Not In My Front Yard!!

SeanMacGabhann

They have tried to ban the plastic bag - next they will move on to the wheel any any other useful invention.

The wheely bin is a great invention - what this campaign should be about is how bin men are no longer required to go and collect the bins - hence they sit outside peoples houses all day awaiting collection.

Well, I can sort of understand where the roots of the opposition come from. They are ugly and not all properties have a neat nook to store them so they end up in the way or generally looking crap. However there is not much alternative as black bags look worse especially once they are ripped open and the contents strewn around, also causing smells and general health hazards.

Typical Daily Mail to jump on it and take it too far. Obviously the picture the Mail uses is from collection day when all the bins have been deliberately wheeled onto the street, so they - as usual - are distorting the view to their advantage.

I think they are different things Mick Mac

Plastic Bags = a lot of production for not a lot of reusable value. Plastic bags haven't been banned but there is now a premium on not reusing them. This seems a small step but not unreasonable

Wheely bins seem to be a solution to several problems (foxes and other vermin in urban areas for one big one) which some people seem to be inordinately upset about

Oh, but Sean they're all modern and ugly and they don't look like bins did in the good old days....

You know, when your neighbours looked out for you and everything was cheap and there was on crime and you could leave your back door unlocked and young 'uns respected their elders......

If you can't see that wheelie bins are at the black heart of Broken Britain then I don't see how I can possibly reason with you.

we are a family of four and we only chuck one 30L brabantia (what else) bin bag a week into the wheelie bin, sometimes two. my neighbours are a house of two and their bin is always overflowing by collection day. Hmmmmm. I should get a discount on the council tax!

Looking at the leafy Leeds suburb picture I am trying to imagine how It could be improved by using refuse sacks.I suppose the odd corpse found time to time in the "ol'wheelie" could be discovered earlier before it turns to mulch.

I think we should start a "save the wheelie" counter campaign, the ad could be voice overed by Jonathan Ross, weally what do you think?

As we speak I am sitting in a "Wheelie Bin" ( lid slightly propped open with a copy of "you" ) & it's not bad at all you know.

W**F

I'm with the Daily Mail here, let's banish these plastic horrors and return to the traditional galvanised bin with seperate lid. They've given so much to the culture over the years which is more than the wheelie will ever do.

If in the Godfather Sony Corleone had to climax the beating he meted out to Carlo Rizzi with a wheelie bin lid, there would have been a a long pause while he wrestled the thing from its moorings and frankly it would have looked as if he was fanning the treacherous Rizzi rather than attempting to kill him.

Whichever way you slice it the dramatic ipmact of the scene would have been compromised.

And how would Top Cat have summoned his companions without the aid of two galvanised bin lids? He would have had to have resorted to yelling and caterwauling and by the time the gang assembled he would be too hoarse to outline their latest caper. It could have been that Benny The Ball or Brain would have been the 'brains' behind the gang and they would all have ended up in the hoosegow within the first five minutes. Not good, not good at all.

And though a small thing, the 'Anybody can make a mistake, said the Dalek climbing down from the dustbin' joke would never have existed and we'd be the slightly poorer for it.

So I for one am joining the campaign.

But only if it has a galvanised bin option.

And I don't have to kiss Melanie Phillips

The modern wheeliebin makes it all too easy for the so-called modern bin-man.

Easy wheeling. Pneumatic lifting. Scarely any danger from 'hot ashes'.

Bring back the old bin, when bins were bins and crime was a lower.

String 'em up! STRING 'EM UP, I say.. ooh, sorry.. got carried away.

Some of us are a 2-Bin Family, don't you jolly well know...

Didn't do me any good with the Bin Men recently though...

"Sorry, Guv, only allowed to take 1 Bin per household.."...getting more like bleedin' Greenwich every day....you can't do this, you can't do that, you need to have this to be able do that...jokers...

Off to the local B and Q's to dump all the excess Black Bags I went. ( for anyone else doing that do NOT leave any items that you can be traced with)...

The wheelie bins are there to make the dustmans job easier apparently, i am all for making peoples lives easier, but i remember once when my mum worked as a house manager for a warden controlled block of flats for the elderly in islington she had a letter of complaint from the council on behalf of the binmen as all the wheelie bins were kept in an area which had THREE steps to street level, the letter stated that the refuse men refuse to take the bins up the steps due to fear of injury and that residents should make sure bins are moved to street level before collection day, so my mum ended up moving them (all ten) on her own as you couldnt expect 90 year old maude to do it whilst balancing on her zimmer

I like the way Lewisham do it in "leafy" (:-S) Sydenham. We have 2 wheely bins, one for ALL recycling, which IMO is a lot better than a seperate box and bag for various things (I think they do offer that option too). And one for other waste. We tend to pretty much fill the recycling one each week, but only about 1/3 fill the other one.

Can't see why anyone would complain about them...

... But, a former colleague of mine who lived in Bexley did say he was a bit fed up with having 4 seperate wheely bins in his drive, and I must admit, that would seem a bit much!