Iceland Volcanic Fallout - All UK Flights Grounded 15-04-10

HAL9000

I'm fairly certain there was a light dusting of volcanic ash on my car this morning. I got some in my mouth accidentally (don't ask): it's nasty stuff - it caused mild irritation, a horrid crunchy grittiness and eventually blood-tinged spit.

I'm seriously considering wearing a dust mask when out and about if this situation continues.

Meanwhile, the Met Office's Jet Stream forecast suggests the prevailing winds will continue until next Friday or Saturday before any uncontaminated winds blow over the UK.

I was outside for about 5 hours yesterday. ED/Herne Hill and Brixton. My nose started running at the end of the day and eyes and throat felt scratchy and still does. My face also feels like it has been exfoliated with a brillo pad. Not pleasant. I agree with you about the mask.

Ladygooner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have to say it was lovely driving down the M4

> today - no black cabs and hardly any traffic due

> to Heathrow closure

It was indeed - we drove to Reading...got there in no time at all. Fabulous.

HAL9000 Wrote:

>...there was a light dusting of

> volcanic ash on my car this morning. I got some in

> my mouth accidentally (don't ask): it's nasty

> stuff - it caused mild irritation, a horrid

> crunchy grittiness and eventually blood-tinged

> spit.

Oh poor you - sounds most unpleasant. My poor newts too - I'm in Reading!

I'm supposed to be flying home from LA next Saturday. I'm sure the cloud will have gone by then but there are so many stranded passengers that I'm a bit concerned I might get bumped from my flight to accommodate stranded passengers. Does anyone know if there is a policy about this? I'm flying Virgin. What I mean is, if flights are running by next Saturday can I still get bumped from my confirmed flight?

I really don't want to be stranded. Any advice gratefully received.

A light dusting of what could well be volcanic ash on cars in Reading today. And again, aircraft noise free...and relatively traffic free roads/M4 on way home...wonderful - arrived home in record time.

Hoping newts at home are fine (couldn't check this evening as too dark).

Talking of which, please - no more PMs requesting newts.

giggirl Wrote:

> I'm supposed to be flying home from LA next

> Saturday. I'm sure the cloud will have gone by

> then but there are so many stranded passengers

> that I'm a bit concerned I might get bumped from

> my flight to accommodate stranded passengers.

> Does anyone know if there is a policy about this?

> I'm flying Virgin. What I mean is, if flights are

> running by next Saturday can I still get bumped

> from my confirmed flight?

>

> I really don't want to be stranded. Any advice

> gratefully received.

GG I should check with your operator regularly and consider making alternative arrangements if possible. The repercussions for flights will last for several days once the ban has been lifted. The Government are talking about mobilising the Armed Forces to get people home. Their plan is to get stranded people to central 'hubs' in mainland Europe and then bus/road them home. Keep checking the situation on the internet - and good luck (but don't let it spoil your holiday!) Mx

The schedules are guaranteed as I understand it, so when the cloud lifts, the airlines will get their normal schedule on track as soon as possible and squeeze the stranded in where they can (few extra planes etc). If they start putting back the timetable when the flights are allowed again they will only be exacerbating the problem and costing themselves more money.

Utshot of this is that you should be ok as long as airspace is open by next Saturday. Sadly, that is far from being a certainty!

Good luck!

the bbc says this about the dust:

"We know the ash can clog jet engines, but is the ash dangerous to humans? Is there any risk of toxic gas from the eruption drifting into populated areas?

Dr Rothery said fine ash can exacerbate asthma or lung diseases. In the UK, ash falling from the cloud is not likely to be a problem while still airborne. If it settles to the ground, he said it should not be stirred up by scuffing it with feet as that would make it hazardous for breathing.

Dr Rothery said the gas did not pose a danger this far down wind."