East London Line

edcam

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Changing at Canada Water between 8 and 9 is a

> nightmare - there's a bottleneck at the

> escalator.

There's also the escalators at the top of the platform which go up to the ticket hall which then lead to the main escalator straight to the Jubilee platforms at Canada Water. Can be much faster than waiting for the single one down from the northbound ELL platform during the morning peak.

Perhaps a rather stupid question - if it is apologies in advance. Received an email that says the Southern services between Victoria and London Bridge via Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill will be withdrawn (from this weekend). I travel from Peckham Rye to London Bridge most days - does that mean I must take this new train?

I got the train from Peckham Rye at 8.29 this morning and changed at Canada Water to get to Canary Wharf. Changing trains was very fast and I got on the first Jubilee line train that arrived at about 8.40ish. It was much faster and easier than changing at London Bridge. I appreciate there will be days when it is busier but then its just a matter of getting on/off at the right carriage and walking along the platform to a part of the train that isn't as busy.

gigglesworthy Wrote:

> Perhaps a rather stupid question - if it is

> apologies in advance. Received an email that says

> the Southern services between Victoria and London

> Bridge via Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill will be

> withdrawn (from this weekend). I travel from

> Peckham Rye to London Bridge most days - does that

> mean I must take this new train?

No, there are still LB trains from PR.

Changing from ELL to Jubilee line at CW there is a bottle neck escalator. I wait til most people have gone down. It is still quicker and less stressful than being held in at the 'Jubilee Gateline' (aka ticket hall) at London Bridge. The train from PR to CW was half empty this morning. The same was true when it started from Forest Hill 2 years or so back, but as word gets out it gets busier. Worth the extra walking time to get to PR in order to avoid London Bridge for me.

I tried going from Bond Street to Peckham Rye on the way home (I finish that job at lunchtime) to test it out - it still took an hour, as I had to wait nearly 15 minutes for the Overground at Canada Water. (Other routes have been varied - down to Brixton on the Victoria line and the 37, tube to either LB or Victoria and then the train, all take best part of an hour.) I figure that it might work as an alternative if I've just missed the train to Victoria (my favoured route, still, and the ones I've been catching haven't been withdrawn, luckily), or the trains aren't working on that route.

However, what happens if the Jubilee line is out of action? What are the alternatives from Canada Water? From Peckham Rye, if Victoria trains aren't working I can get to various other stations, and then get buses or tubes (or buses from Peckham if it's really bad). Are there any buses from Canada Water into the West End, or if the Jubilee line is out, am I stuck until it comes back up again? Even on the way home, if I get stuck at an interchange, I can get the bus from Victoria or LB - and if the worst comes to the worst, I could just about walk from LB.

There just seems to be something counter-intuitive to go east when going to the West End!

Twirly,

I'm not sure I understood your post, but if the Jubilee line is down you can use the H&C or District to/from Whitechapel or there's also the DLR at Shadwell - although you have to cross a road in Shadwell. I take your point about going East to go West though! For a long time, I have been heading up the hill to HOP to use the ELL instead of joining everyone else going down the road to PR on the bus in the morning - I live near Peckham Rye Park. I found it a bit strange going away from town on foot, but it was so worth it for the 19min journey to Whitechapel.

Ratty,

I work at QMUL, just down the road from the London and have been using the ELL from HOP or sometimes Brockley since 2010 - it is brilliant. The trains are much busier now, but the journey is short and lots of people get out at CW. I'm pleased that I now have 4 extra trains an hour I can use to PR as well.

The 1707 from Canada Water to Clapham Junction was quiet this evening.

Twirly Wrote:

>

> However, what happens if the Jubilee line is out

> of action? What are the alternatives from Canada

> Water? From Peckham Rye, if Victoria trains aren't

> working I can get to various other stations, and

> then get buses or tubes (or buses from Peckham if

> it's really bad). Are there any buses from Canada

> Water into the West End, or if the Jubilee line is

> out, am I stuck until it comes back up again? Even

> on the way home, if I get stuck at an interchange,

> I can get the bus from Victoria or LB - and if the

> worst comes to the worst, I could just about walk

> from LB.

Stay on the ELL to Shadwell and change for the DLR.

Used it today to get to work in hackney and it was a joy. The change at London bridge and ensuing wait at freezing bus stops with building work permanently going on was horrible. Now I have one warm train ride and currently there's no standing, crammed carriages ...yet!

