new coffee bar (was Fresh New Gossip for this Forum)

karter

OK.....Here we are, finally some new gossip courtesy of your local neighbourhood landlord. A very trendy coffee bar is looking at premises in East Dulwich and have made an offer. This deal is not through an agent, its strictly through a private landlord.;-) If the deal works out then this will certainly bring East Dulwich further up the trendy ladder. This will not affect other coffee shops trade because it's different(not starbucks or costa etc). Some landlords actually care about not replicating products and business in the area and are fortunate enough to choose their tenants.

Also, I have today been into the new and improved Karavan on Lordship Lane . I must say I was rather impressed. It's calling itself an Eco shop and stocks very good products from bamboo towels to energy saving Eco items to Eco paint .After talking to the chap it seems they will be stocking more exciting items in the near future. All very good and very original.Recommended.(tu)

K

bamboo towels ?!?

Does that sound like a comfortable and absorbent material to anyone else? (!)

Coffee shop - the wife will be pleased, will it sell (in her words) "proper coffee, not that watered down American cr*p"?

karter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A very trendy coffee bar is looking at premises in

> East Dulwich and have made an offer.

We don't need any more, there are enoiught loca business that need our siupport without some corporate Pap on the doorstep.

>If the deal works out then this will certainly

> bring East Dulwich further up

> the trendy ladder. This will not affect other

> coffee shops trade because it's different(not

> starbucks or costa etc).

If you're talking a Tschibo (SP??) surely the starnages concept (Catalogue good and Coffee!)

ED IS trendy, by the fact that it's not like **every** other high street. Lets hope it stays this way!

Who wants to be trendy...trends change.....

E

Why has everyone got such a downer on super perfect Starbucks, with their deep luscious chairs, assortment of confections and great buckets of super latte?

I like to drink coffee, and I love to drink Starbucks. I have been to coffee plantations in Kenya and Jamaica, and can tell good coffee as well as the next person. Oh how I loved the Starbucks in Sainsburys. What a loss that was when it closed. I'll meet you all up there for a drink when it re-opens though. Bet you can't stay away.

Oh for a poppey seed lemon muffin or a slice of blueberry cheesecake - pretend you don't like it if you like...

DM

glad to see you back on the same thread.No more guessing games though please .;-) Nothing wrong with Starbucks in my books. I have to say though meditteranean friends of mine think that the coffee is not so good but I guess thats just a mediteranean thing thing.They love their lavazza.

The proposed establishment is none of the above.

Oh my god, is this turning into another guessing game. ! :-S

Why oh why on god's earth do we need yet another bloody coffee shop, chain or independent! I actually now wish we did have some high street names lining LL, because at least we might get some variety then!

DM

>Why has everyone got such a downer on super perfect Starbucks?

Because every time I see at starbucks it makes me think of G. W. Bush and that fact that Americans consider themselves to be a 'superior race' to the rest of the world. It makes me angry.

I use Starbucks as well. I go in to pee in their loo when caught short.

jim_the-Chin

That would be a great idea. It could be a sort of literary lace for the sharp minds of ED to hang out (that excludes me then!) I have images of secret conversations, in secluded corners. Conversations that could change the world......I'm getting caught up in the whole filmic scene of it all!!......

Guys, do you not know anything?:) There is a tea shop opening up too.It's progressing fast.Its what used to be the chandelier shop near Karavan Eco Shop but maybe that was mentioned on another thread.

Thanks for the updates Karter

People have read me ranting about chains on here before but in this instance I don't see whats to get worked up about. The far end of Northcross Rd could do with something (anything) and the type of coffee shop Karter mentions fits the bill. There is that Nero on LL (Nero the nest of the "big" 3 chains by far IMO - sorry DM)but NC Rd is much better suited to this kind of place -

MadWorld74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DM

>

> >Why has everyone got such a downer on super

> perfect Starbucks?

>

> Because every time I see at starbucks it makes me

> think of G. W. Bush and that fact that Americans

> consider themselves to be a 'superior race' to the

> rest of the world. It makes me angry.

>

> I use Starbucks as well. I go in to pee in their

> loo when caught short.

I think you're overreacting about Americans. If you think all Americans consider themselves superior, its like saying all "poms" are pasty white and don't wash very often. Which obviously is not the case.

as an expat american i can verify tha we do actually think we are superior to evereyone else. It's true, why bother lying about it anymore. we actually have secret meetings with special handshakes and everything! all you non-americans are totally missing out. we also completely support everything george w bush does and says, that's why he got 100% of the vote in both the last elections and we wait eagerly for starbucks to complete their world domination and bring their special blends of coffee and coffee related beverages to every corner of the world! it's all part of our evil plan.

really, no joke.

all that said, i would LOVE to see another independent shop that does proper coffee around here, you can never have too much. especially if they have tasty cakes and pastries as well (to help me keep my american girth)

I really don't see the point of another damned coffee shop and I don't care how bloody trendy it is. Trends are transient anyway. I've absolutely zero desire to sit in some craphole teaming with mums, babies and pushchairs. If I want a coffee I put the bloody kettle on and make it myself.