Question for all you computer geeks

Ladygooner

Go to In Control Panel>Display>Settings tab>Advanced button

Look at the different tabs for one that has an additional 'control panel' and open/start it. On my PC I have a GeForce 7900 GS tab so when I open the new Control Panel I have a Display option where I can then rotate. I guess you'll have something similar to look for then configure.

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well I'll be.. I've just flipped mine upside down

> (and back again). Didn't know that!

>

> Pity the fool who let's me near their computer

> before I forget this shortcut :)

Well I've just tried it (as a special present for hubby for when he comes in!!) but it aint doin it!!:(. I must have a party-pooper of a computer.

My daughter (1) did that to my laptop and it took me HOURS to figure out what on earth the combination of keys was that she'd hit... think I eventually found something in control panel but wasn't impressed! If only I'd known that shortcut it would have made life a lot easier!

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just turn his monitor upside down then - simples!

*huge burst of laughter*

Oh we have so many comics on this forum...serves me right for laughing at Ladygooner earlier (re. Matthew123's similar comment).

As for you HAL9000...well...you just wait...(*waves fist*)

*contemplates appropriate revenge*

This happened to me recently, lol.

I carried my laptop downstairs when it was on, and when I got downstairs everything was upside down :))

Took me f-ing ages to sort, and I had to phone my computer nerd brother :-$

If I recall correctly, it's a graphics thing - right click on the desktop and go into graphics options, and it's something to do with rotation - you need to rotate it back 180 degrees.

The worst thing is that everything is mirror image with the mouse :))

• 3 weeks later...

Help please if you can! I'm trying to correct a fault in my other half's Adobe software programme. I found some, what I thought were simple, instructions to rectify it. The bottom line is I need to find the preference file and alter it's name. It shouldn't be hidden as part of the instructions were to make hidden files unhidden.

However even though I have the name of the file for the life of me I can't find it through the usual search methods Windows Vista allows. Is there a way to find every file so I can go through the list and hopefully find the one I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Declan

Can you open a command prompt in Vista?

if you can, type:

cd\

dir *.* /s > c:\declan.txt

that should create a text file in the root of c with every file name - open it in any text editor and you should be able to search for the file name that way

hopefully that file hasn't ALREADY been renamed in the past of course!

the .ext Hal refers to us whatever extension the file has - in this case .psp

so he is correct in saying that if the filename is exactly unchanged his method is cleaner. But if it's slightly different then, as with teh Vista searches, you will draw a blank

oh and the /s makes it search all subdirectories instead of just the current one

Open My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options.

Go to View tab and uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types' checkbox.

Then you should be able to use Windows Search by typing '*.' then the file extension name (ie. PDF). It will then list all files with that extension in selected location.

I'd be inclined to avoid any UIey stuff and do as the boys above suggested, particularly in Vista.

Or just write a little python script and run that.

Did you know if you hold shift and right click in a directory in explorer you get an 'open command window here' option which is nice to avoid typing those hideously long diectory paths.

MP if you could write that in Spanish I'll give to the Mrs. I've no idea what some of the terminology you use in English means but thanks anyway!

I'd like to avoid the lengthy directory path (I know that one). Vista is quite new to me. I don't know if it's better or worse than what I had before as I don't know it well enough.

Waiting for her to get off her laptop to try the suggested methods.

If you can't find it by name, there might be another way. If you can access the preference settings though the Adobe application's menu, change a preference and save changes - and note the exact time, close Adobe then search for any files (i.e. *.*) that have been modified in the last day. Look for a file whose time stamp matches the noted time.

I hope this makes sense.

The DIR command requires use of a /A flag to list hidden files. Type HELP DIR for more details.

The Windows search also requires specification that hidden files/folders are also to be searched. It's set in the More Advanced options (in XP, at least).

I'd recommend using the Windows search program, using a minimal filename specification -- just a few adjoining letters of the expected filename, and not assuming any particular extension; eg searching for pref will find adobepref9.psp. And make sure your search path isn't unduly restricted. If that fails, Hal's suggestion is good.

My bet would be on somewhere within the Documents and Settings hierarchy as the likely home for the file, quite probably under a folder called something like Adobe.

jaybee82, I'm not convinced that the Windows search options mirror the Explorer folder display ones.

• 2 months later...

OK...techo-thicko here.

Could somebody please tell me how to do that thing...whereby you provide a link (e.g. titled: google how to bake a cake) but then where that title is changed to something else (e.g: check this out). It is so cool...and I would love to learn how to do it.

Thank you.

*awaits assistance most impatiently*

Oh PGC, I don't wish to sound ungrateful...but those instructions are too complex for my pea brain (*hangs head in shame*)

What is a URL icon? And what do you mean when you say "box where you type message"? I don't ever see a box where I am able to type a message.

Sorry...ooh dear...I don't suppose you could...erm...simplify?....if possible?

*looks well and truly pathetic*