Great Gigs

Keef

Yeah! The second half of the 80s and most of the 90s were awful for Bowie. Tin Machine...urgh! I also lost interest after the Let's Dance album but obviously love all his 70s stuff. Also saw him on that god awful Glass Spider Tour in '87, talk about over the top. Other top gigs though were Arthur Lee & Love at the Royal Festival Hall a few years ago when he did the whole of the Forever Changes album with a full orchestra and the MC5 at the same venue where I got to meet some of band at the backstage party afterwards.

I'm still going to see James Blunt tomorrow night at Koko - he does a great Pixies cover BTW.

The Bowie gig at Hammersmith was during a tube strike - it took ages to get there and back from ED. He played for hours and hours. At the time he hadn't toured for years so everything that night was very fresh for him. He seemed to enjoy himself as much/more than the audience. I remember thinking at the time that he would tour pretty soon - and he did.

That setlist in full: When I heard Bewley Brothers live I thought I had died and gone to heaven

(yes I know this is turning into a mini Bowie-fest but I've waited long enough darn it)

1. Life On Mars ?

2. Ashes To Ashes

3. Look Back In Anger

4. Survive

5. Breaking Glass

6. Cactus

7. China Girl

8. Slip Away

9. Absolute Beginners

10. Alabama Song

11. Speed Of Life

12. Be My Wife

13. Fame

14. I'm Afraid Of Americans

15. 5:15 The Angels Have Gone

16. I've Been Waiting For You

17. Afraid

18. Fashion

19. Rebel Rebel

20. "Heroes"

21. Heathen (The Rays)

22. Sunday

23. I Would Be Your Slave

24. Moonage Daydream

25. Changes

26. Starman

27. A New Career In A New Town

28. Everyone Says 'Hi'

29. Bewlay Brothers

30. Sound And Vision

31. Hallo Spaceboy

32. Let's Dance

33. Ziggy Stardust

I use Stargreen and See tickets for gigs. Nearly always get what I'm after - it's a shame the same can't be said for tickets to Anfield....

Has anyone on here ever heard of or seen Rodrigo y Gabriela? They're Mexican guitar players and their live gigs are fantastic. Saw them at Scala and the Jazz Cafe last year. Highly recommended!

Sean, you're a Bowie freak. Marvellous! My mate who I played in a band with years ago used to own the Dan Armstrong guitar with a sliding pick-up that Bowie recorded Rebel Rebel on (great riff). It was originally Mick Ronson's but he sold it/gave it to Mark Pritchard who played on some recordings for the Ziggy Stardust album and also played on Ronson's Slaughter On Tenth Avenue Tour back in '74 as second guitarist and he also played in a band with may mate's brother who now owns it. Heavy bastard it was too. Trivia, don't you just love it.:))

Anyway, more gigs - Another great one was The Super Furry Animals with Grandaddy in support at the Shepherds Bush Empire. about six or seven years ago. Both bands were brilliant and the Furries played in quadrophonic. Top night.(tu)

SFA & Grandaddy? sweet bill

Is anyone else disappointed when a favourite band is a support act - not because "they deserve to headline" - it's just the sound is never good, most of the crowd wish they weren't there, the set is truncated... etc

Cheers for the back-story Jah - a freak like me is always open for more stories!

I know that the WHITE STRIPES have a huge and loyal fan base but I just don't get them.

Notwithstanding this I went to a WS gig earlier this year and it was my BEST EVER gig of a band that I don?t actually like.

It was at the Rivolli Ballroom in Lewisham a few months ago. I?m pasting a link to the venue website just so you can see how fabulous it is. http://www.jiveparty.com/

The front door security was a 9 year old girl checking IDs and the band security was an old geezer on crutches. The bar was run by some very nice WI(ish) ladies. It was just such a hoot; very surreal; all very civilized too.

My friend and I got very tipsy. I think I may even have moshed (I'm over 40 - very undignified).

Fabulous, I know that place Giggirl. It's in Brockley but then I guess it is in the borough of Lewisham. Nothing wrong with moshing at 40. I'm 49 and still don't give a f**k. It's also often used for video shoots. I think Oasis did one there last year or the year before. Talking of whom...'95 at Earls Court, shitty venue but got completely arsed on the backstage hospitality, met Robbie Williams that night too who was hanging with the band before they fell out with him, who came over and bummed a cigarette off me and we got to talking...blah blah blah!

