New delicatessen in Nunhead

I'm so thrilled - they opened at the weekend, and they're on the corner of Sturdy Square and Gordon Road. Run by a really lovely fellow with his wife and small child, he says it's just a corner shop, but he makes his own pies and dips (dunno about the cakes but they look good), got a great little selection of hams and cheeses and good tinned stuff and nice salad leaves (which i'm eating right now, along with a spinach pie, the name of which i've forgotten). I think it's a great shop.

And he's open till 7 so I don't have to nip into Tescos always for bits and pieces for the tea.

Please go along and have a look and give this great little new business your support...

• 1 month later...

This Deli is brilliant news for food lovers and Nunhead in general. Realistic prices and a genuine understanding of food means you can not go wrong. Maybe this will finally kickstart some other action in Nunhead. I give it 18 months before some of the vacant shops on the lane begin to fill up with considered business proposals such as this one.

If you understand food then visit and you will know why this place is just bloody brilliant..........see you all on sunday picking fresh bread, veg and wine!

whats the name of the deli?

also, does anyone have any other top tips for nunhead....ive only managed to try Page 2 for a bevvie so far...and that was a year or so ago now - and have a feeling that their could be some more hidden gems in nunhead - so any top tips would be greatly appreciated!

sorry if this question has been repeated elsewhere - im a bit of a forum virgin....and this is my offical first posting...so havent really had a good nose around it all yet.

thanks

thanks for he top tips - i jogged past The Restaurant the other night and it does look like its worth a try.

cheers for the link to nunhead arts blog as well - im not around on the night of the film night tho...which is such a shame as i love Little Miss Sunshine - highly recommend that if anyone is around that night though.

We went on Saturday. He was a bit surprised that people living in ED came all the way- but I pointed out it's not exactly a million miles. Best thing for us (apart from all the cakes that he makes- incl birthdays) is that he sells Movenpick Ice Cream! Now correct me if I am wrong but the nearest place to stock this is probably in Victoria.

Ultraconsultancy

You need to chat up the old Turkish guy who runs the main plumbing shop. He seems to own about 50% of the shops in the main drag. I was looking to open one up and he was quite amenable. I decided not to proceed cos I wasn't sure that turnover would be enough to keep me in the style to which I wish I was accustomed.

Frankly I don't know how any shop survives - I reckoned you would have to do about 400% mark up and I don't think that's sustainable in Nunhead.

• 2 weeks later...
Let's hope the Frog on the Green Deli wont have to mark up their prices 400% to survive in Nunhead! Like so many others I am delighted to have this shop up my street - it's a lovely shop - a great mix of corner shop and delicatessen, with a real down-to-earth approach and no East Dulwich Deli snobbery. The food is great - everything I have tried has been excellent, the quiches, pork pies and baked cheese cake, the ham, the gorgeous creamy greek yoghurt, the spanish peaches! We've decided to make a point of coming here to get what we need as often as we can, because we love the place and want it to be a success! If people do that the place will survive the inevitable arrival of Tesco metros..(Queen's Road Peckham is getting one soon I hear).

I'm just speaking from my experience. It's not my kind of deli that's all, and I don't have that kind of money basically, and it's not because it's in East Dulwich!! I like East Dulwich generally.. I love Green and Blue's, the Thai Corner Cafe, and SMB foods for example... these are places I support too!

I love Nunhead, and try and get all stuff from there rather than the supermarkets. Wendy and Sonia in AG FLowers are lovely people, Sopers next door for the fish of course (and they'll tell you how to cook it), and let's not forget Ayres and the butchers. Then you can buy everything from weighing scales and vases and prescriptions and everything else from Kristals, and you've not crossed the road yet. I was sad that the new deli did not open in Evelina Road but apparently there were problems with trying to get the lease on the old haberdashers shop. I hope they don't suffer for not being on the main through road. Page Two incidentally is being taken over by a new couple and becomes O'Brians in a month. And I highly recommend The Restaurant. If you're in a hurry you'll be frustrated, because they cook the food in real time!