peckham rye park cafe

batdog Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tha name of the Caf is JUDE (tu)

batdog, JUDE is the name of the ice cream they sell. Must admit I did a double-take when I saw the JUDE flyers on the tables.

The caf?'s called Caf? on the Rye.

It's open 9am - 4pm seven days a week.

Nero - the graffiti's been painted over - must have been something you wrote ;-)

I think today must've been EDF day! I was there too, enjoying a latte and carrot cake. Sat in the window looking out across The Rye, great view! Friendly staff, lovely atmosphere. May have to try the Full English tomorrow. Well worth the wait! Well done Fiona!!! :))

pavilioncafe Wrote:

> Ok to update you all on Peckham Rye - they had

> problems with the electricity and hence were

> unable to open. It should be open now. It has

> been taken over by a local lady who was in the

> hotel industry. Hope that helps and good luck to

> her. You lot are tough.

LOL Have you read this thread? They've been open since monday and the general EDF concencus of those that have visited is positive. (Perhaps when you say 'tough' it's experience speaking)

Edited to add; I like the Pavillion too ;-)

Fab idea mighty roar - I'm with you!

Seriously, though I've heard through several sources (not just via the Forum) that the owner of Chandelier definately doesn't want mums and babes 'sharing one pot of tea betweeen them' and chatting for hours and is encouraging more of a child-free atmosphere. And the Peckham Rye Cafe seems to be actively welcoming groups of mums and babes. So solution - people looking for a child-free coffe and cake can have chandilier and those of us with sprogs can have lovely homemade cake at the Peckham Rye Cafe! Problem sorted.

Well I have now been twice and on each occasion there were loads of kids in, of every size, age, shape, hair colour. skin tone; quiet and boisterous, happy and subdued etc etc but, oddly never yet a crying one. Perhaps I just got lucky. or am less scary to look upon? :)) But...if crying babies put you off your squidgy chocolate cake then remember (1) these kids will probably be funding your old age pension eventually and (2) you can buy ear plugs....(and (3) it leaves more chocolate cake for me...)

Scruffy Mummy Wrote:

> Seriously, though I've heard through several

> sources (not just via the Forum) that the owner of

> Chandelier .. is encouraging more of a

> child-free atmosphere.

How do you 'encourage' a child-free atmosphere?

"How do you 'encourage' a child-free atmosphere?"

Presumably by banning the little buggers, or at least by making them and their parents feel unwelcome.

It's a bit of an odd strategy though, as I'd imagine that a large proportion of their available weekday clientele is likely to be mothers (with or without their children), so it's hardly likely to be good for their weekday business, and place like that can't only survive on weekend trade. Also, if they are too indiscreet about wanting a 'child free atmosphere" someone may just consider their actions to be age discrimination.

Simon M - good points mate! I always want to remind people that these 'irritating' little people who are 'invading' their space will be the next generation who will be their doctors, care workers, nurses, charity workers, etc who will be looking after them when they are at the other end of life.

*Bob* - You encourage it by making mums and kids feel unwelcome in the place which I think has been discussed on other threads. And by discussing your strategy openly with a number of people in the community. To be honest, it doesn't bother me at all if a cafe or restaurant wants to be explicity child-free. If someone doesn't want my business because I have a kid, that fine. It's not like there are a dearth of cafe's selling nice hot drinks and cake in East Dulwich/Peckhamwhere you can go with the sprog. But it does mean I won't use the place when I'm not with my kids - just because I'd rather give my loyalty to places which were welcoming when I was in the grip first few months of newborn fog and stress.

Frico - Agree it's an odd strategy as it's my experience that I spend more when I'm out with my toddler in cafe's - comfort and rewarding food for me, numerous treats for him to keep him quiet and occupied for my short window of opportunity. So I can't believe that mothers and babies actually cost cafe's and restaurants money. To be honest, I also use cafe's alot without my toddler when I'm working on my laptop and that's when I'm usually nursing one cup of coffee for 2 hours! (If it's an independent cafe that I like I'll buy lunch or something so I'm not just abusing their facilities.)

Just back from a restorative bacon sarnie at Peckham Rye Cafe and I though it was fantastic.

Great food, and amazingly well set up for children. They were even super nice when my baby puked on the floor (!). I will be back there lots, I loved it.

