The Barry Barry Road Race - Saturday 24th July - photos are up

I don't know about elite athlete but he's a damn good one. Most of the rest of us just don't come close. We just spend teh rest of the day drinking whilst he sprints off into the distance. Probably to do the Edware Rd run or something

If I remember there was some drama at the finish line whereby someon else gave him a good race but then lost it at the drinking stage due to a "glass malfunction". That might have been the year before tho. My memory is rubbish

Glad to see that the Barry Barry Build up has started already. We had a great turn out last year and depending on this year's success we are confidant that our Olympic event place is secure.

Event date to follow shortly

Surfbobby

aka cool cat in the shades hogging all the limelight - Brilliant!

No. This isn't the London Marathon. It's like some fat, sweaty people running for a bus.

We are all adults. If a car is coming - stop.

The road does not need to be closed, the council/police/other authority do not need to notified.

It's a fun, neighbourhood, social event - not a Stop The War demo.

Oh this thread made me smile - sounds fantastic, what a fun community ED really is B)

I'm up for helping out (if I'm around when it happens)...ahem...purely to be on hand at the Clockhouse...making sure that the bar is well stocked with drinks...yes.....yes, for the runners, of course.

It'll be Barry.

I think the Relaxed Ramble should also have a beer pit stop half way down :) with some nice comfy chairs.

In fact, we could bring along chairs and watch it all go by, Tour de France style.

Let us know the date as soon as... so can keep the diary clear.

Dear all

It would be a great honour to donate the following

Winner: Two Return First Class Tickets to Brighton

Runner Up: Two Return Tickets any where on Southern Route

I had a brilliant time last year and would hope I will be invited again (Not to run of course)

Best wishes

Barry Jones

station Manager

Sports fans

A barry amount of interest for this years event. Working up some dates for the BBRR 2010, plenty of time for training....

Will be back in touch at a later date with plenty of notice as to when this years run will take place and to offer some tips to help you get in shape if you are new to the event.

Station Master Barry - consider yourself offically invited to once again present the prestigous Barry Bear (we need to track it down again!) to this years champion athlete, and thanks for the prizes. Very generous.

The winter gloom is lifting, and I am going to shortly start my trining programme, ramped up from last years gruelling schedule as I hope to smash my PB of 38 mins. Am looking for at least 35 mins this year....The next few weeks will see a heavy amount of training taking place, building up some good basic "fitness" moving toward some "speed work" as the day nears and culminating in bulking up on bar snacks the week before Ready, Steady Barry announces the start of this years event.

Will keep you updated on plans for the day............Surfbobby traditionally calls the date.

Till then...

Lasers set tae malky!

I went to watch last year, claiming I'd never be able to do anything like that. But I've been going to ESPH during my career break, and can now jog over a mile, albeit rather slowly. So my target is to join the rest of you and actually run/jog the Barry Road race this year.

And Barry the station manager, I agree - you're a star!

Ruth

Good golly gosh, I am moist with excitement and anticipation at the return of this event! I'll be there with the proverbial bells on and hope to rope in a few mates for a bit of added competition too. Non Dulwichites are allowed right?

I may even try and bring a crowd of buxom wenches to cheer me on... and everyone who comes in after me too, but not those inconsiderate buggers (aka athletes) rolling in before!

I think there is a Buxom Wench clause in the rules. Something about them having to compete, citing something called the Baywatch Precedent.

You will have to check with the chairman though as he is the only one who has access to the rules, written as they are on the back of an empty pack of Lambert and Butlers and kept under lock and key in a secret nuclear bunker somewhere in the vicinity of Penge.

All welcome, indeed we had a crack team of "athletes" from Australia last year and the winners of the ladies race, the pink ladies are originally from the frozen North. now domiciled clapham way.

Fancy dress is not compulsory, indeed i dont think it was last year. Wear whatever you feel like that will aid the consumption of the liquid and help you fleet of foot doon the road.

Dates coming soon(ish) but will be plenty of notice. Surfbob will be competing in the African Ale Challange in June so will be before that. We need to consult our weather experts to call the date as we like to have the weather set fair for a good and proper warm down at the finishing post. Although they let us down with their predciton for a summer of Bar-b-Ques so it could well be coming down like a cow pi**ing on a flat stone on the day. We wont let that deter us eh no.

Keep up the good work. Will be working on my endurance stats this saturday in and around ED.