Which is the best GP surgery in ED to be with when pregnant?

james84

We have been having a few issues with the surgery on Melbourne Grove and thinking of leaving, but not sure if any in the area are better. we used to be with an amazing surgery in Balham, but this one has been really poor, especially in dealing with my partners pregnancy. Its a special and exciting time and we dont want it spoilt by teh surgery that we are with!!!

Any recommendations welcome.

I'm another one foe Dulwich Medical Centre. My son is nearly 2 and I had the lanes midwives whilst I was pregnant with him and they were fab,can't speak highly enough of them. I'm expecting again now and had my booking in appointment today and again all the team there were so lovely. Although I have to say that they do have a bit of a waiting list but def worth it

Hi James84, another vote for the forest hill road practice and the attached oakwood midwives. I would recommend that before you make any decisions check that any midwife team attached to a particular surgery will be able to take on your partner. I have heard that their caseloads are so big at the moment that many teams are not able to take on pregnant women who join the surgery and only take on existing patients who get in quick. In that case, a woman would then be referred to the midwives at kings. Hope this helps.

The Oakwood midwives at Forest Hill Road are proving so far (still only 16 weeks) to be brilliant. Comparing my experiences to other pregnant woman I know, they are head and shoulders above others. (Not a comment on Brierley or The Lanes as I don't know anyone with them - they also seem to be fantastic judging by comments on here!).

I agree with Saffron - Oakwood Midwives attached to the Forest Hill Road Group Practice are excellent. Incredibly supportive throughout my pregnancy and for a month after I gave birth (which they had no obligation to do...).

I did previously like the surgery too but have had some bad experiences since Baby Knomester was born. I now have a list of my preferred GPs at the surgery who I wait to see unless it's an emergency.

Another vote for Oakwood midwifes at Forest Hill Road - they are fantastic. Tend to get oversubscribed through so make sure to get your referral early. Didn't have such good experience with the baby clinic at the surgery - long waiting time and unhelpful(or possible over worked) health visitors - so I ended up going elsewhere for weighting and checking of our daughter.

DMC - I gave birth on Saturday and they have been absolutely amazing. This birth was an entirely different experience to the birth of my first child and it's all thanks to The Lanes midwives - they're amazing and we're so lucky to have this level of provision available (when it is - I know they have a waiting list).

Yet another vote for DMC (The Lanes). Adore, adore, adore. I especially love how in the days immediately after the birth they would turn up on their push bikes for a check up and a natter. It sounds minor, but having nice, empathetic, knowledgeable ladies popping round to your house in those fuzzy, painful post-partum days is just so valuable.

Stina - Where did you go to weigh your baby? I haven't had Baby Nnomester weighed for over 6 weeks because I can't bear the wait at the Forest Hill Road clinic on a Wednesday (or the unhelpful HVs...). Would like to take him somewhere else this week to check how he's getting on.