This is how bored I am today, I've just flicked through past diaries 2003 - 06 to see what gigs I've been to. There are definitely a fair few that aren't there, but these are the ones that I found.

25/03/03 Avril Lavigne - Brixton. I make no apologies, she can sing and it was fun. Very strange mix of crowd though (I was 24).

10/11/03 Evanescence - Brixton. Seem to get mixed reactions about this lot, but I really liked them, and Amy Lee's voice is bloody great. This was a fab gig, really raw, dirty and energetic.

24/02/04 Counting Crows - Hammersmith Apollo. Mentioned this earlier. Band were good, venue crap especially when sat upstairs!

30/03/04 Placebo - Brixton. Not a huge fan, went with a mate, and went and waited for him in the bar about 2 thirds in to their set. Think I was ill that night though, and they did play a couple of good tunes and have a great light show.

24/05/04 Evanescence - Wembley Arena. Nowhere near as good as the Brixton gig. Band were good, but not as raw, and Wembley is a sh!t venue!!!

18/06/04 Nickleback - Hammersmith Apollo. Spinal Tap baby!

30/11/04 Snow Patrol - Brixton. Didn't know any of their songs, had heard a couple on the radio and thought they were boring, but went anyway. Came out thinking I'd just seen an amazing performance with a very lively energetic band, and wanted to learn the words for Run so I wouldn't be the only one not singing along if I saw them again!

23/01/05 Velvet Revolver - Guns n' roses meets Stone Temple Pilots = ROCK!!! Slashn& Duff = Gods! >:D< Good old loud guitar music.

19/02/05 The Killers - Brixton. This was an afternoon gig, and the band were obviously saving themselves for the evening. They didn't play badly, but there was no life. Very very disapointing, as I loved Hot Fuss, and it was definitely my album of the moment.

21/04/05 Alanis Morissette - Brixton. Had been meaning to see her for years, and she was great. Stuck to the first album mostly, and was cool singing along with the angry women ;-)

22/07/06 Lenny Kravitz - Brixton. Didn't watch much as friend and I had guest tickets and just got very very drunk! :)-D What I did see was cool.

30/03/06 The Levellers - Dorking somewhere. Was like watching a gig in a school hall with bad acoustics.

05/05/06 Snow Patrol - The Forum. Another good gig from them, and great little venue.

17/05/06 Hard-Fi - Brixton. As discussed earlier, singers voice was gone, it was sh!t.

Others to mention are obviously the pogues, Matchbox20 with an aussie mate was a laugh (although again at the rubbish Wembley).

One gig that never was was 17/10/05 had tickets for Garbage, and it was cancelled. Shame, as I imagine them doing a good show.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> OK. I see where you guys are coming from about the

> Stripes but you gotta admit he's a blinding guitar

> player. Crap drummer though but redeems herself by

> having a lovely chest.

I'll go along with all that ;-)

off to Jesus and Mary Chain this friday at Brixton for some retro goth rockin beats. just looking for my black eye liner.

We also love the Arcade fire round here and will be attending Ally Pally. we can all get a cab home together eh?

Alan Dale.. I love maximo Park but have yet to see them but i think they are playing this autumn. Are they really great live? should I do everything I can to get tix?

and what does qualo mean?

Whitehouse - Union Tavern, Camberwell 1989/90 - extreme power electronics with someone hurling a huge flight case into the audience.

The Jam - Crawley Leisure Centre in about 1980

The Smiths - Lyceum in 1983

New Order - ULU in 1983 ish

Wendy Flower [half of Wendy and Bonnie] playing the Lost Ladies of Folk gig at the South Bank 2007

Re Squeeze: Stephen Large is playing keyboards. He is a local lad (well, Deptford, I believe) and is a first rate replacement. He also has his own band: The Lord Large Experiment, who have an upcoming show at the Jazz Caff on (I think) 21/ix. Also, the Blockheads are doing another of their famous Christmas shows, this time at Shep Bush Empire on 23/xii. Vocal supplied by Mr Phill Jupitus (amongst others I would think). Their Christmas show at the 100 Club last year is in my top 5 best ever gigs. Martin Freeman occasionally does vocals too. (Every bit as good as the Pogues for a spot of pre-Xmas cheer.)