Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Marmora Man Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> - let's have

> > fun discussing the world, the universe and

> digital

> > watches (and pubs to keep this rant on topic).

>

> There's something a bit Douglas Adams about that

> statement.

Well spotted. DA was a great fan of proper pubs.

Louisa - ho hum darling, your bigotted ideas about class are so enlightening.

As if we have a choice over what accent we have. No matter what "class" you are, you will generally speak similarly to the way your parents do, and they in turn. Not much choice there.

Speaking of accents, isn't estuary English meant to be taking over the whole of southern England now? So where do you get your ideas of bland middle class accent then? Listen to the BBC presenters for example - very few of them speak RP now, and even Her Maj's accent has changed over the years to reflect a watering down of its poshness.

Estuary is escaping the river and has pushed back the Pam Ayres accent out of it's native Berkshire. But alot of that is to do with the movement of londoners out of London to the new towns (stevenage was always alot more london than letchworth's yokel twang, but now young Letchwothians are pretty indistinguishable from their counterparts five miles away).

But it's not nearly as all conquering as some scaremongers posited a couple of years back (talk of Jockney etc) and most recent studies have shown regional accents and expressions to be resiliently healthy.

Funnily enough in London, estuary is disappearing and amongst the young of all classes a weird hybrid between a traditional cockney, west indian and punjabi is becoming quite prevalent.

I saw some cute school-kids interviewed on London tonight the other day, mummy's adorable little timmy speaking in an accent that could quite conceivably be saying "is it cos I is black?"

Dreaming - "Louisa - ho hum darling, your missing the nail's head by a mile as usual!"...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

"Bigotted ideas about class are so enlightening.".............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................

"The middle calsses cannot be both obscure and still be taking over the world".............zzzzzzzzzzzzz............................

Mr Louisa - Wake up dear it's just a dream

Louisa - *mild anxiousness* oh god *eyes open* am I still in ED?

Mr Louisa - Yes dear, of course you are, you were having a bad dream thats all. Now lets get up and get ready to go shopping. We need some meat from William Rose, some organic veg from north cross rd, and then we can go and have a nice continental lager at inside 72. What do you say?

Louisa - Can you slap me... just the once.. I need to make sure these pills are working..

Louisa, what class are you out of interest?

Going waaaaaay back to Ratty's post, I'm not having a go at the Canning because I like it, but how you can say it's more of a pub than the EDT, CPT, or Palmerston is beyong me. The Pheonix is just sh!t.

Oh and the Silver Buckle, not that's a place for fighting! Been there twice, and seen 2 massive fights... Did enjoy the karaoke though >:D<

For the record, I don't like the Palmerston at all, and not a massive EDT fan, but would still say both are more pubby than the Canning.

I consider myself to come from a traditional working class background - economically I am probably middle-class nowadays, in social terms I probably still adhere to a working class lifestyle.. Though it varies.. I am not going to be a hypocrite here, I am quite happy drinking in all sorts of pubs. But I know which ones I like best, and they are usually traditional interior, mixed drinking crowd, and sometimes a piano or some sort of music in the background.

Sorry to stir up a hornets nest. No accent is a phrase me and my wife use to describe the increasing numbers of people around that seem to think that because they talk loudly and don't drop their aitches and tees then they have carte blanche to coupld this with extremely bad manners. I suppose it's symptomatic of a peculiar type of arraogance. A football analogy would be new breed chelsea fans.

We say no accent because it is easier to say.

It's just a matter of taste anyway. I feel a little too old to stand in an over hot bar paying over ?5 for a glass of wine (for the wife not me) and call it enjoyment. I'll leave that to you youngsters.

One of my neighbours is a new age hippy type family, they calim to be Welsh, and yet when they speak they sound American. I have pointed this out to them a few times and they never fully explain the bizarre accent. It does bug me though when they speak.

• 1 month later...
Since when has Green & Blue been a pub? Are you mad? And Black Cherry, which I'm a big fan of is a bar, not a pub. Sun & Doves (almost ED)??? it's in the heart of Camberwell for God's sake. Now the CPT, that's a proper pub. Sorry if I'm sounding a touch pedantic but someone's got to put you straight.

pub

? noun 1 an establishment for the sale and consumption of beer and other drinks.

? ORIGIN abbreviation of PUBLIC HOUSE.

bar

? noun 2 a counter, room, or place where alcoholic drinks or refreshments are served

So what really is the difference???

So what's the Bishop? I would say bar but most would say pub. I agree there is a quite a difference but I think we need a full definition!

Pub - somewhere where you can get a seat, no one is under 30, ratty can be found in corner bemoaning the fact he has stopped smoking

Bar - standing room only, drop dead gorgeous bar staff, no ratty