We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

Glazer Delmar

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
messageRe: Royal Mail delivery
Posted by DulwichFox June 07, 10:29PM

Lynne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The post got far far worse after the closure of
> Sylvester Rd. I didn't have many problems before
> then

Real shame Sylvester Rd. had to go.. sad smiley
Was a great Local Service.

Nothing Ever changes for the better. Wrong people in charge making changes.
Jobs for the Boys.

Foxy

Posted by Penguin68 June 08, 09:01AM

I just get one delivery of 'normal' post a week, now (on Thursday, if you're asking) when a huge batch drops through the letterbox, or, if it's too much, has to be handed in. Royal Mail parcels (not ParcelForce) arrive normally however. I see posties in one street or another most days. I think back-logs have meant that there is now too much post waiting for a postman to carry for a full round, so it gets left over for 'the next day' and so on. So postmen are now doing a particular walk once a week, rather than every day. Hopefully as more come back on again deliveries may return to normal. But it ain't the service people are paying for when they buy their stamps (particularly first class ones!).

Posted by Sue June 08, 10:44AM

DulwichFox Wrote:
> Lynne Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The post got far far worse after the closure of
> > Sylvester Rd. I didn't have many problems
> before
> > then
>
>
> Real shame Sylvester Rd. had to go.. sad smiley
> Was a great Local Service.
>
> Nothing Ever changes for the better. Wrong people
> in charge making changes.
> Jobs for the Boys.
>

I agree the delivery service is far worse since the office at Sylvester Road closed, but in common with many other businesses I imagine the present problems are mainly due to the virus (staff shortages plus probably different working practices).

Plus possibly poor management at the Peckham office (going on issues mentioned on other threads).

But what do you mean by "jobs for the boys"? I doubt Royal Mail's selection processes have suddenly changed to be unfair.

Posted by gumshoe June 08, 01:12PM

I agree that postal services in the area have been significantly affected as of late, but given the larger picture of Royal Mail struggling to (a) implement safe working practices for postal workers; (b) dealing with an unprecedented volume of mail, especially parcels - Christmas on steroids; and (c) dealing with sickness and absences brought about by COVID, especially within our borough where the virus has had a significant impact, I am not surprised of the knock-on effects.

Although the decision to close the Sylvester Road was a poor one for the local community, I doubt that the current situation would be much better if it had remained open, given the size of that office would make it difficult for workers' safety (saying that, the Peckham site, although larger, is probably not much better given the volume of mail right now).

Posted by lindylou June 08, 04:28PM

I just don't get this. My parents live on Denmark Hill and throughout the pandemic they have had regular post. Their sorting office is in Camberwell. It covers a wide area. Why is this problem only happening at the Peckham sorting office?

Posted by Roky Erickson June 08, 04:33PM

Totally agreed. A friend in North London sent a parcel to me and to a friend in West Norwood last Wednesday (First Class). The parcel was delivered to my friend in Norwood the next day, yet mine is still to arrive nearly a week later.

I'm obviously very aware of all of the atmospheric reasons why Royal Mail might struggle at the moment, but my point is that it seems to be affecting this area far more so than anywhere else.

lindylou Wrote:
> I just don't get this. My parents live on Denmark
> Hill and throughout the pandemic they have had
> regular post. Their sorting office is in
> Camberwell. It covers a wide area. Why is this
> problem only happening at the Peckham sorting
> office?

Posted by lindylou June 08, 04:48PM

Roku it really needs sorting out asap.

Posted by lindylou June 08, 04:49PM

"Roky", sorry.

Posted by Bic Basher June 08, 09:53PM

I finally got my parcel today. A week to travel from NW10 to SE22 despite being posted first class.

Posted by katanita June 08, 10:08PM

Still waiting for a couple items from late March. Given up hope. I assume they are at the bottom of the backlog pile.

Posted by Roky Erickson June 16, 12:17PM

Anyone else finding that the post in East Dulwich continues to get worse ?

I haven't had a delivery since Thursday, and still waiting for something which was posted in Manchester on the 2nd June

Posted by DulwichFox June 16, 12:51PM

You can Track your Item Here:- [www3.royalmail.com]

DulwichFox

Posted by Adidas_guy June 16, 03:44PM

I received more mail today than I have had since the beginning of the year. Some was dated 3 weeks ago. I guess there was a backlog somewhere.

