Peckham Rye Station (being revamped?)

Hi there,

I'm new to the EDF, but glad you brought this topic up. I live over in Peckham Rye and have been hoping for ages that something would be done with the station, as it has the potential to be a very attractive building. It seems now that some of the locals are getting together to push for a proper redevelopment of the area surrounding the station, which would involve the old buildings being knocked down and a public square being created. See this link:

http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station

It will probably need a lot of support to get off the ground, but I for one hope it happens

JohnO

All very interesting - I quite often head into Peckham and have a big soft-spot for the place but that station and entrance really does need sorting. I like the idea of a square but I suspect the usual objections from existing tenants will be voiced

(and can we REALLY do away with that "does anyone really go there" dentist just outside the entrance?)

I use Peckham Rye station a lot, although in recent years i've been forced to use ED or Denmark Hill more often because the place scares me after dark. In addition, that place smells awful as you walk down past what used to be a Pie and Eel house. The Whole area needs revamping, and I agree Sean a town square would fit perfectly into that area.

It's a truly frightening place after dusk with bad lighting and blind corners. Young people might feel a little more safe there.

The smell of stale urine can be lessened by holding your nose as you walk down the stairs.

I wonder how much it would cost to compensate all the retail and commericial businesses and buy the buildings in front of the station? It would be a very large "investment" to create a small square.

I for one, feel this talk of it being a frightening or scary place is a bit OTT.

Both myself and Miss. Argi use it everyday, and she's never asked me to pick her up late at night etc. I've never offered either :-) . Besides, there are cameras everywhere.

Yes, it is filthy, but that applies to most of London. When did you last see the pavement being hosed down anywhere in this city?

There was an armed robbery at the cashpoint in the station about a week ago, the Securicor guard was held up at gunpoint, no one was hurt though. Not sure if the boards have anything to do with that.

The Peckham Vision people want to remove all the horrible 1970's frontage /shops /dank alleyways etc (intend to make sure it's all done ethically) so that the facade can be restored and fully visible again, they also want to create a square and market, and return the huge waiting room on the first floor (latterly a snooker hall but now closed) into a restaurant/cafe and waiting area. They need a lot of support so if you're interested best to sign up via the Peckham Vision link given before.

The council has just taken over the cleaning of the approach to the station after Peckham Vision (I think) found that private contractors were failing to do a good job and petitioned to have the contract taken away from them. There was also a local initiative to take pictures of evidence of fly-tipping by the local shops and general neglect on the part of British Rail (who are responsible for keeping it clean and safe) and upload them to flickr as a daily diary of the poor conditions, see here: www.flickr.com/photos/ruthkennedy/sets/72157594465011883/ not sure if this caught on but it's been a lot cleaner since Southwark Council got the contract back I think. The Peckham Vision people are doing a lot of good actually, I'm not part of them but have been thinking that I should get more involved especially as I always use that station and care a lot about the area in general.

Not sure if would agree that it's safe, the alleyway to the right as you exit is not great planning and certainly doesn't inspire confidence in me after dark, unless there's lots of people around....

Peckham in general (more specifically north Peckham) is rather rough, though I think the ED effect is rubbing off on the Bellenden area of Peckham slowly. It's such a shame Rye Lane cannot recover, because the station was at one time a local masterpiece, the awful art deco buildings in front of the station were ironically added to attract the middle classes into Peckham to shop as they changed trains. Below is a wonderful photograph of the station long before those buldings were added,

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/images/southwark/peckham/peckham-rye-station-00278-640.jpg

Wow - I never noticed what a grand building it is.

I hope they do open up the plaza - but also would be great of there was a local market there - well maintained and the old fruit sellers do a roaring trade. Looking at the photo above, there may be some arches for a cool cafe, shops, newsagents etc. It may kick start a general improvement in the area - not regeneration, just a decline in the threatening vibe.

Some of the current shops seem to have nothing more than an old tin of beans in them - its amazing how they keep going. I would imaging the dearth of trade is due to concerns over safety - my wife hates going there at night.

I'm glad I started the thread - and what a wonderful picture Louisa, what a crying shame the station is hemmed in and cannot be appreciated for what it once was

Bar Story and the little Italian restaurant aside there's not much around the station of note. I've picked my wife up from the station a couple of times (usually when she's had a few drinks!) at night and can understand what people have said. I do think however that during most times the station is manned, the platforms are pretty open and lit, the ticket office has been recently painted and the outside is hosed down each week

Its heading in the right way people :)

spirit Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There was also

> a local initiative to take pictures of evidence of

> fly-tipping by the local shops and general neglect

> on the part of British Rail (who are responsible

> for keeping it clean and safe) and upload them to

> flickr as a daily diary of the poor conditions,

It will actually be Southern Railway who are responsible for the general cleanliness and day to day maintenance - they should have the name of the station manager displayed somewhere in the booking hall - probably the best place to start any complaints....

Network Rail (successor to British Rail) as landlord will only be responsible for the actual fabric of the building plus anything that Southern ask or pay them to do such as painting etc (I know 'cos I work for them!)

The area round the station is in dire need of attention. Peckham definitely can be an intimidating place, and not just for older people. The narrow passages outside Peckham Rye station are a disaster of town planning. And although busy during the day, it can be eerily quiet in the evenings. I would be scared stiff if I thought my girlfriend was walking along there on her own at night.

That's an amazing picture Louisa. What a shame it's being hidden.

What I hate most about the place is the clumps of hair floating down the street. They get chucked out form the hair salons that seem to be open 24/7 in the area.

I really do hope that the old place is somehow restored. I wouldn't like to be the architects/developers! What a mamouth task. And you know you're going to p*ss someone off whatever you decide.

MW that picture was taken right back at the end of the last century, can you imagine what a great space it would have been then? I can imagine horse and carriage dropping off the wealthy folk who lived on Peckham Rye to catch a train into London. I think a town square as previously suggested, or perhaps even a roundabout with a more open entrance to the station with parking spaces outside.

Had this sent to me - might be of interest:

RYE LANE & STATION ACTION GROUP (RLSAG)

residents & council working together

MONDAY 23rd JULY 2007

6.00pm buffet refreshments

6.30pm - 8.30pm meeting

at the Unity Centre

37 Peckham High Street

opposite Persepolis, the yellow shop

You will be very welcome at this meeting which will hear the latest on exciting plans to transform the station & surroundings, and we will discuss how we can keep up the momentum. We look forward to seeing many of you on Monday 23rd July. Please let us know if you think you can come.

Some highlights:

* a presentation from Val Shawcross (London Assembly Member) on the project to open up the piazza in front of the station, & discussion at the meeting with major stakeholders on next steps.

* the project to open up the windows to the old billiard hall has uncovered original windows. Benedict O'Looney will show pictures of the project and report on its progress.

* the accessibility (or rather inaccessibility) of the station and what we can do about it.

* latest on train services & station management from Southern - come and put your questions & suggestions

* discussion on how to improve the quality of trading in Rye Lane.

* minutes of the last meeting are attached for information.