Starbucks opposite ED station???

Here you go Kathryn.

That thread was interesting, but it did make me chuckle that when it was pointed out that it would take a lot of committment, and there wouldn't be a profit in it, suddenly the interest stopped.... Perhaps people weren't being as community minded as they'd have liked us to believe ;-)

But could an independent guarantee the exact same deep velvet aubergine armchairs? The Vente Latte's in the big white mugs, and the delicious big slices of blueberry cheesecake?

I am not someone who would be prepared to hold a plackard on most occasions (I marched against the war in Iraq and also agains the Poll Tax) but where are all of the exhausted parents from Sainsburies with their tiny babies meant to sit now? That coffee shop was the only port in a storm for me when those babies of mine were small. It was the only thing that could entice me to the supermarket in the first place.

I can see it now - Sainsbury's replacement: flourescent strip lighting, white plastic seats, and enormous slabs of dried up lasagne.

It was so easy to park there to meet friends and a great enticement to the children to behave themselves while shopping in exchange for a treat.

DM, I wouldn't admit this to everyone (especially since I boycotted Starbucks - and all other US of A products - after Bush got re-elected) but I have to agree with you.

When Baby M was little (hell, she's still only 5 months now!) knowing that Starbucks was there at the end of a shop if we needed it made a huge difference to the feasability of going out to a supermarket in the first place. And I have to agree with you again too, that whatever monstrosity Sainsbury's replace it with won't be a patch on Starbucks. Not that I'm a big fan, as you know I prefer Nero, and hanker after a Monmouth Coffee in ED - though I would also like to see what the East Dulwich Deli people would do with a sit-down cafe as well...

Acedout - I think it's fair to say that most of us, even homeowners, are NOT pleased about the ridiculous rise in prices. It doesn't benefit anybody, unless you're a landlord, or you're going to take the money and run off abroad.

Kathryn - I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit, but I don't think you're onto a winner with your plan to supply coffee to the queue outside the butchers.

Dear Mr Fractionator,

Please do ask your sister, and please beg her for me to make them change their mind if they are thinking of closing our wonderful oasis. I feel like making a plackard and getting my au pair to wear it outside Sainsbury's, I really feel strongly about this. Not as strongly as I did when I personally marched against the invasion of Iraq - clearly, but similar...

(Please bear with me on this, I admit I am terribly superficial. Superficial, but passionate when the occasion calls for it)

it doesn't benefit home owners who plan to move into a bigger place... because the next rung up the ladder is getting further and further away. The only winners are property investors - the very same people who have made it impossible for most young people to buy property in London.

>>I can see it now - Sainsbury's replacement: flourescent strip lighting, white plastic seats, and enormous slabs of dried up lasagne.<<

That is certainly a pretty accurate description of Sainsbury's cafes I have visited in the long distant past. However I do wonder if perhaps the Sainsburys PTB have not learnt a trick or two since then and taken on board what people expect nowadays from a coffee shop? We shall see...

In the meantime the old Music Shop site across the road from "Cafe Rude" in West Dulwch is vacant so perhaps you should point this out to the Starbucks Mothership? :))

I think it will be quite good if starbucks move in opposite the station! It will make the area surronding the station entrance/exit far more attractive than its current grotty state!

In fact replace all of the shops (appart from Mirash) leading from the Goose Green Roundabout up to the station!

I'm amazed the area around the station hasn't moved on at the same rate as that of the rest of LL. The shop keepers must all have really long leases or something.

Does anyone have a good understanding of this? I never see places closing down around there.

Did anyone read about Tesco's application to sell alcohol at an Express Store in Bornville, near Birmingham? Thanks to local pressure it was rejected. I'm not that bothered either way but to those who object, rise up and be counted - it seems to work!

I think it is really trying to catchup with ll, not sure about leases, but think it is clear to all that lordship lane is the busy part and people really only venture upto the the station area, simply for the station or the garden centre. I too think this area would benefit from a StarBucks to help speed up the gentrification of the area (as a local buisness may deem it "risky" to setup here. Some new shops have opened, primarily the south london music shop (primarily for kids school music i think) and there are some great small furniture shops. The local news agent has made some effort on the look of his shop. The garden centre, to be fair is very good and I use it regulary.... The area was initally oulined to have all new shop fronts as part of the Bellenden Rd project, but they scapped that part sadly.

Jeremy - Really. I'm quite sad I thought that would be a winning market. Maybe ice lollies in the summer. There is quite a queue you know.

I'm just sad that people seem dont seem to think that independant could do it as well or better than a chain.

The Garden Centre will definitely go - I have it from an insider (sort of). All the nice staff have moved to the offshoot behind the defunct music shop in West Dulwich. Very nice it is too. Also, the giant Sainsburys in Sydenham (some of the West Dulwich crew might not venture that far south as there are def no chain coffee bars down there) has an internet cafe in it. It looks like easy internet, or at least an imitation one as it was all very orange. So maybe we can post on here after doing the shopping? I am sure the cafe will be better than dried up lasagne. With all the new homeware stuff being stocked in the new store, it will be quite "current" I think.

Dear Katgod,

But will they sell ginger bread men, and have big deep armchairs for exhausted breast feeding mothers? I shop in the enormous Sainsbury's in Sydenham sometimes, and there is one of those big electric rocking ride-on's in their dreadful coffee shop. It costs me a small fortune to sit on their hard chairs and drink their Nescafe.

Dear dulwichmum,

I have only used the cafe there once, and lowered the average age considerably. It was full of old men reading the Racing Post, and breast feeding discreetly was very much the order of the day. I wonder if there are less RP readers now it is an internet cafe??

that said the range of products in sydenham store generally is much lower than dulwich, and much less organicy. i therfore trust in Mr Sainsbury to give us somewhere nice to recover from the shock of spending ?120 and still not having anything to eat for dinner. (or is that just me?)

ride-ons should be banned. pride myself on not having given in yet.

Yes, I spend a fortune in there, and end up with random rubbish like a tiny bunch of coriander, some dishwasher tablets and kitchen paper with picture of Pooh the bear on it. The only consolation for spending a fortune and having nothing to show for it was an enormous Vente Latte and a ginger bread man for the boy wonder!