Air traffic noise? (Lounged)

alieh

Haven't heard them in the morning but when in the garden at the weekend have definitlely noticed an increase in the numbers of planes recently, they were going over at the rate of about one minute a couple of weeks ago and also flying much lower, think i read somewhere that flight paths have been changed

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 4.20 am yesterday morning was the first - joy for

> an insomniac!

Cure the insomnia.....

Are you moaning about this, I've not been too sure? This is London after all, surely noise is to be expected? And do you fly yourself? If so, no argument surely?

E

I checked with Heathrow last year because I became aware of the planes in May but hadnt before. They explained that the flight paths alternated and that it was also dependant on the direction of the winds (as Cuthbert Dibble said). I then became a tad on the side of obsessive and drove husband and neighbour insane with my observations. Anyhoo, after watching the planes, I had to believe what Heathrow said - we get them and then someone else does - seems a pretty fair system all in all. Unlike Richmond where you are consistently deafened - and pay a premimum for the privilege!

I live on Champion Hill and have done for 9 years now. Air traffic noise has not been a problem here for the first of my eight years but since August 2007, I have noticed it as being a more or less continuous problem from about 6.00 am to 11.00 pm, which I find extremely unpleasant, so much so that I have begun to think about moving. It is my intention to complain to Heathrow and I suggest that anyone else who is concerned about this does too. This website address may assist you.

www.heathrowairport.com/portal/site/default/menuitem.6f3ba83de2d7120769891109328c1a0

That is the same as with BT which used to be called British Telecom, now company name is BT which apparently doesn't stand for anything either. Also World Wildlife Fund, now called WWF,same thing.

EDIT: sorry, veering off topic.

Noisy plane going overhead as I type.....

BP as well.

Just to keep things on topic, I never notice plane noises now, really. But when I lived on Landcroft Road rather than Barry Road, they were really obvious - especially the bloody Concorde that would wake me up early each morning (i had no curtains so in the summer, the room was filled with blinding light - this was right at the start of the iraq war - so everyday my first thought was "sh!t, an atomic bomb has gone off!"). anyway my question to the experts is, will plane noise affect every ED resident equally, or does the angle/direction of your house matter?

Depends on where your house is - I used to live on Chesterfield Grove and it was continuous, that area seems to be the junction point for planes coming in from the north, east and south and just about the point when they change their flap configuration and speed, which results in a lot more noise. Now live on Hillcourt and get much fewer planes overhead and they are much quieter.

I often gaze out of the window of the plane as we approach heathrow, spot my house and long to be in it rather than heading to Heathrow and the arduous journey back to ED again!

BTW another factor is when they are landing towards the west (over ED) they designate one of the runways for landings and one for take-offs and will switch between the two during the day - so this means the planes are lining up in different places throughout the day.

JoeChuff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Get your facts right BarryRoad, BAA doesn't stand

> for British Airport Authority. It doesn't stand

> for anything, the full name of the company is just

> "BAA". I know this because I rang them up to find

> out.

Sorry about that, this must be why I thought it stood for British Airport Authority, from the BAA website http://www.baa.com/portal/page/Corporate%5EAbout+BAA%5EOur+history/6f666da45a282010VgnVCM100000147e120a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/#anchor4:

"1965: Labour minister, Roy Jenkins, introduced the Airports Authority Bill. It was intended to make the nation?s airports more flexible and able to generate profits ? while remaining responsible to Parliament. The British Airports Authority was established."

"1986: The Airports Act was passed, the Authority was dissolved and all its property, rights and liabilities were passed to a new company, BAA."

Regards,

BR

• 2 weeks later...

I moved south, from Hackney (in august) and was really shocked at the level of aircraft noise (windows closed, and earplugs at night), particularly as I paid alot of attention noise factors when moving, but never thought about aircraft as its not an issue in NE. Its been v useful to read the above, and realise there's a bit more to it than 'just getting used to it' (which of course you have to do).

I spent an afternoon looking into triple glazing, which isn't necessarily better for noise reduction than double glazing, depending on the design and installation of the double glazing unit - a whole swathe more geekery possible here! It was also pointed out that basics like checking the seals around the windows can make a big difference to noise entry.

In the last week or so - since mid Sept - I've too noticed it being quieter, and less hectic, on the aircraft front.

I think people have varying sensitivities to noise, and it can be pretty stressful if you find it intrusive.