A great addition to East Dulwich, I wish them all the very best.

Ummm a great addition for Peckham Rye, too :D

Had a full vegetarian English there this morning 9.30am seeing off a fciend who had come down from Cheshire to see my play in Kentish Town...! She was mighty impressed with where we live, the beautiful park on a cold frosty morning, and the very wonderful welcome we had in the cafe. She had been one of those "London's too busy for me" people, but thought Peckham Rye was absolutely delightful and peaceful. And she loved the play ;) ;)

Mellors Wrote:

> A great addition to East Dulwich, I wish them all

> the very best.

Whilst I wish the cafe folk every success, and it is a great addition etc, I'm afraid that I won't use it in the winter as I have dogs. I'm not going to pay the same price for a coffee or food (thats going to get cold real quick because I have to sit outside) as the people inside who are sitting in the warm(!)

I will not tie my dogs up outside, anywhere, also I don't mind children, but their are far too many inside for me. Which leads me on to my request. Could we in the summer months, please have a child free area on the grass to the right of the cafe as if you were outside looking at it? We could sit on the chairs without worrying about parents letting their little ones wander over willy nilly with our four legged friends. My dogs are very well behaved and always accompany me to the pub etc.

• 3 weeks later...

impressive!

cept i ended up eating my lil ones sandwich because if its got salad on the side, game over. I was the only dulwich dad in there and not eating meat meant, it was a bit sparse on the menu for me. I left the inevitable 'please do homemade fish finger something and some sort of neato pizza thing' on the suggestion card. not bad prices tho, cakes looked yummy, almond coissant to die for, looked like. but as i ended up eating a meal more than i wanted to, was to full to try one.

I remember peckham rye with 'under mi sleng teng' blaring out 82 and its quite incredible to think that this sort of comfy dullwich style enterprise is there nowadays. It being lunchtime i'd expect a lot of mums and babies in there. but thats all there was and it was packed. very friendly staff.my 2 meals were very tasty. lucky they didnt have veg sausage or what not or id have gone to town and had the huge tuna sandwich. Luke its a kid hole.a creche practically. no escape!

I went there for the first time this afternoon. Enjoyed thoroughly especially Mamas & Papas on tape. Only thing, it's very noisy. Not bothered by the children, just a lot of clanging and banging - suppose that's the downside of an open kitchen, which also appears to be roped off - I guess too many toddlers made a break for freedom.

I love the caf?, was in it the day it opened and go regularly. Imaginative and reasonably priced menu, thoughtful staff and nice relaxed atmosphere. And the fridge cake is yummy.

I do think it's a bit silly to complain about the number of children in there, although I sympathise with the child-free finding lots of kids too noisy. The caf? has lots of kids' stuff on the menu, high chairs, great changing facilities and well-chosen toys for a range of childrens' ages. Since they are therefore clearly gunning for the Parent Pound, it's a bit like complaining that there are too many kids in Disneyland.

However, I like the idea of there being a kid-free bit outside in the summer where dog-owners can hang out. Parents and dog owners often have a bit of an uneasy relationship, and there should be consideration for both.

I take back anything negative sounding in my previous post. place rocks. dogs? whats the issue there? not many food places would want your dog in there. If you tie the dog outside you can see them clearly through the large window.no problem. I had that almond coissant.I'll be regular 9.30 breakfaster in there. manageress v nice. trying to improve areas she sees not working so well.

Some peoples dogs arent even theirs. pro dog walkers..you couldnt justify a bunch of dogs coming in, though im sure that wouldnt be what a pro dog walker would do.

full marks, good luck to it.

It's just too noisy for me. I was hoping for a nice quiet place I could have breakfast once in a while and read me paper. Not gonna happen. Love the dogs though. Thinking of getting a guide dog, you can take them anywhere. Curious really considering they are dogs like any other dogs. If someone's allergic to dogs or consider dogs to be unhygienic in a food shop, aren't guide dogs gonna be the same problem? Anyway, yeah, love the cafe, glad it's there, but it's just too damn noisy. Someone above also wrote about the crashes and banging as well as the screaming (and that's just the serving staff ahhahahah). I wish the place well. I am just not going as much as I would hope. Be back in the summer though!