That tower block at Elephant and Castle

citizenED

They won't provide all of it as currently* wind power needs back-up from coal-fired plants.

And whilst I admire the engineering and construction of the structure, I don't much like the finished result either.

All the more reason for increased investment in renewable energy research and technology?

Edited for clarity

I don't think that the fact that the fans alone don't power the building makes them wrong? They'll always be part of package of measures, no?

I don't think anyone thinks there'll be one magic bullet for lowering emissions.

The interesting question would be how long it takes for the power/carbon generated to exceed the power/carbon invested in creating the turbines - particularly as a fraction of lifetime.

That'll give you a 'real' contribution.

"The interesting question would be how long it takes for the power/carbon generated to exceed the power/carbon invested in creating the turbines - particularly as a fraction of lifetime."

At the risk of de-railing this thread, I believe this is one of the great unknowns about wind turbines in general.

Turbines or not, I'm not a fan of this building. It already looks at home in its current surroundings. It will be interesting to see if its aesthetics are enhanced by new ones.

It looks like an electric shaver. Not surprising as the precedent to build skyscrapers in the shape of battery powered personal electronics has already been set.

Give it a decade and the aerial view of London should resemble an overflowing toiletry bag.

Huguenot, I only posted that to correct the previous post that stated that the fans would provide all of its power needs, and wasn't wanting to make a point. If we wanted to reduce carbon emissions the best thing would be to consume less and waste less of what we do consume. Can't see it happening, though. Anyway, I think the building is not too pretty but not too ugly either, and will act as a catalyst to revamp E and C.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Who the feck would want to live in a tower block

> in the Elephant & Castle? I mean really, it's a no

> brainer. It's shit.

Stupid people. They're out there, and rather worryingly, they're allowed to vote!

Brendan Wrote:

> It looks like an electric shaver. Not surprising

> as the precedent to build skyscrapers in the shape

> of battery powered personal electronics has

> already been set.

>

> Give it a decade and the aerial view of London

> should resemble an overflowing toiletry bag.

What the hell kind of hotels are you staying in Brendan? Or have I mistaken your meaning on the battery powered personal electronics?

Keef Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Who the feck would want to live in a tower

> block

> > in the Elephant & Castle? I mean really, it's a

> no

> > brainer. It's shit.

>

>

> Stupid people. They're out there, and rather

> worryingly, they're allowed to vote!

i used to live there and yeah it was a bit shit but it's a walk from the City, 'the Borough', the South Bank and two mainline rail terminals, it's on two tube lines, numerous train lines, god know how many bus routes so if you wanna get somewhere else it's very easy

There are some amazing flats in the area now at ridiculous prices. The "Shard" effect will spread and the likes of E&C will definitely change and hopefully for the better.

A lot of buildings seem to have a lot of talk about what they do for the environment but they all seem to struggle; Palestra and the removal of their 16 odd turbines being a good example.

Keef Wrote:

> I just think that if I was looking to buy a flat,

> it wouldn't be in a huge tower.

No Keef..

I see you as more of a "Homemaker"

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/57/81/1578166_8dd21710.jpg

Really...

W**F

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Who the feck would want to live in a tower block

> in the Elephant & Castle? I mean really, it's a no

> brainer. It's shit.

xxxxxxx

But there's a whole regeneration plan for the area, with lots of greenery and trees etc, isn't there?

I think property prices there will continue to rise as the area improves, and it's excellent for transport links.

I wouldn't want to live there now, but in five or ten years time I might.