Just a further update on the Community garden.

We need pathways for the garden, however because of the little cash funding, we have received, at the moment, we do not have enough money to supply the pathways for the garden.

We are now looking towards the kindness and the community spirit of the local builders merchants, to help us with this part of the project. Local Gardeners if you have any suggests, please let us know. All help and tips, will be appreciated.

Thanks again ED, remember we could not have done this without you. :)-D

Community Action Rocks

Hi All, hope all is well in the land of ED. Since my last post, we have been approached by Local Gardener Alek Nikolik (Sorry Alek :)I know I have spelt it wrong, who yet again is going to try and help us with the pathways, by asking local builders merchants for their support.

However in the true community spirit of ED, If you are a builders merchant and you may be reading this post, and you want to give your support to this amazing project, step forward and send us either a pm, or post your interest on this thread.

Thanks as always, ED

Community action rocks

:)-D

http://snubdulwich.org.uk/

The Hogwart's Bed is progressing slowly but surely. After months of searching, we think we finally found the appropriate herbs at an obscure garden centre in Scotland, will try to order them this week.

In the meantime, we've installed the centre piece, a cuddly sculpture whom we've christened Eric O'Phiuchus (long story!).

Special thanks to Anna at the North Dulwich Pot and Plant Garden, Peter for the lifting and magic mastic, and Royston for the logistics.

Community Action Rocks, yay!

Brilliant nice one Robin, I love it. Must get along and see how the garden is doing. Have been snowed under with moving. Must have a copy for the SNUB gallery. I am assuming the statue is named after a Hogwarts character. Looks like one.:))

Hi, Monica! Actually, we're creating our own mythology... Ophiuchus is a star constellation representing the Roman healer Asclepius, who learned the secrets of keeping death at bay after observing one serpent bringing another healing herbs, so he is particularly relevant to the Physic Garden concept. To prevent the entire human race from becoming immortal under Asclepius' care, Zeus killed him with a bolt of lightening, but later placed his image in the heavens to honour his good works.

I'll let you know when we plant the Mandrake. Am particularly keen to get the St John's Wort in asap, as that's said to create miracles on St John's Day, which is June 24th. Are there any miracles that you'd like to request?? :))

Hi Sue! Yes, Mandrake is the one that screams... I finally found one, but apparently they don't like to be planted until September, so I'll have to wait as we don't want to upset it.

But in the meantime, I've ordered some Spikenard, St John's Wort, Valerian, and Wormwood which will be going in as soon as I get them...

Hi rch, Love the mythology, Spikenard is a very spunky herb, it is also referred too in the bible. I think it was the herb, they used to wash Jesus's feet with. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to see herbs in the garden, which work alongside the phases of the moon. Skullcap is a great herb, it works with the body's energy system, especially the Central nervous System. Calms the mind, when we have the full moon ;) Wormwood another magical and spiritual herb, great for moving energies.

Took my niece to the garden yesterday, on a rainy Monday morning, planning to take her for a picnic when the weather changes. :) Great work as always rch

Community action rocks YAY

Hi Monica... yes, Spikenard is referred to in the Bible as the oil that Mary Magdalene used to wash Jesus' feet - it was what she carried in her symbolic alabaster jar. Spikenard is said to have antibacterial properties and to boost the immune system. Back in my Impressionable Youth I bought some Spikenard essence from Absolute Aroma - it smells a bit like Patchouli, which is why I thought it would be fun to grow some. Apparently it likes rocks, so I'm looking for some nice ones to lay at Eric's feet for the Spikenard to grow on.

Skullcap sounds interesting, too, will look into it.

A lot of people from the hospital are eating their lunch in the garden when the weather is nice, which is lovely to see. At the moment the Hogwart's Bed is full of orphaned Feverfew plants, which have gone rampant in the rain, but I'm due to receive our herbs on the Summer Solstice and will definitely plant them before St John's Day!

Next we need to raise funding to do something with the pathways between the beds... at the moment I'm helping Heather to look for 7 cubic metres of an underlay called MOT Type 1, whatever that is...

Community Action Rocks, YAY!

Hi rch, Alek a local gardener who has been helping with the garden, with donation of plants and soil, mentioned compacted gravel for between the beds, it works out cheaper then paving, and the beds can still be accessed by the disabled. Alek has been busy talking to local builders merchants re donating the gravel, however no body has come forward. Thank you Alek as always for your support. I will ask Heather or Kate to speak to Alek directly re compacted gravel. And yes we must look at more funding for the garden.

Will have a look at the heritage lottery next week, and there is also Esme Fairbairn.

Keep up the good work guys, garden really does look beautiful, maybe the next step is trying to integrate the blue hoarding on the side of the garden, with the garden :)

Hi all, just an update, we are still waiting for our fairy god mother/father to wave their magic wand and bring us a generous donation from either a Builders merchant for paving or compacted gravel. Or if an officer of Southwark council is reading this, do you know anyone in the gardens department, who may have some paving they can donate? James Barber any suggestions?

