Famous faces

:))I keep seeing famous faces around E.D. - bumped into Richard Shelton who plays the evil Dr Adam Forsythe from Emmerdale in North Cross Road yesterday who mentioned Lorraine Chase also lives in Camberwell! Anyway, it apparently, he does a wicked Sinatra too. Anyone else seen anyone else around these parts?

I've bumped into Terry Jones in Nicholas, saw Timothy Spall in The Palmerston, managed to catch a cheeky glimpse of the Cheeky Girls in Dulwich Park (they were wearing hot pants and riding tandem I hasten to add!) and I have definately seen Robson Jerome in Safeway (or was it Jerome Robson - always get those two mixed up!)

DD

I think the only one I'd know out of these is Timothy Spall. Maybe recognise Cheekys if they were in their gold hotpants.

Just think - all these famous people passing me everyday possibly and I'm in blissful ignorance.

I regret that it has now been a while since I saw James Nesbitt - reason being I would like the opportunity to tell him how absolutely c**p he was in that recent Dr Jekyll nonsense! Forget all this stuff about him being an a***hole - in my view he is an utterly hopeless actor. I have never seen him give a performance that has been anything more than wooden, cliched and, frankly, slightly embarrassing. He is like the big-headed bloke who was always in the school play who over-acted for England and actually thought he was a great thespian.

I would love to go to the butchers, buy a great big ham and hang it around James's neck, saying "Here is your soulmate!"

Actually, he _was_ pretty good in Bloody Sunday.

I think on the whole he just chooses a lot of rubbish roles.

But like any actor you know the work can dry up (when did pfeiffer last do anything for instance?), so why not cash in on an awful lot of lazy cr*p to at least guarantee your kids will eat, get educated etc.

But a decent actor can at least give a credible performance even if the role is rubbish. I just don't think he does. Havent seen Bloody Sunday but everything else I have seen him in made me cringe. I was always constantly aware that he was an actor carrying out a performance and doing it rather badly in my view. Oh well!

Actually, it was more Domitianus I was referring to, which I have to say was a rather good rant - well done, and likewise well done to you for sticking up for Nesbitt. I actually don't mind the man - even though my missus also fancies him (more circa cold feet than yellow pages ads)

Never ceases to amaze me the fact that people think that because an actor "pretends to be" (critical point) various interesting and exciting people, they are actually, in reality, themselves interesting and exciting. I sympathise therefore Mockney with your wife's apparent inability to separate the man from the role. Reason I say this is that I have met a number of actors/actresses in real life and invariably they have been utterly dull and uninteresting, yet convinced that they deserved to be the centre of attention on the grounds that they are good at pretending otherwise.

The missus will fester in front of the odd braindead bit of telly and with me in front of the news and Question Time, but she's not really into actors or anything. In her case it's almost entirely the irish connection and the ulster accent.

I think she goes for the careworn look too; I for one look like I've been dragged through a bush backwards most of the time, which is probably what she likes in me.

There was a time when you couldn't turn the telly on without hearing a commercial voiceover voiced by a Scot, Irishman or Ulsterman.

The North East now gets a fair crack of the whip (thanks largely to Big Brother)

Other amusing regional stereotyping in adverts:

Cornwall (earthy wholesome fisherman types)

Liverpool (thrifty housewife with sense of humour)

Midlands (likeable with below-average intelligence)