peckham rye park cafe

Just incase you have all got emotional and missed the point.

The Cafe is great great news and any delay would be no reflection on the leaseholders. No there should not be any form of public consultation about a menu. Menus are organic things and can grow and mature with time so let's not put any more pressure on someone who is starting a new buisness. Sensitivies are not high as far as I am aware, but excitement most definately is.

And if any one can get a message to Fiona tell her to do her own advertising and think 360 degress!

First a disclaimer: I'm new to ED and to the ED Forum and not yet well-versed in the local politics...

But...

Surely when it comes to mugs of tea or cafe latte, it's not a matter of either/or? There are days when only a humungous steaming mug of tea will do. Preferably with a bacon buttie. And there are times when I want a strong latte and something sweet to to dunk in it.

I'm buggered if I can see why I should have to opt for one or the other in perpetuity.

Let's have both!

If EDF are as efficient with their electrics as they were with my house (over 3 months) then it'll be well into next year before we get either a latte or a decent brew to tuck into. Anyway, with the pouring rain and the 1 O'Clock club building being shut I doubt there'll be any punters anyway during the week. Grim.

The o'clock club is shut because it always floods when it rains and has done since the late 90's. The drains are really old and the childrens just unlucky to be born so close. But hey at least Dulwich Park has got electric gates and Goose Green has a ?150000 fence and 7 shit bins in the space of 80 metres !

The Cafe is in Peckham Rye Park. Peckham Rye Park has "Friends". The Friends of Peckham Rye Park" are volunteers who put themselves out to have meetings to discuss things relating to the park for the benefit of everyone. I am a member but I never have time to go. BoosBoss - however - does, and he and the others work hard. The comment "there was almost no serious attempt to engage the local community, most of the residents that I know who live near the park had absolutely no idea." - is a shame to read because posters are always posted saying when the next Friends of Peckham Rye Park meetings are, so it's up to us to see them and attend. I happened to be at the meeting a few years ago when the chosen architects discussed the plans for the much bigger cafe that was going to go up. It was beautiful. It had features designed into it to help "design out" vandalism, and was much bigger than the one now built. Guess what. Money fell through. I'm digressing, my point is that volunteers can't exactly post notes through everyone's doors to say when meetings are due, and please don't be angry at this point. Yes, the cafe does look fantastic. Shame about the timing but hey, let's make sure we make it worthwhile and hope the prices for a cuppa are not silly-money or I'll be sticking to taking me flask to the picnic area....

HOWEVER, I totally agree with your point about council not really wanting people at (community) council meetings. I have to say the community council meetings are reactive rather than proactive, and like all Southwark Council's apparent open-handed dealings, they are there to be seen to ask our opinions and be open, when in truth the deal has been done and the plans already made. Well, most of the time anyway. Right, see the time? Yawn.

Thank you Peckham Rose - I agree some times I go in a bit heavy, but sometimes I think it is needed. I went to those meetings years back and watched on, depressed, as a sudden discovery of Asbestos in the old proposed site for the cafe was discovered. No doubt to the joy of the council. This was around the same time DV park were discussing plans for a small helicopter landing pad !

The meetings are posted up on the notice boards, but never much further. The council kindly..gave Nunhead a crumb of regeneration in the form of 2 nice notice boards around Nunhead Green. I have always wondered why there has never ever been any information posted there regarding , the friends of Peckham Rye Park, The Cafe in Pecham Rye Park, the Park Village fete, the ?150000 towards the new pool area ? and I could go on

The fact that under the councils own border deliniation thingy Nunhead is actually, Nunhead & Peckham Rye, makes it all the stranger,

I did once have a cousin at school, he had think milkbottle glasses, his trousers were always too short and he smelt of biscuits so we barely spoke...what do you think ?

What do I think? I think you should relax, look at signs that say when meetings are taking place, put yourself out and look at the various websites, (foprp have one I think), Community Council meetings - the Nunhead and Peckham Rye one is TONIGHT at 7 at Mary Magdalene school - and make your voice - a voice which we all hear regularly here - heard by elected officials and council officers who have power to ignore you - I mean - have power to listen and hear all of us saying similar things. And stop being so angry in here against those trying to make things better.

Since you asked. :)

Thanks peckhamrose:) I have over the last few years, been one of the volunteers who go around in my own time, after doing a full days work etc, putting up posters for FOPRP. I also leafleted Scutari Rd, Marmora Rd, Colyton Rd and Homestall Rd a few years back about the cafe. I am a doer, not someone who moans about things and does nothing about it. The FOPRP are all volunteers who also have a life, but are working hard for the community. We ALWAYS need volunteers, so allfornun, we could email you some posters in the future which you could put up for us?

Great idea, i will PM you an address.

But point oh Thorny Rose of Peckham......I have not been angry at anyone ? just saying that the play area is in need of some regenration and that someone should make use of the notice boards on Nunhead Green.

I think it is great volunteering time. I have been voluneering plenty in my own way. It is far to simplistic to say

"someone who moans about things and does nothing about it" it seems to be a badge people think they can wear if you attend meetings.

anyway...standby for a influx of new members !

Down with 'corrosion of character'

(Reply to lollipop)

It was really good fun and very inclusive. I arrived early disguised as a yucca plant.

It got a bit weird when boozeboss and lukewlaker started to do some strange dance that was part of an ancient ritual to bring water out of the fountain near the pond...not sure if it worked...also noticed some pitch forks and what look like straw torches. i got a bit worried that they may try to chase me out of town.

I waited till they broke to drink the blood of an organic chicken while chanting an incantation in front of a photo of ming (lib Leader) in the hope that he may develop the youthfull looks of D Beckham, oh sorry I mean, Cameron, At this point I slipped out of the side door.

I had a narrow escape when one of lukedogwalkers dogs started to sniff around, but he just elected to urinate on my fake pot. I had to cover my wet foot prints with a mixture of earth and litter until I slipped quietly under a searchlight and out of bellinden don ding road.

How was it for you lozzyoyolo ?

• 4 weeks later...