Thanks guys the community action is still rocking yay

ps SNUB are busy working on their other projects, Recycle a bike for the community and SNUB bags 2012, so I may wander off for a bit, but I will be back with my begging hat. :)

Ciao for now

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, hope all is well in the land of ED. I have wandered back hoping a fairy godfather/godmother in a disguise of a builders merchants, would have seen our plea for donated compact gravel. Alas it not happened as yet, so I may have to put on my hard hat, and go around and do some begging, aka cowboy builders :)

The lovely Robin Crookshankhilton popped in today, and gave me an update on the garden, the herbs look amazing and with the topsy turvey weather conditions, (Climate change)we have been experiencing, the herbs and the flowers have grown so well.

SNUB are currently working on our independent Audit 2011 so we can apply for funding, with the Heritage lottery fund for the garden. There will also be other fund raising events over the coming months, so as always ED, watch this space, I am never too far away;)

Community action Rocks :)

I popped into the garden last week, Monica, and it is looking really good.

People have clearly been putting a lot of work into the planting and maintenance.

Really interesting to have the information about the plants, too.

Hi ED, Further update, our lovely lovely Robin Crookshankhilton is currently working on getting the blue hoarding alongside the garden, decorated with either stencil or similar. The blue hoarding as you may have noticed represents the NHS, and the garden is obviously on the hospital site, and we dont want to lose sight of that. However we feel the space behind the garden, next to 7 acres (our nickname for the 7 acres of open space next door)should become part of the garden. So hopefully in the next few weeks, with the permission from the hospital, you will see lovely images of leaves or similar appear on the blue hoarding. We are also still working on the pathways of the garden.

As always ED watch this space

Community Action Rocks :)

Hey all ED folks, no updates, but I thought I would say hi, still never too far away. Just busy working on other SNUB projects. New SNUB 2012 bags funded by Cleaner Greener Safer, will be available in late August, early September. Let you know pick up points nearer the time. And hopefully a new SNUB bikes project with Stewart and Matt, with a Dr Bike session funded by Dulwich community in Early September,to start the new project off.

We are still working on trying to find a solution for the paving in the garden, however with a very tiny budget, its proving to be a challenge. But we do like a challenge, and hopefully our positivity will attract a sponsor/funder.:)

I am holding out for Sarah Beeny/Leonardo Di Caprio :)or both.

As always ED, Community Action Rocks

YAY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey All

Hope all is well in the land of ED, after my week away in Norfolk, thought I would update you on donations and news on funding. We have had a donations of herbs from the lovely Catherine, keen gardener who donated Evening primrose and Vervain, thank you Catherine. Funding will start again in the next few weeks for the paving, hopefully that will be successful. As always we are putting all our positive love and energy into the garden, it looks great, and we keep receiving lots of positive feedback from the hospital and the community.

If you have a chance pop into the garden, and let your senses guide you.:)

Thanks as always ED and finally

Community action rocks yay :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ed, Hope you are well. Further updates on the garden will be new paving soon. We still have enough in the the goose event, to fund paving. I went along on Monday with my niece Francesca, and we walked barefoot around the beds. I love walking barefoot, Francesca is only 15 months, my little angel:) and she just loved smelling all the herbs. She was slightly freaked out by Eric the statue, however by the time we left she was stroking him, asking me what it was. AAAAHHHH.

Go and have a look at our amazing physic garden and take in the relaxing effect of all those lovely herbs and flowers.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaahhhhhh. Don't worry, Eric is trained not to eat small children... he's actually quite tame.

I spoke to Heather yesterday, she is organising a Physic Garden Open Day to celebrate the herb harvest on Sunday 23rd September, more on that later.

Lol thanks for that rch, Francesca loves herbs and flowers, and loves visiting the garden with me. We now go to the garden on Thursday afternoons, when I look after her. Its amazing to see the herbs grow so fast, and the story behind the physic garden develop.

Hopefully I can make it along to the open day, Im working, however I will try and make it.

Hopefully the wonderful community of East Dulwich who have supported the garden, with their love and enthusiasm, can also make the open day.

Community action rocks yay

• 4 weeks later...

Tea and Tincture Workshop. Thursday 11th October 6pm to 8pm. Dulwich Community Hospital Physic Garden, East Dulwich Grove SE22 8PT

Discover the Physic garden in the grounds of The Dulwich Community Hospital

Learn about the medicinal properties of cultivated herbs, flowers and shrubs in the physic garden.

Create your own herbal tea and herbal tinctures at the workshop.

Sponsored by The Vale Residents Association and Groundwork London.

Limited spaces available.

http://www.snubdulwich.org.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, just a subtle reminder of the Tea and Tincture workshop, hosted by the Project managers of the Dulwich Community Physic garden. Details in the previous post.

And no my loves, I wont be running it, I cant attend, however I know, you will have lots of fun.:)