Good outside drinking spots?

I moved to East Dulwich (Barry Road) in December and now that some good weather is upon us, can anyone recommend any nice pubs/bars with good outside drinking areas? I used to love going out in Richmond/Kingston during the day when I lived over there and am really missing that. I do like places like the EDT, but don't really want to be sat out on Lordship Lane breathing in bus fumes with every mouthful. And I have a friend coming to stay this weekend so would like to go somewhere nice. Any ideas? Thank you!

TillieTrotter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Rye Hotel has lovely garden. Also if you walk

> to the Village (not ED I know) the Dog is a

> lovely, lively place to while away a few

> hours.:)-D

Is the Dog the one that's actually called the Crown and Greyhound or something? Thanks for ideas everyone - maybe I'll try and take them all in!

The back of the Mag is nice, but small. The Dog in the village has quite a large garden, but haven't been for a bit, so no idea what state it's in. CPT (bless) has a bit out front, which is usually quite nice, and there's not toooooo much traffic on that junction......

Plough has a garden, but I assume you're not completely desperate....

Herne is the place if you have kids!

Good luck :)-D

Keef Wrote:

> The back of the Mag is nice, but small. The Dog in

> the village has quite a large garden, but haven't

> been for a bit, so no idea what state it's in. CPT

> (bless) has a bit out front, which is usually

> quite nice, and there's not toooooo much traffic

> on that junction......

>

> Plough has a garden, but I assume you're not

> completely desperate....

>

> Herne is the place if you have kids!

>

> Good luck :)-D

No, definitely not desperate enough to go to the Plough (from what I can tell from the outside!) and I don't have kids - they bring me out in a rash :))

You could always take a scenic walk to the Dulwich Wood House - up Lordship Lane, along the trackbed of the old Crystal Palace branch line (and past the bridge from which Pisarro painted Lordship Lane Station) then on to Sydenham Hill.

It's a lively Young's boozer with a cracking garden - and often a barbecue outside on Saturdays and Sundays.

and there's the Gowlett, it has a small garden out the back and fine ales to boot

I shall look out for you staggering around this weekend having tried all these pubs out. And do report back to the Forum with you memories of these places if you have any.

Mark Wrote:

> and there's the Gowlett, it has a small garden out

> the back and fine ales to boot

>

> I shall look out for you staggering around this

> weekend having tried all these pubs out. And do

> report back to the Forum with you memories of

> these places if you have any.

I definitely will! Although the sign of a good night really is the loss of memory!

The Fox isn't too bad as Weathspoons go. It more of a pub feel than the horrid big open ones like the Forest Hill one. Besides, Weathspoons have their place, they do cheap grub which I don't think is too bad, and very cheap drink which can only ever be a good thing! :)-D

The Grove near ED station has a nice garden.

Despite its slightly dodgy reputation, I've always had a nice time there, staff have been pleasant and you can usually get a seat in the garden unlike many of the other pubs about.

Was there at Easter with my kids and one of the barstaff gave us a large Easter Egg/Cuddly toy combo, which was certainly a nice gesture and I enjoyed the egg at least.

Another good call, it does have a nice garden, and during the day it's not bad... Just don't go there at the weekends, when the owner does his Kray impression on the door with his bouncer friends! B)

Tom Wrote:

> The Herne - if you don't mind kids (lots of them -

> and not very well behaved).

I'm generally allergic to children, particularly naughty ones.