Recommendations from 1st time posters

Narnia

I noticed a slight variant last week: two posters each starting with an initial innoccuous and symathetic follow-up post -- "Oh, I sympathise, the same thing happened to me once" kind of thing" -- which might go to establish them as good guys and belongers, followed a few days later by a more self-serving OP in their own thread. One now seems to have been disappeared. The other's involved in a more ambiguous scheme, but there's enough information about for buyers to beware.

I tend to cross reference a person who makes an interesting recommendation. But a lot of people do sign up to give a recommendation after lurking around for a recommendation themselves as they may want to chip in with a good word about some work done by a tradesman.

My first two posts were recommendations actually, one of which was for the Vale. So each has to be judged on it's merits.

Well I first started using this forum purely to get some recommendations on electricians, roofers - before I fully graduated to Football Focus :) They'd always ask how I got their contact details. Some of those I used would ask me to put a recommendation on the EDF.

So using myself as an example that is why I think others have perhaps followed that same pattern. But I do agree that as the EDF becomes more widespread there will be more dubious recommendations dreamed up by local barrow boys turned incompetent electricians and whatnot.

Matthew, there's a world of difference in style between your first two posts and the ones that look more like bad 'advertising features' of the sort that used to (? still do) appear in papers. If yours weren't genuine, you have skills that would be of value to a conman or MI5 operative.

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> I'm interested to know how you know that Matthew.

> I'm not saying you're not right, just curious.

Hahaha are you lacking commonsense these days now too?

If you were a lurker (yes I know it's hard to imagine) and you just happened to see a thread completeley slating a company you thought was actually ok might you not be tempting to cross over in assigning yourself a name and join in the posting on here?

And, of course there's the lurker who may have used someone who was recommend on here and wishes to give their feed back blah blah blah blah blah.

Not everyone (now this surely is REALLY hard to believe) are trolls :)

Karter - are those voices bothering you again? oh dear!

KK, I think Narnia's talking about people starting a thread to recommend a business as their first post.

It's such a difficult area, because it does look suspicious and often turns out to be bogus, but I hate the idea of putting off a genuine poster who's just testing out using the forum for the first time.

I think my first post was defending some of the chain businesses in East Dulwich in the middle of a slightly heated debate, and I was terrified I was about to be steamrollered by a regular poster.

• 4 weeks later...