EDSNUB new project community garden

monica

Excellent project, Monica and helpers.

During the First World War East Dulwich Hospital was used by Canadian soldiers who got a blighty.

They convalesced in the hospital garden.

I've only ever seen one photo which I've uploaded here.

I've never seen the left hand side of the postcard.

John K

Hello everyone :)

I can see the brownfield site of Dulwich community hospital from my window! There is a large piece of concrete in the middle which was where the hospital was. This will be difficult to get up unless you get a driller. This could otherwise be used as a foundation for a building as a meeting/tea point for the community garden. The rest of the site is covered in large shrubs particularly buddleia's which I'd recommend should be dug up over the winter when the roots are weaker.

I have a degree in landscape architecture and my dissertation was on community gardening so I am very pleased this site is being used and would be happy to get involved.

The success of community gardens is down to community involvement so commitment, regular meetings and input from residents is valuable.

Lili

Hi all thanks for your generous donations so far, I cant wait to see the project take shape. If there are any forumites, who would still like to donate, please drop the plants off to Healthmatters Lordship Lane, and I will make sure they will get to the site. The clearing of the site will start on the first of November, and the removal of the hoarding should be very imminent. Thank you edhistory, can we use the image, if we need too?. Thank you Landscaper for your input. We have Groundwork london who have given the project a small amount of funding, but a lot of in kind support, including design.

We are also very lucky to have sponsors Barry Mc Govern and his team who are building and installing the raised beds.

The Dulwich community garden (working title) is being built on our amazing Community spirit

Thanks again all

:)-D

Today local gardener Alek Nikolic donated 3 trays of plants, all herbs suitable for companion planting, to the Dulwich community garden

Big thanks to Alec, you are wonderful. So far the garden is being built by the heart and soul of the community. Today clearing of the site began, And yet still no funding. Lets see how far we can get with no funding. However we are still working on fund raising, and hopefully will receive confirmation of funding soon.

Watch this space for more updates.

http://snubdulwich.org.uk/

Edited to spell Alek's name correctly. :)-D

Monica, would you like The Goose Is Out! to hold a fundraising gig for the community garden?

We'd be very happy to do that, just let me know and we'll sort something out.

We'd need several weeks to get the musicians together, sort a venue and promote the gig, and it's coming up to the Christmas season, so let's speak soon.

Always happy to do something to promote community spirit.

Sue, thank you so much, that is a lovely gesture. We would love you too. Let me know what we can do to help.

We are so touched. I love this community.:)-D

I*rate the site is at Dulwich hospital by the main entrance, on the right. The site was just cleared by the Police community payback team, and the members of the vale residents association, will be helping to clear the site. The garden itself will be a community garden, the theme is physic garden. Dulwich will have its very own physic garden, we are going to encourage the community to help maintain the garden, however the project itself will be run by the Grove vale residents association. SNUB my bit of passion on the side are facilitating the project.

http://snubdulwich.org.uk/

I will keep this thread updated as and when I can.

Sue you know where I am, please lets speak soon

Thank you again.

Monica, Nyge and I will try to call in tomorrow sometime, probably the afternoon - we have a gig at DHFC tonight and will be very late to bed after clearing up :))

If not it will probably be Monday. When would be the best time for you?

We're keen to discuss ideas with you, we were talking about various possibilities last night.

Did you know Southwark Council have a free one off fundraising special on Wednesday 1st December? It's in John Harvard Library from 9.30pm to 4.45pm.

The contact is Catherine, Tel: 020 7525 3645 Fax: 020 8196 2336 Mob: 07960 311 499

[email protected].

Might be worth giving her a ring just to see if it would be useful for you. Places are limited so you'd need to be quick.

Thanks to the lovely people who left plants on Heather's doorstep the other evening, very sweet of you. We still need plants and Heather is happy with plants being left on her doorstep.

Sue and Nigel, great seeing you yesterday, lots of great ideas, thanks for the tip on the fundraising event. Il be working, so I cant attend.

There will be a raffle at the fundraiser, if there are any businesses who would like to donate a prize for the raffle, please let me know, via PM or on this thread. Funds raised will be donated to the Dulwich community garden.

Thanks again ED. Community action rocks :)-D

We anticipate that the fundraiser will be on a Sunday from 2pm to 9pm so hopefully everybody will be able to come, including those with children (under 12s will be free entry) and those who work during the day.

We're just sorting out the venue and the date, and once we've done that we will post more information, either on this thread or on a separate thread.

Hi Forumites

Update on the community garden, we are now planning a weeding day for the end of this month, date to be confirmed. We need to get the site cleared for the membrane sheet, so the raised beds can be installed. Raised beds will made to measured and installed by our lovely sponsors Barry and his team, thanks guys. We are also looking for a mobile coffee van who can either donate hot drinks on the weeding day, or sell them at cost price. If that sounds like you, please let us know. And finally we are now asking those lovely volunteers to come forward and help us clear the site for the next stage. So please lovely forumites, if you have a few hours spare on the to be confirmed date, please let us know.All we ask is, you bring your sunny disposition, a pair of gardening gloves and the Brown bags as supplied by the council.

Weeding date to be confirmed, so as always watch this space.:)-D

Edited to try and add sponsors, however cannot mention local business in this section.

The fundraiser day will be Sunday 22 January at DHFC (next to Sainsbury's).

Probably from 2 - 9pm (come and go as you like once you've paid, children welcome).

?5, children under 12 free, and there will be a raffle too :)

We are just sorting the bands, and we will try to arrange for food to be available.

For more info watch this space!

ETA: Confirmed so far are Fran McGillivray & Mike Burke, and the John McLean Band, all excellent local musicians who you may have seen either at the Goose Green Fair (part of the Dulwich Festival) or the Crystal Palace Road Street Party.

Two spots down, five to go!

Chener Books is (are?) very kindly donating some raffle prizes.

If any other local businesses are reading this thread and would like to donate prizes (we will publicise you all on the forum and at the fundraiser day) please let me (or Monica) know - otherwise we may come and beg in person :)

Does anybody fancy organising a (home made) cake stall?

Good idea Sue, we all love a nice bit of cake. I will ask my friends who are all amazing cake makers, and if someone from the ED WI, is reading this, can we charm you into donating your cake baking skills for a worthy cause.

:)-D Cheers chaps

Excellent news!

We have just heard that Wizz Jones has agreed to give his services free to headline at the fundraiser on 22 January!!!

OK he's not from East Dulwich, but he is from Sarf Lahndon :))

We have also got some of the Wayne Drury Project to come along (some of whom ARE local), who supported Wizz when he appeared at the Ivy House a couple of months back. Not the one who has gone back to the States, obviously, not sure his commitment to the music extends to paying his own return fare to the UK to play a fundraiser for free :))