East London Line

edcam

It started today. We went to Bond Street for a bit of Chrimbo shopping via Canada Water from Denmark Hill. Loved it! Very quick, very easy and very comfortable.

The chaos of pre-Christmas West End was much soothed by such an uncomplicated journey. I expect it will be a little more hectic at peak hours but overall I think it will be a big bonus for the area.

I've done the journey via Victoria countless times and have never, ever made it in 15-20 mins! I'm not sure that was possible.

It was 26 mins via CW. I'd have called that a good journey time via Victoria (and without the tube interchange misery.)

edcam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've done the journey via Victoria countless times

> and have never, ever made it in 15-20 mins!

Really?? DH to Victoria is 9 mins and Green Park is only one stop away on the Victoria Line. I can understand it taking longer to get to Bond Street Station, but Bond St itself was a quick hop via the train.

Agree, in the rush hour 15-20 min is totally impossible

womanofdulwich Wrote:

> If you have ever got to Victoria mainline station

> at 8.20 am and thought you could just get on the

> victoria line- believe me its not that easy-

> queues/ platforms closed until queues clear. It

> can take at least 10 mins from getting off the

> train to getting on to the victoria line train

> north bound.:(

benmorg Wrote:

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've done the journey via Victoria countless

> times

> > and have never, ever made it in 15-20 mins!

>

> Really?? DH to Victoria is 9 mins and Green Park

> is only one stop away on the Victoria Line. I can

> understand it taking longer to get to Bond Street

> Station, but Bond St itself was a quick hop via

> the train.

Yes but it's a manically busy interchange, so the journeyntime is hugely variable and often very busy and Green Park station isn't really that central (I.e. not close to anywhere you'd want to go except the parks.)

I suppose my point is that it was a stress-free journey. I've been shopping in town at Christmas since about 1995 and I've never had such an unhassled journey (especially coming home.)

edcam Wrote:

> benmorg Wrote:

> -----

> > edcam Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > I've done the journey via Victoria countless

> > times

> > > and have never, ever made it in 15-20 mins!

> >

> > Really?? DH to Victoria is 9 mins and Green

> Park

> > is only one stop away on the Victoria Line. I

> can

> > understand it taking longer to get to Bond

> Street

> > Station, but Bond St itself was a quick hop via

> > the train.

>

> Yes but it's a manically busy interchange, so the

> journeyntime is hugely variable and often very

> busy and Green Park station isn't really that

> central (I.e. not close to anywhere you'd want to

> go except the parks.)

>

> I suppose my point is that it was a stress-free

> journey. I've been shopping in town at Christmas

> since about 1995 and I've never had such an

> unhassled journey (especially coming home.)

Interesting. I will give the same route a try at the weekend.

StraferJack Wrote:

> more like 10-12 minutes but is that so bad? And

> you're basically walking up Bond St so yeah I'd

> say you were "central"

You're rather missing the point here. I'm sorry if you don't see an easier (specific)journey as a positive but not much I can do about that!

your point was " Green Park station isn't really that central (I.e. not close to anywhere you'd want to go except the parks.) " and my point is that that's not really true

Other people may have their issues with the route you took, but I'm not one of them - I was just picking up on that specific point

Please excuse my silly question - I avoid the tube due to dreadful claustrophobia & I would like to use the ELL but am concerned about the bit where it must go under the Thames. Can anyone tell me if it's remotely like being on the tube?

I would like to try it out tomorrow as an alternative route to work, but it's not a good look to turn up pale and shaking.....