peckham rye park cafe

Guide dogs are extremely well looked after and groomed - after all they act as the eyes for some people - that I think is the thinking behind the exemptions. As for the noise I sat in the lobby of claridges the other evening and had dinner, extremely noisy as usual but as always lots of fun. Maybe people need to drop this obsession with kids and buggies from their minds and relax a little, let it all just fade into the background it just all seems to be getting a bit weird right?

I chased a couple of kids (12-14 yr olds) off of the roof of the cafe this evening, they were throwing stuff (too dark to see what, but will check tomorrow)down into the builders area at the back. They ran off towards Friern Rd. So if at about 6.45pm your little future doctor, lawyer, teacher etc etc and current little yob and vandal arrived home out of breath, that's where they were.

Well done. Does anone else think there is precious little security around that area ? May be a flood light or a machine gun tower that will stop these ED hooligans coming over to our side !!!

On a more serious note, did the bowls hut or something similar get flamed within a week due to lack of council foresight ?

luke dogwalker Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Whilst I wish the cafe folk every success, and it

> is a great addition etc, I'm afraid that I won't

> use it in the winter as I have dogs. I'm not going

> to pay the same price for a coffee or food (thats

> going to get cold real quick because I have to sit

> outside) as the people inside who are sitting in

> the warm(!)

> I will not tie my dogs up outside, anywhere, also

> I don't mind children, but their are far too many

> inside for me. Which leads me on to my request.

> Could we in the summer months, please have a child

> free area on the grass to the right of the cafe as

> if you were outside looking at it? We could sit on

> the chairs without worrying about parents letting

> their little ones wander over willy nilly with our

> four legged friends. My dogs are very well behaved

> and always accompany me to the pub etc.

Have to agree with you Luke. As a fellow dog owner it's hard to be on the outside, in the freezing cold, trying to get the attention of a member of staff, just so you can order a coffee in the first place. It's even tougher when you are asked by those inside to please shut the door because they are feeling a draught!

I can see that parents may well object to even well behaved dogs being inside the cafe but perhaps a little more consideration could be given to us dog owners. We are also fully paid up members of the community and probably spend more time in the park, in all weathers, than others. We also pay the same price for the privilege of consuming our coffee and food outside.

Like Luke I won't leave my dog tethered outside because dog theft is a serious concern and too many mothers will let their toddlers just wander up to any dog tied up outside, assuming that it must be 100% safe. Obviously no dog can ever be trusted with kiddies, especially those it does not know. If the child gets snapped at the dog is branded vicious. So, as well as a dog friendly summer space, might cafe staff also perhaps come to the cafe door, or even outside, to serve us dog owners? How about some patio warmers too?

aw come on, you cant have all those dogs in there. other day morning time there was about 6 bounding about whilst 3 people drank coffees outside. they even provide water bowls. unsusual huh? plus you can see clearly out those widows and tethereing poles.where else does that? its a park. thus dog surplus.

No one wants the dogs inside except dog owners.betya.

Woodie,

I think you have missed the point. I am not asking for dogs to be allowed inside the cafe. I am raising an issue about service to me as a cafe user. If you do not want to tether your dog outside it is very difficult to get the attention of staff in order to get a coffee etc.. I am advocating a compromise whereby lone dog owners could place an order outside or at the cafe door. This could be regarded as the quid pro quo for agreeing to stay outside. I have already explained that tethering a dog is not without risk. Dog theft is on the rise and yes it can happen right under your nose -see attack of woman in recent dog theft attempt on Peckham Rye. Also,I do not want my dog to be approached by a strange toddlers when he is tethered, not because he is anything but sweet natured, but because I could never guarantee his behaviour with a little creature without me there to supervise, no dog owner ever should. As I said, I have witnessed too many Mums just let their toddler wander up to a tethered dog. If anything ever happened who would get it in the neck? I'm not anti Mums or anti toddlers, but I've seen this happen. Finally, I assume that a park cafe is there to be enjoyed by all who use the park, you get a lot of dog owners who are very regular park- goers and would love a hot cuppa after a frosty walk.

