weddings regrets?

Sally81

To be honest, I just meant the party bit. Not sure about renewing vows. Has anyone done it, and did it feel worthwhile? I'd be really interested to know.

I haven't been married all that long, but the saying and hearing our vows was so wonderful (that strange, intense public/private declaration) that I don't think I'd want to risk trying to re-create. I do have to remind my other half about 'all that I have I share with you' every now and then when he gets grumpy 'cos I've nicked his jacket.

Mr PR and I were together for 18 years and I discovered that if one of us died the other one would not be entitled to their pension rights, so I thought that's a tad unfair. So we got married. It meant little as far as our relationship went and was just a sort of political thing really, but we decided to make something of it.

We had already booked Charlton House Park or whatever it is called in Somerset for a splashy weekend away and so decided to use that as our honeymoon.

We wrote to seven of our closest friends and told them to meet us at the Petrol Station on peckham Road with no cameras and no dressing up. Five turned up, two on bikes. We were dressed in leathers as we were going straight to Somerset after.

We met them at the petrol station and they had no idea what was happening -

(I've done this sort of thing before - arranged something fun like all of them going up Tower 42 in the evening for a drink, or theatre or something - so they knew to expect something fun) -

but then I simply walked them across the road to the registry office.

The two who were unable to make it still didn't know till afew months later!

Great day.

I agree with others above. Do what you want and I love the one where your friend takes you aside and says, "This is your day, enjoy it".

Mr PR has been a professional photographer for years and has taken many wedding photos and could write a book about the nightmares involved! We have no wedding photos. Just the memories!

Just to echo what others have said, I think it's really important to make sure it ends up being "your" wedding. We kept ours small (30 people) but glam, and described it a "lunch party with a wedding attached" (4 hours at a nice restaurant in town, only 20 mins of which was the actual wedding bit). It was pretty stress free and everyone had a great time, us included.

It helps if you're paying for it yourself, as we were, and that neither set of parents are the type to get offended or upset that we didn't involve them in the organisation.

The key bit for us was that every guest was someone we just couldn't imagine not being at our wedding - there were lots of other people it would have been nice to invite, but we couldn't afford it, and just making that decision cut out a whole layer of agony (work colleagues, more distant family, people who invited us to their own wedding etc). And you know what, the people we couldn't invite were just fine about it (I think!).

All I remember about my actual wedding ceremony were the eyes of the female registrar which looked like they were about to pop out of their sockets at any moment, and her voice, as she 'en-un-ci-ated' every syllable. My bethrothed and I had to avoid catching each others eye or we would have ended up cracking up with laughter.

Miss felt-tip started to cry at the altar and I tersely said under my breath "pull yourself together for god's sake" but I said it louder than intended and the vicar's mic picked it up, some people gasped and the vicar was thrown off course. I had to take control of the situation and pointed at the vicar and (pretending my original invective was directed at the vicar) said loudly "you're getting even worse. come on!" The reaction made me think that I'd made things worse and so I just stood in simmering silence glowering at my bride to be for starting it all and ruining my day.

Ladymuck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ha ha Cassius!

>

> I actually did "crack up" at my wedding...and was

> severely chided by the Registrar who said: "I

> would remind the young bride that this is a very

> solemn ceremony". Told me! LOL! Makes me laugh

> even now.

Could have been worse LadyM you could have wet your knickers...it's been known