Aircraft noise

PandG

Folks,

Go to Hounslow, spend a few hours walking around the streets there and then come back and complain. When I canvassing door-to-door there some years ago you would literally have to stop talking to people on their own doorstep for about 30 seconds ever few minutes as a plane came in and it was literally impossible to hear someone a few feet away from you. Once plane had passed, conversation could resume, until the next plane. What we get in ED is NOTHING compared with some areas and I continue to be amazed that anyone is surprised to get airplane noise when you live in a major city.

It's the people who move into a house without realising there is a train track behind the giant garden hedge who have my sympathy - as for the rest of us just be thankful local criminals don't have the police helicopter out on patrol at 1 a.m. every night.

• 3 weeks later...

mistymorn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Didn't see the 'please close it now' .. apologies

Totally off topic, but if someone in a pub who started a conversation which expanded and drew in a few people said "Right, stop talking about it now" - would you stop then?

"and why should we kowtow to those who fly to their second home in the south of France every two weeks?"

Is that what you really think it is?

People who try to introduce fictional wage-envy in order to deliberately misrepresent an argument of critical economic importance should have their vote suspended. You're trying to make the flights issue an 'I hate yuppies' issue.

It's not only blind prejudice, you're actually proud to be perverse! Unbelieveable.

The fact is that everyone wants the planes that take them to Benidorm each year, they just don't want the planes that take other people to work or on their holidays.

Huguenot,

I really admire your eloquent argument on this issue - but you've put and extra 'e' in unbelievable.

I get sick of the noise at times, but I like plane spotting.

ANORAKS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

Incidentally; I'd love to see BA collapse, just to see their greedy, pompous, arrogant directors lose their jobs. But of course we all know that most of the ordinary staff would probably end up jobless for some time and suffer hardship. Meanwhile, Willy and his pals will get new high-power jobs from their mates in the City. That's the world we live in today.

i*Rate Wrote:

> Huguenot,

>

> I really admire your eloquent argument on this

> issue - but you've put and extra 'e' in

> unbelievable.

> I get sick of the noise at times, but I like plane

> spotting.

>

> ANORAKS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

>

> Incidentally; I'd love to see BA collapse, just to

> see their greedy, pompous, arrogant directors lose

> their jobs. But of course we all know that most of

> the ordinary staff would probably end up jobless

> for some time and suffer hardship. Meanwhile,

> Willy and his pals will get new high-power jobs

> from their mates in the City. That's the world we

> live in today.

And such an event would, of course, make you feel better about your own achievments and place in the world? Why do I detect bitterness and envy in your post?

What I find strange here is the assumption that everyone has (or should have) the same noise tolerance. It's not the case - like being short or tall, some people are very noise sensitive, meaning its hard to shut it out, and really stressful. I moved here fm Hackney where there is very little plane noise and it was almost shocking after I'd moved in (unless you go and view your flat at 5am!). I looked at triple glazing and other methods - but given cashflow at the time it was earplugs, and never having the window open at night.

If noise smelled like cigarette smoke or was coloured it might be easier for non-noise sensitive people to understand - its like a potlid. So if the agreement not to expand 3 London airports means City is looked at next then I'm with mistymorn and would want to do something about it.

In terms of cutting down plane use, I've been surprised in the last 4 or 5 years that the telecoms/communications industry hasn't been more on the ball offering communication alternativs (eg videoconferencing) for a chunk of business travel. You can debate what proportion that is, but I don't know anyone that flys regularly that actually finds it a pleasant experience, but there are no comparatively easy ways to 'book' alternatives - eg no 'expedia' or 'skyscanner'. Post-9/11 BA had a series of adverts to ensure businessmen felt they might lose out on deals if they weren't there in person.

I've been surprised in the last 4 or 5 years that the telecoms/communications industry hasn't been more on the ball offering communication alternativs (eg videoconferencing) for a chunk of business travel

They have - surprisingly many business people like travelling (it's a perk of the job) - many are also uneasy about interacting through screens rather than face-to-face - the capability is there and is increasingly (a) technically of high quality and (b) comparatively inexpensive. Some companies use it extensively (and have done for years) - others eschew it.

Why would telecoms companies not be selling services and bandwidth, it's what they do? Customer resistance to this has been high for personal reasons - frequent flyers complain they don't like travel, but often will baulk at the alternatives - for occasional business travellers it's often seen as both a perk and a validation that you are 'important'. Most companies are 'account managed' for their telecoms business - setting up vido-conferencing is now easy and their account managers would be only too happy to do that.

A (30 second) internet search brought me to this

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/internet-communication/web-conferencing/

I doubt whether any business office manager couldn't manage that as well, even if they didn't have a BT account mananger.

• 1 year later...

Maybe just because of this little heat wave and we have our windows are open that I?ve noticed the noise.

This morning from about 5 am flights every 5-10 mins until 7.30 am then everything calms down and the flights become less frequent and less noisy.

Looks like a case of flights bunching up to land after the earliest allowed time.

Bloody awfull!

The planes have definitely got worse this year. They're flying a lot lower and they are a lot more frequent. I've just joined Heathrow Action Campaign Against Noise (HACAN). They've got a good website and lobby for flight paths to be switched more frequently to give everyone at least a little respite.

Peckhampam Wrote:

> Funny, I thought the early morning flights have

> been much better this last week!

Yes for some reason I didn't hear any Thurs-Sat last week - complete silence. Then they started up again Sunday morning. Is that my imagination or not?!

alik Wrote:

> The planes have definitely got worse this year.

> They're flying a lot lower and they are a lot more

> frequent.

I agree, though I never notice the absence of planes on the days when they take different approach routes to Heathrow. Being woken up at 5.30 sucks. Roll on winter and closed windows.

alik,

Many thanks for your info on HACAN; thank goodness there is some kind of campaign to make it known how bad the situation is for people living on the flight paths. I will have a look into what they are doing. When I made my earlier comments on the The Forum, I pointed out that things had certainly got worse since I moved to ED in 1980. OK, I know we all have to accept that there will be more air flights (and cars) in the world a time goes on, but the noise now has become unacceptable at times. On many days recently, I have found that the flights passing over my home average around 35 per hour which means that there is actually no break between the sound of each one (no silence). These continuous flights then continue for hours; on Sunday for example they went on for five hours, early evening until 10.30pm - so not chance on enjoying the hot weather by having a meal in the garden. The volume also disrupts watching TV or listening to the radio, let alone trying to think clearly about anything.

My suggestion is that all airlines concerned and particularly BA,who seemed to fly over the most, give us in ED a gift of a community facility from their profits. Maybe something like a playground or a garden or even our own mini version of The London Eye with all rides(flights) free?!

Kind regards to all.

On the rarish occsions when the noise bother me I can't help thinking: the planes are coming in to land, therefore getting lower and therefore lots of other people are going to be suffering from much louder noise and far greater disturbance than me.

Or am i missing something?

They start at 4:30am on the dot. You can set your watches by them. An insomniac's nightmare - if they have them, that is. I am woken up by them most mornings. What is worse is that now they are starting to come over during the 'quiet period' between 11pm and 4:30am. I'm sure this is not allowed, but who would I complain to? I keep myself awake pondering this question, before stuffing the ear plugs in once more.