East London Line

edcam

Thank you Katrusja and Bic Basher. DLR is no good to me - I need to get to Mayfair. I normally go to either Green Park or Bond Street. I suspect that if the Jubilee line is down, I'll be stuffed basically, lots of changes and a circuitous route. But I might use the line from time to time, but can't see it being an obvious route for me.

Having said that, I'm going to a Christmas do in Wimbledon in Friday, and I may well be using it to get back from that by changing at Clapham Junction.

Wow ? as with some others above, my usual evening commute was from Victoria to Peckham... one stop on the way, easy.

Tonight was a cold, sharp, shock! Had not twigged that east london line = no direct route home. Journey now has an extra leg, a walk the length of Clapham Junction station and a 15 min wait for a second train which went slowly via more stations.

Compounded by lack of obvious info at Victoria, a search for staff with info. Poor.

I'm sure there are benefits somewhere in this, but right now... Frustrated and disappointed.

I absolutely can do this, and this is the likelihood tbh, but by my calculations it will add a good 20 mins to my journey. The old school way, I reckon I could do it in 40-45 mins door to door if everything timed right. Now I am a good 10-12 min walk from Olympia, 10 mins to CJ, change, wait, 20-25 mins CJ to DH then a walk at this end... I'm sure I'll work it out, just a case of trial and error. Like Stephen, maybe a good reason not to work past 7 when I can possibly help it!

headphonauts Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I'm sure there are benefits somewhere in this, but

> right now... Frustrated and disappointed.

Obvious benefits to users of crowded Victoria station, which is less crowded now that fewer services go there. Not so good for people forced to take the circuitous diversion.

I've now used this a few times to go to and from work at The O2. Generally pretty pleased (though it was down when I wanted to get home after finishing work early today, so had to go the old route via LB...a good second day for the service then...) - hop on at ED then change at one of the Peckhams to Canada Water and then across to North Gren. On way back the same, or go to Denmark Hill and get a short bus back home. 2 changes instead of the previous one at London Bridge, but what a change that used to be, especially when it's busy - yuck. I will miss picking up the Standard at LB on the way through though - as far as I'm aware this doesn't appear at any stage on my new journey.

I will also miss the service from LB to DH when I'm in town rather than at work, as I did sometimes use that then get a bus from DH instead of waiting for the next ED service at LB.

Though I'm sure it will generally be good for the surrounding area - am I the only one worried about its making the area more desirable and pushing up rents and house prices further?

Do we think there's any possibility of trains going straight through Clapham Junction onto Kensington Olympia in the future? Seems a little silly to stop the trains there rather than continuing through.

Also, is Clapham Junction to Denmark Hill really 20-25 mins? It's only three stops, and something like 4 miles.

If you travel from Victoria to Peckham Rye via Clapham Junction you don't need to touch in or out at Clapham Junction - in fact don't do it as your likely to end up with an 'incomplete journey'and be charged a maximum fare. Blackfriars is gated anyway.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I'm sure the changeover is straightforward, but I

> am questioning why there is a changeover at all,

> for what is supposed to be an orbital London line.

I doubt it would be a good idea as one problem or delay would affect such a huge route.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I'm sure the changeover is straightforward, but I

> am questioning why there is a changeover at all,

> for what is supposed to be an orbital London line.

It's to do with the electrical current the services use, the ELL uses the third rail system (DC) and the trains that run on the West London Line and North London Line use a mix of third rail and overhead power lines (AC). Our trains don't have the pantographs which those trains that run north of Clapham Junction do.

Some of them do - I saw one the other day - but not all.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'm sure the changeover is straightforward, but

> I

> > am questioning why there is a changeover at

> all,

> > for what is supposed to be an orbital London

> line.

>

> It's to do with the electrical current the

> services use, the ELL uses the third rail system

> (DC) and the trains that run on the West London

> Line and North London Line use a mix of third rail

> and overhead power lines (AC). Our trains don't

> have the pantographs which those trains that run

> north of Clapham Junction do.

Lowlander Wrote:

> Some of them do - I saw one the other day - but

> not all.

>

Yes, there called 378/2. Dual units which can be used on all lines. However most are 378/1, the DC only units which can only be used on the ELL.

Third rail operation is used as far as Shepherd's Bush then changes to overhead rail.