I have no problems with people in the cafe with their dogs on leashes with them.

I believe there is a health and safety issue which is (dogs') bollox since guide dogs are well behaved dogs, too, but have all the same equipment.

Considering the issue I am now actively going to be sensitive to any lone dog owners who look like they're wanting some attention and offer to get their coffees or whatever for them. I am not a dog owner, but I love dogs and by far most dog owners are very caring of their dogs.

woodie Wrote:

> No one wants the dogs inside except dog

> owners.betya.

Or make a sign on an A4 piece of cardboard. Use thick marker pen and write 'Lone Dog Walker in need of coffee/tea/love& understanding'. Stand outside one of the very big windows and I'm sure it will catch a server's eye.

It sounds like there is a market for an animal friendly cafe in the area - 'Doggie Delights Cafe and Grill - Coffee for you and an T-bone for your four legged friend'

AllforNun Wrote:

> Dear loons

> > Follow instructions carefully

> > Tether dog, walk 5 paces to door, open and wait,

> when Barrista ! looks in your direction say

> "capuccino to go" please , shut door and wait,

> when door opens hand over money, wait for change

> then untether dog and walk off.

> > Thanks x

Why bother tethering the dog if you're not going in? Besides, do you really think that when a queue has formed inside the cafe, the staff will take notice of someone waiting by the door and work out where in the queue they should be? Please think things through before you come on and be so bloody patronising.

As for being loons, we'll leave that description for one such as yourself as you do so well at proving yourself worthy of the title.

Ah ha The lord of the parks has arrived

You really are a bit of a wally - get of your little horse. I think the staff are perfectly capable of figuring out the regular dog walkers that appear every day. Stop being such a waste of typing space and move on. You are the boss of nowt except your own ego....and i am sure the staff can see that coming from New Cross

As for "please think things through before...blah blah blah" ....is your rampant sense of self importance now taking over the forum ? Are you coming down from your mountain of dog biscuits with some little stone tablets of forum rules, are you now parting the water in the peckham lake and producing fresh bread for the cafe ?

Cue associates of parkboss to heckle from the back x

AllforNun Wrote:

> Ah ha The lord of the parks has arrived

> > You really are a bit of a wally - get of your

> little horse. I think the staff are perfectly

> capable of figuring out the regular dog walkers

> that appear every day. Stop being such a waste of

> typing space and move on. You are the boss of nowt

> except your own ego....and i am sure the staff can

> see that coming from New Cross

> > As for "please think things through before...blah

> blah blah" ....is your rampant sense of self

> importance now taking over the forum ? Are you

> coming down from your mountain of dog biscuits

> with some little stone tablets of forum rules, are

> you now parting the water in the peckham lake and

> producing fresh bread for the cafe ?

> > Cue associates of parkboss to heckle from the back

> x

Oh dear, seems I've upset you yet again, but your obvious lack of sobriety appears to have lead you to assume that I was speaking for the whole forum and ordering you to do something. Whereas the idea of putting the word 'please' at the beginning of a sentance should've given you the clue that it was a request and please have no doubt that I was speaking from a purely personal stand point. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the Peckham Lake, as I'm not familiar with it.

I can assure you that 'my little horse' or rather the one I have the use of, is in fact of substantial size, but I guess that's not really what you mean. If my ego intimidates you, then that's just something you'll have to deal with. Now turning to your idea of an insult. Well 'wally' really is quite strong isn't it? My own description of you also would start with a 'w' but besides it probably not making it through the boards profanity filter, it would more than likely be a incorrect or rather doubtful description too.

"Lord of the parks" LOL I like that ;-)

mmm well actually you can take the word wally 2 ways

1. [noun] a silly and inept person; someone who is regarded as stupid

Synonyms: Wally

2. Derived from the Germanic word meaning "ruler of castle or fortress" or "ruler of an army"

I will let you boys decide, but add my comments "riding a horse" , "lord of the parks" and it may point you in the right direction.

Anyway I am glad that everyone agrees that buying a coffee while walking a dog is a rather simple affair, not to be confused with riding a horse while drinking white lightning through a straw. Smiles an Winks !