Vandalism of new playground at goose green

Thanks KidKruger I was beginning to feel like an outcast.

I have been taught now though that it is merely my lack of tolerance and regressive attitude towards the poor bored little tikes.........

We must learn to accept and embrace such things, the world will be a happier place for it!

>:D<

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So a bloke mentions vandalism of local childrens

> playground apparatus which is not yet fully

> constructed.

>

> And people complain about:

> - well that's not a REALLY serious issue/crime,

> not worthy of mention on the forum

> - the WAY that he mentions the vandalism

> and they insult him.

>

> Pretty weird.

xxxxxxxx

Don't you think PGC's suggestion that calling the police would have been a good idea was a useful one?

KK and Steve - have a look at Ted Max's post a few centimetres above. That's the nub of the matter really isn't it? No-one is insulting steve because he is against vandalism and burglary per se... just that perhaps there is a measure of overreaction here

we don't know for SURE they were vandalising do we - they possibly were and if so that's a shame. But "dregs of society"?

And many a non-liberal can recall the days when they went trespassing without telling their folks and ultimatel causing SOME damage.. somewhere alongthe path to adulthood. Perhaps you never did but then it will be me asking for that travelcard to Utopia

I was merely picking up on the harshness of the "dregs of society" and condemnation of the poor kid as immoral. That could be any perfectly decent persons young son that you are casually insulting. Furthermore, I have nothing personal against SB and wouldn't dream of pejoratively using a set of political beliefs to flippantly damn the counter argument....and that I, for one, have not.

Come on guys,stop making steve feel like an outcast.

Vandalism is a real problem for all of us.If there chipping away at the wood with a sharp object that's serious.Even worse they could demage the climbing ropes which could cause a nasty injury to our little ones. Steve and Chuck are right.

Playground should have been finished months ago,what are they playing at!

I think they've now finished the turfing and since last week added the bouncy play equipment replacing the weird old bull and pelican thingies.

Really looking forward to seeing the playground in action!

missus Wrote:

> I just presume that those questions are rhetorical

> because they are so ridiculous. Just because

> someone has greater tolerance to naughty behaviour

> does not mean they do not know the difference

> between burning the whole thing to the ground and

> chipping away at one post of a very big wooden

> jungle gym. Or even still, the difference between

> chipping away at some communal piece of wood and

> chipping away at someone else's car.

>

> "It's tolerance of minor acts that make the

> slightly more offensive tolerable over time, and

> so on and so on....... "

>

> Yeah, you're right - first the 'liberal' forumers

> condone minor vandalism and soon we'll be excusing

> rape and murder, right?

>

> On the subject of regressing, I think it's angry

> people who take such un-proportionately gross

> offence at such unbelievably minor acts and are so

> willing to cast such strong judgements on others

> that make society more tricky to live in, not the

> little blighters who will undoubtedly grow out of

> such trivial wrong-doing.

Having read this post and one other about a guy who got mugged, it occurs to me that a possible reason for angry reactions is the feeling of powerlessness that seems to be felt by adults when presented by any form of anti-social behaviour from young people. When I was a young gel, if caught doing something adults considered not ok I would have benn dealt with by a fierce telling off there and then or marched home to my parents. Even though kids have always done 'naughty' or 'bad' things, they, I, we never for one minute believed we were in charge or held the ace cards. Any one working with kids will know that many do not have parents who give a toss, and that kids grow up also not giving a toss. Not just about you, but about themselves as well. A sad indictment of the society adults have created.:(

I see your point Kalamiphile, but you seriously have to consider what level of anti-social behaviour you feel powerless to. OK, mugging is a lot more serious and harder to directly stand up to; but are you seriously suggesting that these angry people feel powerless to a naughty 11 year old chipping away at a playground?