The journey itself was only slightly shorter but the stress levels massively reduced by knocking London bridge out of the equation. Also, I would take the 9:21 out of ED to LB and it was so rarely on time with no alternatives to jump on. At least at DH there are plenty of options for when the ELL wheels fall off!

Sorry to those who have lost the links to Victoria but this is a god send for my commute.

I am sadly one of those who have lost the Victoria connection. Going to work in the morning seems to be ok, as I can still get on the Kent trains, but the evening is a different story. Having done a bit of research it seems that once the last Kent train goes from Victoria through Denmark Hill at 19.39 I just can't get back that way. My alternative seems to be Olympia to CJ and then the ELL to DH (work in West Kensington), which I reckon is going to add a good 30 mins to my journey in the evening. Anybody got any thoughts?

Hilbs Wrote:

> I am sadly one of those who have lost the Victoria

> connection. Going to work in the morning seems to

> be ok, as I can still get on the Kent trains, but

> the evening is a different story. Having done a

> bit of research it seems that once the last Kent

> train goes from Victoria through Denmark Hill at

> 19.39 I just can't get back that way. My

> alternative seems to be Olympia to CJ and then the

> ELL to DH (work in West Kensington), which I

> reckon is going to add a good 30 mins to my

> journey in the evening. Anybody got any thoughts?

If you decide to use the Olympia train to Clapham Junction, it's a simple interchange by walking along the same platform to the other end to Platform 2 where the new trains return home.

TfL's journey planner shows a 32/34 minute journey from Olympia if you get the 1955 to Clapham Junction which arrives at 2008. The next train leaves at 2014 arriving at Denmark Hill at 2027 and Peckham Rye at 2029.

East Dulwich to Canary Wharf 25 minutes by scooter door-to-door. Then a 2 minute walk to my desk from the underground car park. Class.

I can't wait for this of days I don't take the scooter though. A brilliant addition to the network.

Being able to get into Kensington Olympia is great too. What's the change like at Clapham Junction?

Was excited when I read this news over the weekend. I thought it was coming later next year. Lets hope fewer replacement busses over weekends now!!

I'm in a similar position to Hilbs. Work in Victoria and live in Peckham Rye. Am really going to miss the later trains for a quick journey home in the evening (also cheaper only having 1 train rather than 2 as assume you have to tap in and out if route through CJ or Blackfriars). Also had to go to Victoria via Blackfriars this morning to make an early meeting which was crazy! Really pleased with the other areas being quicker though. Maybe a new job in the east is in order for 2013?!

AcedOut Wrote:

> Lets hope fewer replacement busses over weekends now!!

Rail closures have been a frequent weekend fixture over the last 10 years or so. Unfortunately I can't see that changing now, especially with all the work at London Bridge.

Try taking the tube to Blackfriars. Its about an extra 8 minutes further along than getting off at Victoria. Then from there you can take a train to Demark Hill that takes 10 minutes. Overall your journey (if you time it right) shouldn't be materially longer.

Good luck!

LM

Hilbs Wrote:

I noticed the Croydon & Crystal Palace overground trains started off as pretty quiet when first implemented but seemed to take travel from the DLR and other transport - now those overground trains are often packed.

Wonder if the Clapham Junction link will be similar.

JohnL Wrote:

> I noticed the Croydon & Crystal Palace overground

> trains started off as pretty quiet when first

> implemented but seemed to take travel from the DLR

> and other transport - now those overground trains

> are often packed.

>

> Wonder if the Clapham Junction link will be

> similar.

I'd expect so, we're in a period where passengers are testing out various routes and figuring out the best way home. We should see how popular the service is after Christmas as there's only two weeks of normal work left until the festive season.

Hilbs Wrote:

Honestly, you could avoid Victoria completely in your commute to West Kensington by just taking the Overground and changing at CJ for a train to Olympia (vice versa on the return leg). How far are you from Olympia anyway? Walking distance? West Kensington is not far from West Brompton either....

http://goo.gl/maps/ANfbA

Travelled on this today from Denmark Hill to Clapham Jctn - weirdly enjoyable in the open-plan train - like travelling in one huge hallway, very few seats (and those small, hard, sparsely covered and all facing in like an XL tube carriage) but room for 2 or 3 abreast standing if when it comes to that.