crulty to animals

kurtis

Agreed. I can not believe the rules in this country to protect people and animals, but if you say you're doing something and you're religious, you can get away with stupidity and cruelty, as highlighted by DJKQ above.

But hey, smart fellas who can wear turbans instead of motorcycle helmets. If you land on a soft pillow thing (turban) you may survive better than if you're head's in a helmet as the hardeness is on the outside, which is the wrong way round.

But, back to topic, I can not believe how halal is allowed to be sold. It IS cruel and yet we pander to this religious nonsense in case we upset people. Pahhhh.

Catch a Condor by simply building a wooden stockade 1 metre high and 50 metres in diametre, and placing a dead goat in the centre. The bird will land inside the stockade to feed on the goat but will then be unable to get out. This is because Condors require a run-up of at least 100 metres before they can gain the momentum necessary for take off.

ps

This is the most humane way to catch Condors.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Halal ia cruel to animals. We have strict rules

> about how animals are slaughtered to make the

> killing as humane as possible yet pamper to

> religious nonsense for other animals.

I am totally confused now JQKD

Are you implying that we now take the animals religion into account when we slaughter it ?

Halal Chickens

Hindu Cows

Coy Carp

Church of England Steak and Kidney pies

and my favourite

Pigs that are Jewish (that must get confusing for them - do they put their Koppel's on before or after they visit the abbatiour ?)

It sounds more like a script from Monty and his flying python (or similar)

Have I missed something? By strict rules, do you mean the conditions in which most battery-farmed chickens are held and slaughtered for example?

I'm not making any claims on behalf of kosher or halal slaughtering, and certainly not on the grounds of religious beliefs do I think inhumane practice should be excused, but this country has a long way to go before it can claim humane slaughter across the board

By slaughter I mean just that. We have rules designed to make it supposedly quick and painless (which are a far cry from cutting an animals throat and leaving it to hang and bleed to death). As the for the way we farm and keep some animals that's a whole different matter and one I agree is often anything but humane.

I think official tolerance of ritual Kosher and Halal slaughter may be a matter of economic prudence (as much as anything else - such as anti-discriminatory) because a significant number of jobs depend on those markets. Britain now exports a fair volume of ritually slaughtered meat and poultry ? mainly Halal ? to Europe and the Middle East.

If ritual slaughter were banned that entire industry sector would collapse. In which case, practicing Jews and Muslims would be more likely to import their requirements rather than become vegetarians.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> we could ban the import of halal, kosher etc

Given the global news storm caused by a grumpy old yenta and a plain bagel - we'd never hear the end of that one!