In fact, your social critique illustrates precisely the point, K. Rather than shouting out of the window and writing a grumbling notice on the forum, perhaps as adults we ought to assume our age and wisdom-given authority over this child (which is notably correct and proper if your reference to, as a child, being dealt with and marched home to your parents, is to be rightly acknowledged) in order to stop him doing what he is doing which obviously negatively appeals to your sense of morality.

It's no good sitting and whinging about 'oh his parents obviously never brought him up properly'.... What is that going to solve? If you really think he is the 'moral scum of society' then go and sort himself out yourself for sake of purging your own blatantly self-righteous soul and doing your bit to 'save the playground'. It's all a question of how much you really care... enough to act upon your feelings? Unlikely.

(Btw don't take offense at the 'you', Kalamiphile, as it's more an open plural than direct remarks)

On a lighter note - thank god the thing is actually open! Been going to Dulwich Park instead which is generally mobbed!

Although I didn't witness the incident (i'm only going on what i've read), "Dregs of society" is a little harsh. But as Isaid previously, if they've got a sharp object, which could be a knife. I don't mean to sound dated but we often carved our names, logos and girls we liked into the wood. In this world of knife culture, I suppose it's hard to believe that they were just young kids harmlessly carving their names into the wood. On a positive note, I'm glad to have the apparatus opening very soon.

missus Wrote:

> I see your point Kalamiphile, but you seriously

> have to consider what level of anti-social

> behaviour you feel powerless to. OK, mugging is a

> lot more serious and harder to directly stand up

> to; but are you seriously suggesting that these

> angry people feel powerless to a naughty 11 year

> old chipping away at a playground?

>

> In fact, your social critique illustrates

> precisely the point, K. Rather than shouting out

> of the window and writing a grumbling notice on

> the forum, perhaps as adults we ought to assume

> our age and wisdom-given authority over this child

> (which is notably correct and proper if your

> reference to, as a child, being dealt with and

> marched home to your parents, is to be rightly

> acknowledged) in order to stop him doing what he

> is doing which obviously negatively appeals to

> your sense of morality.

>

> It's no good sitting and whinging about 'oh his

> parents obviously never brought him up

> properly'.... What is that going to solve? If you

> really think he is the 'moral scum of society'

> then go and sort himself out yourself for sake of

> purging your own blatantly self-righteous soul and

> doing your bit to 'save the playground'. It's all

> a question of how much you really care... enough

> to act upon your feelings? Unlikely.

>

> (Btw don't take offense at the 'you', Kalamiphile,

> as it's more an open plural than direct remarks)

>

> On a lighter note - thank god the thing is

> actually open! Been going to Dulwich Park instead

> which is generally mobbed!

YYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you goto any kids playpark anywhere in the country with large wooden play structures , you will find the initials of countless kids first loves carved into them AD 4 Debby etc, I kind of like looking at them and have to admit there may be a swing or two somewhere with mine on, It doesn't mean I have grown into the dregs of society and I wouldn't dream of graffitting any now, nor would I condemn any kid who in a fit of boredom or in the heat of young love did it, if your 11 a big clean thing like that is just begging to have a notch in it, it's almost irresistable to some kids and although its not strictly the right thing to do, at that age could you resist? I guess one mouldy persons vanalism is another kids christening.

These things are bound to happen they are a fact of life.

hugs

based on, i speculate, that we live in a society where a new facility will get abused from the moment it's made available... graffitti, vandalism and maybe even a fire will visit this nice new kids' park

are you saying that if you were betting money you would bet against what beef said ?

there's no 'based on' needed, it's just very likely isn't it.

and I am NO Eater 81 !!

KidKruger Wrote:

> based on, i speculate, that we live in a society

> where a new facility will get abused from the

> moment it's made available... graffitti, vandalism

> and maybe even a fire will visit this nice new

> kids' park

>

> are you saying that if you were betting money you

> would bet against what beef said ?

> there's no 'based on' needed, it's just very

> likely isn't it.

>

>

> and I am NO Eater 81 !!

I agree, some people just choose not to see it!