chichirara

chichirara Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> While taking ChiChi children to atheletics last

> night I noticed a shrine at the top of Sydenham

> Woods. Flowers Mary statue etc. does anyone know

> what it is? Its near where the man used to live in

> a painted shack as I remember

I saw that the other day when I ran past it. I had assumed someone had died by the side of the road, and it had all gonre a bit overboard in the grieving stakes.....Can anyone shed some light?

Eric

I think, but don't quote me on this, that they were buildings associated with the railway line which used to run through the woods. Not sure when it stopped being used though - mid-20th C perhaps? There's the ruins of a little church/chapel too...

The line used to serve the Crystal Palace, with stations where Brenchley Gardens is now in Honor Oak/Forest Hill & at the Forest Hill end of Lordship Lane. Think it lasted until the 50s. There's still a tunnel and bridge there.

I read somewhere that the chapel was part of one of the villas there. But I wonder why they were left to ruin?

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tell us about the man who used to live in the

> painted shack!

>

An old West Indian guy, he lived in a white painted brick shed at the top of the woods bordering Sydenham Hill near Crescent Wood Road. Lived there for years, harmless chap, took to painting the shed occasionally and adding graffiti as required. I think it was demolished after he died a few years back.

This was a guy who crashed his car a few months back, it is likely to cause another accident as it has got so over the top now, photos, statues even lit up with solar lights. The man who lived in the shack went to live in old peoples home in sydenham hill, his name was Soloman.

• 7 months later...

Wooo - sorry to bring up old news but I went passed this for the first time on Sunday - it's a bit over the top. There is a pic of a guy there - looks about 40 ish white guy. Is this who / what the shrine is for?

I found it creepy as fook tbh!

I was sadly driving past there a little while after it happened. Road closed off and lots of emergency vehicles. My osteopath, who I was going to visit said he had walked past there whilst it was still being tended to by ambulances. He thought more than one person died. I was led to believe that it was a number of men from the same Irish family. Could be wrong. Very, very sad. The shrine doesn't look unlike those found all over Italy.

It is a little over the top. I have no idea why but I took a photo on my phone the other day as I walked by. There's not much alese to see on that road I guess.

I drove past just after the accident one saturday a year or so back. large silver mercedes in one of those states where you just know no one has walked away.

Not quite as OTT as I imagined, it is like the ones you get in latin countries where someone has missed a hairpin bend and driven into the abyss. If you want to see a really impressive grave visit Jamie's bench in the Forest Hill Rd cemetery.