Jerk Rock?

this is speculation but I wonder if there was an environmental health issue. The only thing I can find is a report from 2005 here

Scores on the Doors.

May be they could not rectify the 'Structural' issues and had to close (? not cost effective).

If not this then maybe they could not sustain the large portions that they apparently served and just 'went under'.

I actually ate in Cafe El Paso on Saturday - unfortunately we were the only people in there! It's a shame because I guess they must be stuggling to survive, and I wouldn't like to see them go... it's become something of a local institution in my opinion. But it does exactly what it says on the tin, cheap and cheerful tex-mex. The frozen cocktails are good fun, and the bottled beer is the cheapest you'll find in ED.

I was told that Jerk Rock closed because the landord who owns half of that strip (from the tyre shop)to the fried chicken place has bascially put up all of the rents. You'll see that flats above have all been repainted and are up for let too. Thats the same reason the tyre shop closed down - new rents are too high. I love the frontage of the tyre shop that apparently has been there 30 years and will be taking some pictures of it before they re do it. In fact...if it was in Shoreditch or New York they would keep the frontage untouched and turn it into a bar. Called Tyres or something. With an oil based cocktail menu.

I think it has been said elsewhere and that Jerk Rock is going to be the second outlet of Mrs Robinson. Selling womenswear but also some mens stuff too (hooray more stripey jumpers!).

Jerk Rock was always empty yet was open for a very long time with no discernable turnover. I'll let you work that one out!

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would love to drink at Tyres. Please can

> someone rich buy the Tyre shop and do as Mr Ben

> suggests.

Michelin Martinis anyone? Or perhaps a Firestone* - suggested ingredients: Apple Brandy, Vodka and Bourbon - Apple Brandy warmed separately then lit and poured into the Vodka & Bourbon mix - to be downed whilst flames still licking. Not good for beards or eyebrows.

* This is pure invention but based on the "Flaming Benny" - Creme de Menthe with flaming brandy poured in - creates a horrible hangover.

More ideas anyone?

El Paso used to be wicked, I love mexican food, but sadly I was really disappointed when I asked for tortillas with the cheese, tomatoes etc and I got sainsburys nachos which was bloody salty and it tasted like they used red hot chilli pepper west indies style instead of tomato sauce etc. The wraps were horrible and the ice creams looks was joke, tiny and like the ones you get in makro from a multi pack!

I went for my birthday and was disappointed! I preferred my hummus, pitta bread and olives from Horniman museum cafe!!

We still need a proper west indies shop in dulwich and a sushi bar...someone please opena sushi bar!!!

El Paso is a classic British interpretation of Mexican food, and as an American Ex-Pat, I find it a complete disaster. For good Mexican, despite the schlep into town, I would try Wahaca in Covent Garden (www.wahaca.co.uk). Food is fresh and really good although the services is pretty average. The Margaritas are also v. v. yummy....