classic board games

felt-tip

I have been given a ?100 amazon voucher and I want to get some board games. Currently I have backgammon, monopoly and scrabble (deluxe, no less).

Any suggestions on board games - my mind is all a-blank.

Also has anyone played bananagrams? Is it worth buying instead of travel scrabble?

Thanks

I'd definitely get Boggle (just the original 4x4 one is still the best). Best with more than 2 players though.

For up to 7 players, a game called 'Gambit 7' is a really simple but great game if you're after something less 'eyes down' that doesn't last too long which is a bit more fun.

The worst game we own is called 'Mindtrap'. Don't ever buy Mindtrap. It stinks.

Great suggestions thanks. I have ordered the 3D connect 4 one for the missus' birthday as she once hammered me at that in a pub over the course of 3 hours and about 30 games.

I got Operation for my Mum last christmas (don't ask) and it's RUBBISH. They have removed all the real body parts and replaced them with pathetically PC euphemisms...

Railroader.

The ad showed grizzled prospectors, big cases of dynamite being used to blow up rail tracks, locomotives toppling and 'injun' attacks.

The reality was a rather dull game of laying down tracks on set routes and seeing who got their train to the end first.

The only real excitement came when the throw of the dice exceeded your length of track and then something had to happen, can't remember what.

Last time I looked on a classic board games site it was about eighty quid.

Mousetrap was good though.

Apples to Apples has proven a hilarious game, whatever your age or inebriation.

Somebody comes out with a decription from a card in their own hand, and the other players need to select an item in their hand and prove that it more closely matches the original desciption than the other competitors.

For example, one may and try to match 'Britney Spears' with 'Diseased'.

Anyway, it's more fun to play :)

I'll second Cranium if you've got a good group around.

And I do like Boggle and Trivial Pursuit too - get an edition with a good board and then you can always top up questions if need to later.

The other option might be to buy yourself a set of poker chips and cards - lets friends play without having to have cash at stake.

Articulate is quite possibly the best game in the world. You should also get Pictionary and get a whiteboard, so much fun, and there's this other game that is like pictionary but you have to make the objects out of playdo, i think it might be called rapido?

bloonoo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

and there's this other

> game that is like pictionary but you have to make

> the objects out of playdo, i think it might be

> called rapido?

I think that may be Cranium. Brilliant game, as it allows people with different skills to shine in different sections. Trivia, verbal reasoning, performing, drawing and making thingies out of clay (my favourite).