Party noise Friday night/Sunday morning

lemonellen

pommie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> you can ring environmental health and they can

> come out to check the noise level/time etc

xxxxxx

And then, as happened to me recently, when I got bloody annoyed with hearing Queen and Radio GaGa for about the zillionth time through my closed windows from a house halfway down the street, when I was sitting quietly in my living room trying to read the paper,I went and rang the relevant doorbell and because the music was blaring out so loudly all down the street they couldn't hear the doorbell.

So I phoned Southwark Noise Control, who eventually turned up (nearly an hour later), came into my house and said it wasn't loud enough to cause a nuisance. Even though I could hear every bloody word. Through a closed window.

So I said what about all the people living nearer, and they said tough, irrelevant, those people would have to make a complaint themselves.

So I said but if you go into the street you will find that you can hear this noise from one end of the street to the other, as you must have heard when you got out of your car, and they said tough, irrelevant, we have to hear it from inside the house of the person who has complained. End of.

Edited to say: This was on a weekday evening. I have no problem with one-off parties on weekend nights.

Duchess,

I have a goodly supply of these and it would be a pleasure to insert them into each of of your lobes.

I remain your obedient servant,

Bellerophon

Sue Wrote:

> pommie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > you can ring environmental health and they can

> > come out to check the noise level/time etc

>

> xxxxxx

>

> And then, as happened to me recently, when I got

> bloody annoyed with hearing Queen and Radio GaGa

> for about the zillionth time through my closed

> windows from a house halfway down the street, when

> I was sitting quietly in my living room trying to

> read the paper,I went and rang the relevant

> doorbell and because the music was blaring out so

> loudly all down the street they couldn't hear the

> doorbell.

>

> So I phoned Southwark Noise Control, who

> eventually turned up (nearly an hour later), came

> into my house and said it wasn't loud enough to

> cause a nuisance. Even though I could hear every

> bloody word. Through a closed window.

>

> So I said what about all the people living nearer,

> and they said tough, irrelevant, those people

> would have to make a complaint themselves.

>

> So I said but if you go into the street you will

> find that you can hear this noise from one end of

> the street to the other, as you must have heard

> when you got out of your car, and they said tough,

> irrelevant, we have to hear it from inside the

> house of the person who has complained. End of.

Bellerophon Wrote:

> Duchess,

>

> I have a goodly supply of these and it would be a

> pleasure to insert them into each of of your

> lobes.

>

xxxxxxxx

Good idea, but that's not really the point, is it?

This wasn't a party, it wasn't at the weekend, they had their windows wide open and it was just anti-social.

It was so loud they couldn't even hear their own doorbell :)

I live on Underhill and was really happy to hear people enjoying life and having fun that weekend. If I can't sleep I wear earplugs, a brilliant invention for 'tolerating' other human beings.

Probably people who are too stressed from not enough joy and too much regime in life can't sleep without silent conditions. I hope you remedy this! 'Dancing Queen' is nicer than screeching fornicating foxes anyday.

If party noise happens enough to be offensive, why not speak to the offenders directly? You'll probably sleep better after this. Good Luck, everyone, in living in the world together.

Having been on both sides of this noisy fence I'm all for live and let live, so long as it's not every week. One person's knees up is another's deeply upsetting situation and so it has always been. However, dancing queen at 2.30am would cause me to start chopping heads off. Ultimate noise abatement.

Honestly it really concerns me that people can get so worried about people having fun, my neighbours who live in the flat below were having a rocking party below us the other weekend it was making a lot of noise so me and my flatmate, went down introduced ourselves and joined in.

They were very welcoming and we had a great night. Let people have fun the winter is approaching fast and we'll all need to keep our spirits high.

benwiggles Wrote:

> Honestly it really concerns me that people can get

> so worried about people having fun, my neighbours

> who live in the flat below were having a rocking

> party below us the other weekend it was making a

> lot of noise so me and my flatmate, went down

> introduced ourselves and joined in.