There are other reasons too, look at the Circle line, for the last couple of years, it no longer operates in a constant circle, the trains start from Edgware Road do a circuit, then go down to Hammersmith (via the City line) which has improved the service.

Segregating the lines enables the train operator to keep delays to a minimum, so if the ELL goes down, it won't affect the other line on the orbital or vice versa.

Since I?d missed my usual Victoria service this morning, I thought I?d try going via Canada Water to Bond Street, just to test it out. Luckily I can check the status of the Jubilee line, and it seemed to be running OK when I was at Peckham Rye, so risked it.

The Overground train arrived more or less on time, but picked up a 6-7 minute delay in its journey to Canada Water. The train was fairly full, but not totally crammed (though not far off it). Completely agree about the interchange there ? why on earth did they just install just one up and one down escalator? Took ages to get down to the Jubilee line, thus compounding the slight delay. The Jubilee line was, of course, totally rammed. And since I?d had to go further east to get it, I was on it for longer than if I?d taken the train to London Bridge. I got to Bond Street just after 9 ? would have been dead on time if the train had run on time.

One thing that I did notice, as I watched the 8.24 to London Bridge depart was that whilst the front couple of carriages were completely rammed, the ones further down the train were quite civilised, possibly even seats available. If anyone does have to travel to LB (as I used to) and misses the SLL which was usually quite empty at Peckham Rye (I normally got a seat on the 8.26) though not by the time it got to South Bermondsey (hate to think what the LB trains are like by the time they get to there now ? can anyone actually get on them?!), just move down the platform. Despite the long interchange at LB at the moment (particularly since the platforms are crowded with scaffolding), I think it would actually be better for me to go that way during rush hour if I have to ? less time on the Jubilee line.

Whilst it might not be great for me, I can see how this new line does open up lots of additional travel opportunities for people, and if I ever have to travel to north or SW London, it could be useful. It?s just a shame to have lost what was also a very useful service.

Twirly Wrote:

> The Overground train arrived more or less on time,

> but picked up a 6-7 minute delay in its journey to

> Canada Water. The train was fairly full, but not

> totally crammed (though not far off it).

> Completely agree about the interchange there ? why

> on earth did they just install just one up and one

> down escalator?

Canada Water's ELL platforms were designed for the then short tube line, which would have only carried passengers from New Cross/NXG coming in on the northbound platform. There appears to be no future thinking with the design of the ELL platforms that when the ELL gets it's 5th carriage in 2015, the platforms will remain short.

There is another set of escalators at the top of the platform which go up to the ticket hall, but then have access back down to the rear of the Jubilee platforms which can work out faster than waiting with the masses for the single escalator.

> if I ever have to travel to north or SW London, it could be useful.

If you're going via Wimbledon, the new timetable gives a quicker, 23 minute journey either way via Tulse Hill, thanks to less waiting time there, if you get the 23/53 trains. Quicker than going via CLJ.

LondonMix Wrote:

> Thanks for reiterating this. I wonder if its

> worthwhile though as no one seems to read it...

It doesn't help the for reasons only known to London Underground who manage Canada Water not to publicise the alternative route to the Jubilee!

I tried the ELL home from Shoreditch yesterday changing at Peckham Rye and it was a bit more comfortable a journey than the usual squueze fest between london and east dulwich, although 4 trains an hour only means a bit more waiting time than on national rail.

I was a bit surprised that the payg fare is ?3.70 for a one way ride...compared to ?2.30 from london bridge so sadly this poses a wee problem for pay as you goers as its not a 60% better commute to justify the 60% increase in single fare.

What really ticks me off though is that it costs only ?2.70 from Peckham Rye and therefore costs ?1 to travel from peckham rye to east dulwich.....how is this fair?

We went from Denmark Hill to Clapham Junction, and then changed for a train to Imperial Wharf. This meant that we travelled very quickly to a station that is near the other end of the Kings Road. A big bonus in not having to change at Victoria for the District/Circle to Sloane Square.

My wife regularly has to travel to Kingston/Surbiton en route for her parents. Up to now she had to struggle on the erratic and crowded 37 bus from ED to Clapham Junction and vice versa; now she will be able to go from CJ to DH and then back home on one of three frequent bus services.