East London Line

edcam

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Question is, when the Southern franchise comes up

> for renewal, will Overground bid and so

> potentially extend the Underground network at

> (relatively) small cost?

Currently TfL are interested in two franchises, Southeastern's metro network to Dartford, Sevenoaks and Hayes and Greater Anglia. If they take over those and can prove them to be successful in the future, the DfT may allow the Mayor to run the other franchises within Greater London. The Transport secretary appeared to give his approval to Boris taking over SE and GA when he was interviewed on the BBC and ITV local news last week.

If TfL gain Southeastern's metro services, expect it to be rebranded as London Overground and the Victoria to Dartford line to be operational all day and Sundays.

eastdulwichhenry Wrote:

> @the-e-dealer - are you sure? According to the

> season ticket calculator website

> http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/seasonticket

> /tickets you can still buy a weekly ticket from

> Denmark Hill to Wandsworth Road for ?10.30, even

> though Wandsworth Road is now an Overground only

> station.

Until January 2nd that is. As mentioned on this forum before, London Overground are scrapping point to point seasons between Clapham Junction and Queens Road Peckham (with the exception of Denmark Hill to Peckham Rye), although you will be able to still buy seasons to Victoria, London Bridge, Charing Cross etc or if you require a season, you'll have to ask to have it start from South Bermondsey to one of the stations on the line.

bloonoo Wrote:

> Can anyone help as I am a bit confused - I went from Southgate (zone 4 tube) to Peckham Rye (zone 2) and it cost me ?2.00 on oyster.

>

> It usually costs me ?1.50 as I Have a zone 1-2 travel card, and ?1.50 is the price from zone 2-4.

>

> According to my oyster staeement it cost me 50p more because I went outside of the alloctated zone

> on my travel card, but it has always cost me ?1.50 and I swipe in/out everywhere I go.

>

> I have since tested the journey from ED (swiping in at ED) and it cost me ?1.50 again - so why did

> it cost 50p extra coming out at Peckham Rye, when it's closer to London and the same zone as ED?

According to the http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/mixing-travelcard-and-payg/ site mentioned by BB, afaics the ?2 extra (for Zones 3-4) would be normal for a single peak journey, as it was overall a "mixed NR/TfL journey" (see Mike's "Things to watch out for" section). Is it possible that you are charged just ?1.50 only when you break your journey long enough for it to be counted as two separate journeys (ie overall taking more than 110 minutes (see Mike's Maximum Journey Times page))? In that case ?1.50 would be the peak charge for TfL zones 3-4.

• 2 weeks later...

You can if you are clever about it. TfL have willfully seen that point to point season tickets with validity via the East London Line have been removed from the system. For example, New Cross Gate to Canonbury routed Not Underground had a point to point season ticket available until September 2012. London Overground saw that the season ticket was removed from sale, effective from September 2012. Not Underground tickets are generally available between stations in South London and North London, intended for use via City Thameslink and West Hampstead.

TfL don't like point to point season tickets, so you'll have to be creative. You can use National Rail Enquires to find a journey between two stations that is a.) valid via the ELL and b.) has a point to point season available. Or else, pay double for a season ticket, or use Oyster PAYG.

Al&Em Wrote:

> Anyone know if you can get a point to point annual

> ticket on the Overground , eg Peckham Rye to

> Shoreditch High st without having to make it a

> travelcard?

eastdulwichhenry Wrote:

> @the-e-dealer - are you sure? According to the

> season ticket calculator website

> http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/seasonticket

> /tickets you can still buy a weekly ticket from

> Denmark Hill to Wandsworth Road for ?10.30, even

> though Wandsworth Road is now an Overground only

> station.

This will not be the case after tomorrow. Point to point season tickets between stations on the Queens Road Peckham to Clapham Junction/Kensington Olympia line of route will be removed from sale come the 2nd January 2013. The only exception being if you buy a season ticket between any two of Queens Road Peckham, Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill.

I was in the process of campaigning for the reversal of this decision, but after finding that virtually nobody seemed to care, I decided it wasn't worth it. If anybody really wishes to get around it, they can buy a ticket from South Bermondsey (instead of their home station) to their destination.

Also, point to point season tickets are valid on the London Overground, so long as one is travelling on a permitted route. Any suggestions otherwise are incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...