peckham rye park cafe

Crystal Tips Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

- come on bb - we are

> clearly under starters orders here but when are we

> off............

Put it this way. You may be forgiven for believing that the fireworks are celebrating it's opening :))

• 2 weeks later...

Just come home after a visit to the new cafe and it is LOVELY.

There is lots of choice of what to have to eat and drink.

The staff are really nice.

It is very spacious and well laid out.

There are lots of high chairs and little toys for little ones.

I did not go into the toilets but one of the girls said they have a nice changing table for the babies with a mobile hanging over it.

We went in after our Powerpramming class and the staff did not mind that there were loads of us with prams.

The hot chocolate and muffins were gorgeous! Look forward to going back again next week.

*advance warning: gush alert*

I just want to endorse what everyone else has said about this place. It is absolutely terrific and I urge people to visit and try it before word gets about and they are deservedly packed to the rafters. Dropped in today for a late, hot breakfast and a double espresso and ended up having three of the latter, at only ?1.50 a go. The blackboard was full of tempting stuff - had I not been alone I'd have been sorely tempted to have a whole baked camembert with honey and thyme and pitta (for 2). The soups looked wonderful (roasted coconut squash?!) as did all the breads..

The clientele was interesting. It is refreshingly unchandelieresque. As well as a (insert suitable collective noun here) of young/youngish mothers with assorted small/tiny children (I counted at least hafl a dozen high chairs) there were a couple of members of HM Constabulary in full uniform enjoying their "refs" by a window: so probably not a good place either to score drugs or mug anyone then...

And the staff smile and are helpful. It is going to be a great place to go next summer (if we get a summer) to sit out and enjoy the view and eat and drink without inhaling exhaust fumes.

There's a certain irony I think that this cafe would fit so well into Dulwich Park, whereas the one actually there is so unlovely...

I was there with Scruffy Daddy for lunch and agree how lovely it was! Can highly recommend the gooey chocolate cake which is simply divine - I'm surprised the homemade cakes aren't made more of as they are a bit hidden on the back counter - maybe have a 'cake of the day' featured on the front counter alongside the small display of the fairy cakes/muffin things?? I love cake and can't wait to have a slice of choc cake with ice cream in the summer - yum! (I only wish I was still breastfeeding and could eat cake everyday without worrying about the pounds piling on!