Posted by Sue June 17, 09:13AM

DulwichFox Wrote:
> You can Track your Item Here:-
> [www3.royalmail.com]
>
> DulwichFox

Only if it was posted via a tracked service, not if just put in a post box 🙂

Posted by Bic Basher June 17, 09:25AM

8 days for a letter posted in Sydenham arrived yesterday. Yet a magazine posted from Peterborough took 4 days.

Posted by AD June 17, 10:26AM

I'm getting still getting older stuff delivered in reverse, last week had mid may post, still awaiting a few items that were due to arrive early May but Mid may post arrived last week, very recent stuff now whilst a taking a week to get here is roughly on track.

Posted by Bic Basher June 19, 12:26AM

I'm starting to get post that was posted this week. Private Eye arrived on Thursday (normally Wednesday under normal circumstances).

Still waiting for a pack of masks which were posted last week.

Posted by Boddle June 19, 08:10AM

Please write to Helen Hays if you're having trouble with the post. She's been asking for examples recently.

Posted by Siduhe June 19, 09:06AM

Some encouraging signs for me too - still getting irregular deliveries of post, but two important letters sent from the US turned up this week. One was posted on 13 May, one on 6 June and they arrived within two days of each other (the June letter came first) so it does suggest they are getting to the bottom of the backlog.

Posted by jamiev June 19, 11:12AM

We were receiving post regularly up to 2 weeks ago and since then nothing.
We have been waiting three weeks for first class post.

Posted by Bic Basher June 23, 06:05PM

Masks I ordered took two weeks to get from Southall to SE22, this despite being sent on 48 hour delivery. Another letter was posted on June 18th from New Cross.

It appears some letters are getting priority, such as magazines which are slightly faster than standard mail or packages.

Posted by intexasatthe moment June 23, 09:34PM

Second class letter posted 2 June ,not arrived .

Posted by dimples June 24, 12:27AM

I too am missing a parcel sent mid March ?!!

Posted by singalto June 24, 08:25AM

I havenít had post for 10 days and am missing two parcels..

Posted by JohnL June 25, 09:58AM

2000 "middle management" job cuts announced today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 25, 09:59am by JohnL.

Posted by JB June 30, 03:06PM

In our household we are still in lock down. Remember over 50% of people with COVID19 are asymptomatic.And judging by a recent shopping trip people are not very careful with others.

Spare a thought for postal workers who have been delivering huge amounts of post for 12 weeks - and some really none essential stuff. They are classified as essential workers.

No pay increase or additional staff. So basically risking their lives to get post out. Still all going into sorting office at same time in morning with little room for SD. And no extra staff even to clean.

Some sorting offices closed for several days due to incidence of COVID. So bear with them. Our postie says its been like Xmas size volumes of post twice over for 3 months now.

Not many jobs where whatever the weather you have to walk for over 3 hours no break.

Posted by Lynne June 30, 05:30PM

I have every sympathy with postal workers during the Covid epidemic. But as most people in ED will tell you (and read the threads here) the service was dreadful long before the lockdown.
Of course we will make allowances now, but what went wrong before? And did the postman who left my bank statement out on the porch, and give me mail for the wrong address and give next door my post do this because of Covid? I suspect not.

Posted by seenbeen June 30, 08:52PM

Lynne Wrote:
> I have every sympathy with postal workers during
> the Covid epidemic. But as most people in ED will
> tell you (and read the threads here) the service
> was dreadful long before the lockdown.
> Of course we will make allowances now, but what
> went wrong before? And did the postman who left my
> bank statement out on the porch, and give me mail
> for the wrong address and give next door my post
> do this because of Covid? I suspect not.

That happens- they lean over the fence and drop the post on the doorstep. You should complain or they will carry on. They know who the postie is for your address. Putting your security at risk is unacceptable.

Posted by Reg Smeeton July 01, 10:33AM

I subscribe to a weekly magazine. The June 13th issue hasn't arrived yet (unsurprisingly nor has 27th June). This isn't just affecting customers, the publishing companies must be getting flak from readers complainting about late delivery, and there will be cancelled subscriptions.

Posted by Bic Basher July 01, 04:26PM

Private Eye arrived on time today. I've had post three days in a row so far.

Talking about magazine subs, Private Eye is now offering a £9.99 tier for 6 issues since the lockdown, while my PC mags are offering us free access to the digital version to ensure readers have an opportunity to read them on time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 01, 04:28pm by Bic Basher.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum