Schools - Rosemead / Oakfield

loml

Hi

My children go to Oakfield so I'm a little biased :o) They have been going since nursery (they are now 4 and 6) and they LOVE IT. Nursery is very caring, nurturing and understanding. When you go to the school, you'll see an abundance of kids' artwork all over the walls and happy, well mannered children. This is obviously a good sign!!!

Only until you visit both schools will you get that gut feeling - good luck!

Kim

Hi

My children aren't at Oakfield but we did seriously consider it and from memory, some go to the well known Dulwich schools, Alleyns etc but quite a lot go to St Dunstans (or at least they did in the years we were looking at). I think this information may well be available on the website

• 1 month later...
My friend's son goes to Rosemead and his nativity play script was 'cause and "oi, get off my tinsel". Nice! Why not teach them proper English and teach them not to talk to people in such a way! Can't say he is polite and no wonder if that's what he is being taught. My children go to a good old state school - mix with all walks of life and learn far more social skills because of it. If you are paying for education it should be very academic as well as teaching them excellent manners. Wouldn't spend money on sending my child there.

Interesting perspective p1f0s - a few of my friends share your views about social skills at a state school. This comment really does make me laugh as private schools are not only full of academics and discipline - the children have wonderful social skills and fun, there are a great mixture of races, it's very family orientated with lots of parents getting involved in the running of the school and of course, they do receive a wonderful education with lots of one-on-one assistance and support. The decision to send my child there was because his speech was delayed and I didn't want him to get overlooked in our local school, he needed a lot of support which he got at Oakfield and still does. However, my friend's child is thriving at their local state school - I would never knock it and, if I were to be in a position where I couldn't afford to send my kids private, I would happily send them to our local school. I consider myself lucky to have the option. Oh, and my children have impeccable manners but this is due to how we raise them! Just like our next door neighbours who go to the local state school - very well mannered young children :D

Our nativity play does not have such a title as "oi, get off my tinsel" but it did make me laugh because why not! It's a play and something fun!

Haven't got a child at either but looked around both and got definite feeling rosemead good for girls but not for boisterous boys, which my son most definitely is - lots of stairs and small rooms, which inevitable means not much space for letting off steam. oakfield nursery - new head told us their USP was that they actively teach their toddlers, which put me right off because I want my children to bumble around and play for as long as possible before formal schooling. But each to their own. Hope this helps you in your decision making, it seems there are many happy parents from both schools.

• 2 months later...

although you have probably made your decisions by now i felt compelled to respond to one of the comments made above.

i have children at rosemead and i have to say that the comment on rosemead children having bad manners is quite unusual. rosemead are really quite strict and totally intolerant of bad manners, poor behaviour, waiting turns to talk etc. in fact i might even say they don't let children be children in this regard and are a little too prim and proper. from when they start at 3/4 yrs old in nursery there is a very, very high expectation without exception.

it does fall short on facilities/size of classroom (they are small nursery-yr1) but they never fail to impress upon the children the importance of politeness, respecting each other and property, table manners etc. my youngest was holding doors open for us and friends at 3yrs old...i am quite a strict mum too..if rosemead had a shortfall it certainly wouldn't be in the manners department.

education-wise they have been great too..my child was reading at 3yrs..partly down to their methods and our encouragement..but again can't fault that. they stream kids according to ability straight away and really push them along.

i would say it's not as nurturing as they lead you to believe and not the best school for boys...boisterousness is not tolerated AT ALL...which is good but not realistic when it comes to boys.

good luck in your decision making if you have not already decided!

We chose Rosemead because we met some extremely polite children who went there. What Rosemead does is works with the strengths of your children and not against them. They are extremely good at helping you make the right choices for your children both at prep and beyond.

I have both a girl and a boy at the school who are both extremely active and love Rosemead, and participate in a number of before and after school activities arranged at school to let off steam. Rosemead has a strong emphasis on providing dance (ballet, modern, dance and drama) as well as the more traditional sports of football, netball and swimming.

Small class rooms have the advantage that there are less distractions to the task in hand, alot of children feel more secure in a smaller environment.

New info - Oakfield has a new head in the shape of Jane Stevens. (I know of her from friends with children at her previous school, Putney High.) Their view was that they were sorry to see her go, she was well regarded by the parents at PHS, is very committed and will do well for the new place. To be honest, I would not previously have considered Oakfield but will now be keeping an eye on its progress and would not be surprised to see the pupils doing extremely well under her. JAGS could do with some competition round here anyway...