New French Restaurant On North Cross Road

Zak

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make with your final sentence,

In the US the minimum wage for waiting staff is set much below that for ordinary workers, meaning that service charges (tips) are an absolute necessity for these staff - the 'going rate' is seen as 20% (certainly in New York). This allows outlets to keep the 'headline' prices low - but the real price of meals is 20% higher - tabs actually include in them what tips at different levels would be (15%, 20%, 25% are the levels often chosen). Restaurants don't add a service charge, as such, but they make it very clear what is expected. At least, in the UK, the minimum wage is set regardless of industry.

titch juicy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm still trying to work out why VAT was brought

> up in the first place.

It was just a note as to why a Menu may not be being shown in the window and pricing appearing as expensive.

It was a little aside.. a throw away comment..

But the EDF intregators got hold of it and turned it into an European Inquisition.

Minimum wage.. Workers rights.. International Human rights... Unscrupulous Landlords .. Rent Hikes..

DulwichFox

titch juicy Wrote:

> I'm still trying to work out why VAT was brought

> up in the first place.

Because Foxy likes to spout nonsense about an industry he thinks he understands and really doesn't, and I can't stop myself pointing out when he's talking rubbish, because it really annoys me when people make out like we're all trying to rip customers off and get filthy rich.

It is absolutely and completely NOT permissible to show a VAT exclusive price in a retail environment - be that in a restaurant or in a shop - for end consumers. No tax will be added to the price when you pay. This is a legal requirement. Your bill may separate out a VAT charge (and show at the bottom of your receipt how much of your meal/purchase was comprised of a VAT charge) but it may not display one price in the shop and add on an additional amount at the till.

ETA - my reference, The Price Marking Order 2004, section 5.

JoeLeg Wrote:

> titch juicy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'm still trying to work out why VAT was

> brought

> > up in the first place.

>

>

> Because Foxy likes to spout nonsense about an

> industry he thinks he understands and really

> doesn't, and I can't stop myself pointing out when

> he's talking rubbish, because it really annoys me

> when people make out like we're all trying to rip

> customers off and get filthy rich.

What Utter Nonsence.. I don't give a Hoot what people charge for their services.

My only concern is there are places left that I can still aford to eat in.. and yes, I need to look at a menu

in the window before entering. Not the 'If you need to ask the price, then you probably cannot afford it atttitude'

From your comments here and previous comments, you appear to be in the catering / restaurant business.

Perhaps you could eludidate..

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> JoeLeg Wrote:

> -----

> > titch juicy Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > I'm still trying to work out why VAT was

> > brought

> > > up in the first place.

> >

> >

> > Because Foxy likes to spout nonsense about an

> > industry he thinks he understands and really

> > doesn't, and I can't stop myself pointing out

> when

> > he's talking rubbish, because it really annoys

> me

> > when people make out like we're all trying to

> rip

> > customers off and get filthy rich.

>

> What Utter Nonsence.. I don't give a Hoot what

> people charge for their services.

You have previous made comments to the effect that you believe restaurant owners make a lot of profit personally. I know because I called you out on it then. You have previous for pontificating on the food industry and getting called out on it, like the time you accused the hog roast stall on the market of being unsanitary, made a bunch of related comments, and someone came on here and dismantles your argument in detail.

> My only concern is there are places left that I

> can still aford to eat in.. and yes, I need to

> look at a menu

> in the window before entering. Not the 'If you

> need to ask the price, then you probably cannot

> afford it atttitude'

>

Then maybe recognise that nowhere will be subsequently adding VAT to your bill, and as been pointed out cannot legally do so. This is an example of how you were categorically wrong about something.

And as I say, enjoy those restaurants while you can.

> From your comments here and previous comments, you

> appear to be in the catering / restaurant

> business.

> Perhaps you could eludidate..

>

Well, I've been a professional chef since the 1990's, spending the whole time in London, and my CV has the word Michelin in it but I've never changed a tyre in my life. So yes, I know quite a lot about the gritty details of the industry and get very annoyed when others act like we make huge amounts of money or purposefully rip people off. And a number of your posts over the years have done just that.

> DulwichFox

DovertheRoad Wrote:

> Like, give them a chance dude. They will.be

> focusing on food, logistics and everything else

> -;not every small business can do it all when

> opening.

Well said Dover, let them open go through the first few weeks of teething that any new business experiences before providing the usual EDF warmth and compassion by putting them down.

The images they posted on Instagram were set up and taken on Monday afternoon ( walked past as they were doing it) and they may well not have posted on Twitter or other social media due to inexperience of using these mediums, the website designer not giving them the password or too busy on focussing on getting themselves up and running smoothly (many different reasons could have caused it)

I personally wish them all the best and look forward to a local French bistro in the area as well as a formal French restaurant just around the corner and hopefully the lack of menu is simply down to it being a seasonal daily menu based on what is available at the market that day.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Foxy mate I think you need to 'fess-up that you

> weren't qualified (on THIS occasion) to speak with

> such authority ?!?!

> Hopefully Millwall won to make-up for the loss of

> face !!!

What ? Not qualified for what. ? What authority. ?? I simply cut and pasted an article on requirements

on where and where not prices and any add on needed to be clearly shown.

Wasn't slaging off any business, especially in this case Bonne Bouffe who seem to have done a great job

renovating the place. I sincerely hope they do well.

Apart from eating at the previous Golden Tandoori back in the 80's I my self also painted the place inside and out

tiled the toilets and decorated an upstairs bedroom. All for about ?20.00.

Anyway Millwall beat Port Vale 2-0 but it was a shite game .. and very poor turn out..

Foxy

Jeremy Wrote:

> BB have a menu on their Instagram page.. mains

> around the ?15 mark. Side veg ?3. So priced

> slightly cheaper than Franklins, Palmerston, etc.

Do you have a link, Jeremy?

Sincerely hope this new restaurant does well. Apart from the horrid red exterior, which is a bit "cafe rouge", the menu seems decent. Let's hope it's better than the other "French" offerings we have locally, overpriced and average at best. Ever since Le Moulin closed, I've been longing for a decent continental eatery.

Louisa.