has anyone sold through Foxtons

ARTY

I have yet to see one Foxtons board with a SOLD sign on it. But to be fair they picked a terrible time to start up in ED. End of the year, post Northern Rock and the market is dead, nobody wants to buy and nobody wants to sell either unless they absolutely have to.

There are four properties at my end of the street which have been on for 3 months or more and not sold (not just Foxtons properties).

I know people quietly reducing prices in order to sell and that to me says that prices are gently falling for houses and they are fairly stagnant for flats (kept up by the younger incomers).

If I was a first time buyer I'd be waiting until at least February to see what the market does. I think it will be dead until then. I'm no estate agent but my advice would be to take the property off the market and stick it back on in the spring with one of ED's more established agents.

That 0% offer with it's exclusivity clause doesnt seem quite so good in a dead market when having flexibility of selling options would seem most important.

I do sound like an estate agent dont I. I'll shut up then.

Did they pick a terrible time to start in ED?

Their books are filled with properties so that's them already 'established'.

The slow market means they won't sell as many of their 0% properties before the time limit expires and thereby lose-out on the commission.

Saw a SOLD sign for a Foxtons house on Landcroft the other day. So it does happen! But while going around the area doing deliveries, must have seen 50+ other Foxton signs as well that just had 'Sale' - I reckon about half of all houses with advertising boards are with Foxtons at the moment. Also, did a spot check on the roads around Frogley lunchtime today. There were TWENTY estate agent cars parked between Frogley and Northcross, of which 14 were Foxtons. As has been said elsewhere, it's within their rights to park there, but frankly 14 cars is just selfish selfish selfish, entirely in keeping with the Foxton image.

By the way, each of the cars has a number on it, would be fun to name and shame the cars that behave in a particularly antisocial fashion. Come in number 325, your time is up...

Hi

We've had our house on with them since they came in. We haven't had one person round to view our house and....when we've asked to go and look at houses they have been unable to get hold of the vendor or haven't got back to us. They know our criteria etc and we're ready to move - they are in no rush - why would they - nothing in it for them.

A word of warning to anyone who is with them - read the small print. You need to give four weeks written notice in order to break the contract - so Nov 21st.

Finally, check out the prices....for all the houses that I have looked at I've checked against the land registery to see what the last house on that street sold at...majority sold for ?100,000 less - gutting and worrying. Agree that anyone thinking of buying should wait until Feb - we've already dropped our price substantially and can see other sellers begining to do the same...well expect for that house on Muschamp rd - greedy guts - the last house sold on your street sold for ?140,000 less!!

I love East Dulwich but I'm begining to dislike it - it's not that brilliant that I want to pay over half a million for a run of the mill house!

Brilliant question.

The forum could do a great community service if someone drafted a template written notice of a break to the contract which forumites could print off, fill in the gaps and post to Foxtons on 20th November.

Imagine that. An organised mass cessation of trade on the 21st November. Could go down in history as the first place to drive out the Foxtons menace.

That would leave the perfect venue for a Vodka Revolution or similar type bar.

Anyone?

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Brilliant question.

>

> The forum could do a great community service if

> someone drafted a template written notice of a

> break to the contract which forumites could print

> off, fill in the gaps and post to Foxtons on 20th

> November.

>

> Imagine that. An organised mass cessation of trade

> on the 21st November. Could go down in history as

> the first place to drive out the Foxtons menace.

>

> That would leave the perfect venue for a Vodka

> Revolution or similar type bar.

>

> Anyone?

great idea but may I suggest posting the letter today, judging by the postal service round here a first class letter might just make it to foxtons by the 21st November.

Back on the cars and their numbers - so often I've gone passed and read their names - the 'Brixton Belle', Tulse Hill Treasure', and then obviously the guys that have been drafted in from other branches for launch, the 'Archway something or other' 'Isleworth Idiot' etc.

wouldn't it be amusing if our local Banksy to rename some of them with witty new slogans. (not suggesting that it was done in permanent ink or anything, just a post-it) Anyone think of something more apt beginning with 'B' for the Brixton one???

• Administrator
Stay on topic please - I am having a clampdown at the moment on "serious" threads that get taken off topic. Please remember that there are actually people who want to know if anyone has sold through Foxtons and do not want to know what you want to write on their cars. Please fee free to start a discussion about that in the more relaxed and informal Lounge area.

I assume lots of people have, like us, received the thoughtful brochure entitled "Welcome to your area" today. Who is it from? Our friends Foxtons of course. How kind of these arrogant impostors to welcome me to my own area. And how unfortunate that I feel unable to reciprocate.

The opening page of the Welcome glossy is headlined "Fantastic Sales for Dulwich". So you'd think this might mean that they have had, er, fantastic sales in Dulwich. But the evidence is the complete opposite - they are unable to quote a single sale in Dulwich in the waffle that follows (the nearest is Manor Mount Rd in Forest Hill).

I fear that the conspiracy theorists who reckon that Foxtons don't actually want to sell any houses until their free offer expires are probably right.

If you haven't read Alan Dale's suggestion earlier in this thread, then do so. And if you have a neighbour with a Foxtons board outside, make sure they know about the small print in their contract.

and again, to resurrect an old anti-Foxtons beef, 'Welcome to your area' contains the Time Out guide to ***South West*** London (OK, there's a nod to SE in the listings but the whole thing just adds to the sense of them being stormtroopers jackbooting into the area). pah!