>

and what about if you're someone on your own who's a little intimidated, or elderly, or has a young family, or works shifts? We'd all like to be in a position to 'live and let live' but sometimes personal circumstances mean we can't or don't want to join in someone elses 'fun'. A little consideration for others in their own homes goes a long way......

Some years ago a neighbour dropped a note through my door that

a)Apologised that there might be noise on the following Saturday due a party

b)Invited me to come along (We'd never met)

c)Gave me their phone number 'in case we forget ourselves'

A nice note meant that I was quite happy to tolerate what was obviously a one off event and I didn't reach for the phone when there was still some noise at 2am.

Ohhh... 'those elderly'.. yes, it must be time to patronise the elderly - yet again. It's been all of a few weeks since 'the elderly' were deemed incapable of dealing with junk mail.

'The elderly' I know, 80+, love a good party on a special occasion.

I've come to the conclusion that - not exceptionally but in the main - the people who don't like a party at 80 probably didn't like one at 40 either. Age has nothing to do with it.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Ohhh... 'those elderly'.. yes, it must be time to

> patronise the elderly - yet again. It's been all

> of a few weeks since 'the elderly' were deemed

> incapable of dealing with junk mail.

>

> 'The elderly' I know, 80+, love a good party on a

> special occasion.

>

> I've come to the conclusion that - not

> exceptionally but in the main - the people who

> don't like a party at 80 probably didn't like one

> at 40 either. Age has nothing to do with it.

What a load of rubbish - there was nothing patronising about my post - I was simply pointing out that not everyone would feel able or want to nip downstairs and join the party (since this was a presented as a way of coping with the noise) - if my post implied otherwise, I'm sorry - but I don't think it did. Peterstorm1985's post hit the nail on the head - showing a little concern and consideration in advance of the event goes an awful long way.

*Bob* Wrote:

> It did imply otherwise, but I wouldn't worry about

> it.

>

> You're hardly alone in lumping 'the elderly'

> together as one homogenised bunch without giving

> it too much thought.

But you don't worry about me lumping 'people with small families' or 'shift workers' together in their respective homogenised groupings.......

"Probably people who are too stressed from not enough joy and too much regime in life can't sleep without silent conditions."

Speaking as someone who has been ill for the past two years, occasionally completely housebound, I dread loud noise because my nervous system just can't handle it anymore - it tips me into flight or fight which is unfortunate as my body simply can't handle the physical stress of the adrenaline etc and it makes me quite ill. I have worn ear plugs every night since becoming unwell not because I'm lacking in joy and suffer too much regime, though being housebound does have its limitations, but because my nervous system is on overdrive - I do apologise for being so inconsiderate.

kristymac1 Wrote:

> But you don't worry about me lumping 'people with

> small families' or 'shift workers' together in

> their respective homogenised groupings.......

No, I don't. That's because families with young children and shift workers find that their 'hours' ie when they must function and when they must sleep, are often decided on account of having young children and being shift workers.

'The elderly' are not. They can be tired, or active. Miserable as sin or full of life. In the instance of this thread, whether or not they object to party noise is not decided simply on account of them being 'the elderly'.

*Bob* Wrote:

> kristymac1 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > But you don't worry about me lumping 'people

> with

> > small families' or 'shift workers' together in

> > their respective homogenised groupings.......

>

> No, I don't. That's because families with young

> children and shift workers find that their 'hours'

> ie when they must function and when they must

> sleep, are often decided on account of having

> young children and being shift workers.

>

> 'The elderly' are not. They can be tired, or

> active. Miserable as sin or full of life. In the

> instance of this thread, whether or not they

> object to party noise is not decided simply on

> account of them being 'the elderly'.

ok, I guess, but as I explained earlier my intention was not to patronise them by assuming they were 'all the same'.... However, based on personal experience the people I know who would happily be referred to as elderly (parents, elderly neighbours),active and full of life they may be (and they are), they also feel more vulnerable when face with situations similar to that described by the OP.