Starbucks opposite ED station???

A copy of "London Property News" has just flumped through the door. Near the back there is an advert that says 'All Lines Lead to East Dulwich', advertising the new, not yet finished flats opposite the exit to ED station, next to William Hill. The ad includes an illustration of how the building will look when it is finished, and filling the empty shop on the corner is "Coffee Shop", white on green. The ad says in small print "indicates possible use for the commercial space in the development" - white on green, hmm, maybe they know something already.

It's one of those freebie glossy mags that gets stuck through the door ever so often, no idea how they decide who gets it, but like most of these rags its aim is to incite envy and greed. House on Wimbledon Common for ?3.5m, anyone?

One of the chaps who works in Sainsbury's told me that they were going to have a Sainsburys cafe instead of getting Starbucks back so perhaps it's not unfeasible that they want that early morning crowd on their way to the City.

No I'm not joking - so sorry DM. He was the union rep and had to go to all the meetings - we had a very good conversation about the extension by the million different kinds of muesli aisle. And my neighbour works in the wine department and said the same.

I feel like I've just kicked a puppy.

Personally I can't wait.

I am fed up with all the empty shops in ED, the high street looks like something out of a 30's documentary on the depression. Bring on Starbucks and anything else that will fill up these empty shops. If people don't like Starbucks or anyenything else, they don't have to go. ED has room for chain & local shops if only they used the vacant lots.

Please god dont wish for a bland same shop on every high street for ED. Please no otherwise we might as well live anywhere. ED howevermuch people talk about its change has at least avoided the dullness that is seen so many other places can we not remain an oaisis however much samaller than it used to be, there is already trouble in paradise but lets not speed its demise.

DM wouldnt even you want pottentially better coffee from and independant coffee shop. Anyone up for investment, Ill run it, have homemade cakes fresh pastries and sandwiches all locally sourced. Run an annex thet would supply people waiting to get into the butchers ect. How about a regular order service with a satalite stand next to train and bus stop so your warm beverage is just waiting for a pickup at the appropriate time. The possibilities are endless not some faceless chain but an individual service for the local community.

Not sure whats happened this monday thats the second time Ive got overly involved in the space of an hour.!

Why is it that people are happy to use the conglomoerates such as Sainsburys for their shopping and Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation for their banking needs, but complain about drinking coffee at a successful British chain such as Nero!?

If you don't like capitalism, then go and live in another country! Are you not all happy about the house price rises and high employment? We'll you have the economy to thank for that - mostly led by the city (aka the Capitalism machine).

Hypocrites the lot of ya ;)

Again, I agree... I have nothing at all against local businesses, and all power to them, but at the same time, I'd rather see a decent chain shop than an empty shop!

For the record though, I don't "do" coffee, so wouldn't be in a rush to get to Starbucks ;-)

Starbucks was a local business once also.

I think we all agree we don't want ED to turn into another clone town like Islington, but it's inevitable in the end. Capitalism is a fight of the fittest and the small fish will be shallowed up in time unless they too become as successful as the Starbucks of this day. Economy of scale will mean that only the biggest companies will be able to afford the increase in rent.

It's unfortunate, but ED will be the victim of it's own success. Enjoy the independence while it lasts!

I am just sick about Starbucks. I know there are various arguements against the big chains - and they seem to be very well founded, but I love nothing more than a Vente Latte and a big slice of blueberry cheese cake. I have even forgiven them for naming one of their sandwiches 'vintage cheddar'.

I just love that shop. I love the big soft chairs, I love the random Ikea toys for the kids, I love the fact that Freya likes the lollipops and Max likes the gingerbread men, and I love the fact that the children behave themselves in Sainsburys in order to be sure that they get their treat when I am finished the supermarket shopping. Hell there is even a good comic shop to hand.

I have such fond memories of sitting in that coffee shop in a state of complete physical and mental exhaustion, feeding my tiny baby, while my poor exhausted husband staggered around that supermarket. We were so lucky that the coffee shop was there then, instead of the Boots that was there before it, or no doubt some dreadful canteen style cafe with white plastic seats and oven chips that will come after.

I feel as though an era has ended. Sainsbury's is dead to me now. Long live Ocado.

All I need to hear now is that Take That have split up again, and that would finish me off completely. Is there to be no comfort left on this planet?

The problem with the empty shops is that the owner is wanting ever increasing rates pushing out the ability for independant owners to get in them. See thead about investors wanted. (please could you link this) I understand how capitalism works thank you. I also dont belive that the end result has to be a bland sameness around every corner. Thank god ED is not quite there yet.

I understand the passion for starbucks and that we did well with nero being the best of that chain bunch. It is too easy to pick on these establishments and I understand that it was a great location in sainsburys I too am sad that it should go, it was the perfect place for it. (Although had a similar shop run by a non chain group been there it could have offered the same comforts)

But the 'ever increasing rates' by the landlords is all part of the process I described. Only those companies employing economy of scale to the degree of Starbucks etc will be able to warrant paying those rates in order to remain profitable.

Only the local councils will be able to stop the bigger companies from moving in, but that would be illegal.