How important is physical attraction in a relationship?

emc

There's a fine line between love and hate.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

I don't think physical attraction can somehow grow if there wasn't anything there in the first place.

Thankfully physical attraction means different things to different people.

Is this more about 'love at first sight' and people that are in relationships for the sake of it?

sexually attraction and desire is very important in a relationship and whilst it is not the most important thing, I have always seen it as the glue that binds the other stuff together. Fortunately the things that people find attractive and sexy are diverse (I have a hopeless weakness for glasses, nice hands and forearms, oh and slightly crooked bottom teeth...). But despite the importance of finding someone attractive, I have never ended a relationship because of not finding someone attractive, its usually that they are selfish or just not funny so it must be the other attributes which are more fundamental.

waynetta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course physical attraction is important. Why

> else would she be with him ?

>

> http://blog.mtvasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12

> /2067054.jpg

Lol.....you cannot see the large wad of money in his pocket and his wallet full of no limit credit cards!

thats sex appeal!

Very funny MrT! Incidentally I once heard a male gigolo explain that in order to 'perform' with his lady clients of all ages and physical appearance, he would always find at least one attractive thing upon which to focus.... nice eyes, nice hair, the shape of her thigh and so on. It goes to show that there is beauty in everyone if you are prepared to look. So, physical attraction is important in a relationship, but problems can arise if the other person doesn't look hard enough to see it.

Physical attraction comes in all, shape and sizes but I have to agree with Lol it is the money you find in the celebrities world rich old men attract younger women very few go out with a women there own age I personally would not date a man shorter than myself as I feel is if I am forcing him.

Terry Thomas esq Wrote:

> I say That's harsh.... but no mention of the ON

> switch Katie... did he not know how to turn you

> :-$n

>

> What a bounder

Tel, there's a lot of bounders out there, or so I hear, I'm sure you could teach them a thing or two :)

katie1997 Wrote:

>

> Tel, there's a lot of bounders out there, or so I

> hear, I'm sure you could teach them a thing or two

> :)

My Dear Katie

As much as I could teach them about etiquete and impressing the ladies, I would prefer to teach you a few things

Bottle of Champage during your first lesson my dear? of course you will

From the Beeb:

Professor Robin Dunbar of Liverpool University spent much of the latter half of the 1990s studying the hidden evolutionary signals contained in Lonely Hearts advertisements.

Dunbar found that the vast majority of words used by people to describe themselves in ads could be lumped into five different categories.

He asked 200 university students to rate the appeal of ads containing different categories of words. When Dunbar analysed the results, he found that men and women attached very different levels of importance to the five categories:

Men's preferences

1. Attractiveness

1. Commitment

3. Social Skills

4. Resources

4. Sexiness

Women's preferences

1. Commitment

2. Social Skills

3. Resources

4. Attractiveness

5. Sexiness

Far from being conditioned to regard these things as important, Dunbar argued that men and women had evolved these preferences over millions of years of evolution. These were crucial qualities that enhanced the fitness of children, and, lest we forget, children are the key to the survival of our species.

What hidden messages do we send the opposite sex?

Pregnancy and breast-feeding place great stress on a mother, so females make the biggest investment in reproduction. This is why women are choosier about their partners than men, with 20-something women being the choosiest of all.

This big parental investment also explains why women seek males who are willing to stick around and provide for children

However, when the desire for reproduction is taken out of the equation, preferences change drastically. Dunbar has shown that lesbians were three times less likely to seek resources than heterosexual women.

For males, time spent providing for a pregnant partner could be better spent fathering other children with other women. This may explain why men place such a high premium on attractiveness.

Attractiveness is a rough indicator of age, and in women, age is a good indicator of fertility. After her late 20s, a woman's fertility steadily declines, and so does her value on the dating market.

However, asked to choose one woman as a long-term partner, all three groups chose the beautiful woman regardless of what age they thought she was.

"They are saying: 'I'd rather risk a relationship with an older woman who is not going to give me as many children but is very beautiful, than a woman who is more fecund but whose children will be plainer," says Fieldman.

The theory is based on the notion that a beautiful woman is more likely to bear beautiful offspring and that those offspring will be more successful than plainer offspring.

So I guess that whether physical attraction is important in a relationship depends entirely on what you want out of the relationship.

Without a doubt it's got to be important in the 'lust' stage, but it probably gets a lower priority in the 'attraction' and 'attachment' phases

If your overall priorities are resources or commitment, then you may not need to go through the 'lust' stage at all - thus negating the necessity for physical attraction.

dita-on-tees Wrote:

> I think my relationships would be easier if I had

> a mute switch.

Most men have these inbuilt. Its when you can listen to what your wife says and watch sport at the same time, nodding occaisionally.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> dita-on-tees Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I think my relationships would be easier if I

> had

> > a mute switch.

>

>

> Most men have these inbuilt. Its when you can

> listen to what your wife says and watch sport at