Waitrose or M&S TYPE supermarket - do we want one on LL?

katie1997 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Narnia Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Is there any truth in the rumour that the city

> > workers only have to work late 'cause they

> spend

> > so much time during the day being witty etc on

> > here and have to catch up?

>

> What rumour's that then?

>

> A lot of people don't work from ' 9 till 5'

> anymore, so not sure that people 'working late' is

> necessarily meant to be 'catching up' time. I

> could be wrong of course...

>

> Iceland on LL opens late. Plenty of well-stocked

> fresh bags of salad, vegetables etc there if you

> MUST have a supermarket to shop in.

I confess I made up the rumour.

I thought that w/ends were for getting the shopping done so you didn't have to starve. That combined with HAL's suggestion of using a fridge should resolve the problem.

i don't get why people want other people to justify how and where they want to shop - if people want to be able to shop on their way home why does that bother others?

particularly when most of the recent suggestions aren't to use local shops (as they're shut) but to use M&S elsewhere or Sainsburys so the whole 'it's bad for independent local traders' doesn't really run - it's no better for local traders if people spend their money at M&S London Bridge or on DKH (with it's station-inflated pricing)

I think the suggestion of buying at an 'aspirational' supermarket eg M&S at London Bridge or Liverpool St en route back to ED was to counter those city workers who say they get home late and don't often find what they want/need on LL (be it from Co-op, Iceland or the independent shops around, of which some are open late) and seemed to specifically want M&S (so no loss to existing local business although there would be if these were directly on LL).

RosieH's many suggestions were spot on! Now beans on toast or Hisar....mmm.

No idea why people getting back late don't use the big Sainsbury's either unless its cos the walk through the park to get there is a bit scary on your own ( it is to me anyway).

Narnia - v.funny :)

katie1997 Wrote:

> I think the suggestion of buying at an

> 'aspirational' supermarket eg M&S at London Bridge

> or Liverpool St en route back to ED was to counter

> those city workers who say they get home late....

but why do they need to be countered? - they want to shop close to home rather than at a station with less stock at higher prices and may be don't want/can't afford to e.g. go out to eat on LL everyday or order food for delivery from Firezza (with associated avoidable pollution), what's the problem?

My problem pk, is that I really really don't want ANOTHER supermarket in East Dulwich. If it were to cannibalise one that's already here that's a different matter.

If people want a Waitrose, fine, they're entitled to their opinion. But the comment that there's nothing to buy in East Dulwich at 8.30pm, or that working in the city means that you can't buy food for dinner, is patently nonsense, and my post was responding to that.

mollieo Wrote:

> We are city workers who work late and there is

> never any fresh food left in co-op on the way home

> at 8:30 and all the local shops are closed by

> then. We only moved here in September and we

> starve and never have any food! We need a proper

> supermarket. Please get an M&S or Waitrose which

> is fully stocked and open late.

Likewise, we are out most days. Agree that an M&S or Waitrose would be ideal, but there is always just being organised and having your shopping delivered late once in the week.

pk Wrote:

> katie1997 Wrote:

> -----

> > I think the suggestion of buying at an

> > 'aspirational' supermarket eg M&S at London

> Bridge

> > or Liverpool St en route back to ED was to

> counter

> > those city workers who say they get home

> late....

>

> but why do they need to be countered? - they want

> to shop close to home rather than at a station

> with less stock at higher prices and may be don't

> want/can't afford to e.g. go out to eat on LL

> everyday or order food for delivery from Firezza

> (with associated avoidable pollution), what's the

> problem?

Yes, sure I get that we all like to shop close to home and we may not want to order take away either; my comment was a response to the claim that we need more supermarkets on LL for this very purpose because there is 'no food and they starve' if they travel back late from the city on occasion.

I don't get the relevance about associated avoidable pollution either.

I've already said that I was in favour of a Waitrose or M&S; it would be a "destination shop" and encourage me to spend more time on Lordship Lane. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the food offered by those two types of supermarket would be attractive: it's not about starving city workers with more money than sense. There just isn't another compelling reason to stop on LL, for all the independent and unique shops and restaurants. ED has a great forum and a nice retail environment, but it's not the centre of my universe.

john

• 9 months later...

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

> ImpetuousVrouw Wrote:

> -----

> > The People's Supermarket seems like a much

> better

> > idea.

>

> They are a bit like a 'hippy Londis', if you've

> ever been in.

>

> Manchester's Unicorn is probably one of the

> best-realised co-ops in the country, imagine SMBS

> if it was bigger and not utterly overpriced.

> Something like that would probably do very well.

> http://www.unicorn-grocery.co.uk/

My mum lives near the Unicorn (Chorlton, Manchester) and I have to say it is excellent - like SMB or whatever that "organic" shop on LL is called (close to Tandoori Nights, wine shop and the St Christopher's Hospice shop). I think that is large enough to have a good range especially of organic and vegetarian products.

I think a small Waitrose would be okay, as per above not sure where it would be situated - old Dulwich Hospital site is only one suitable I would have thought??

Love the idea of a large indoor market selling food and with some cafes that open late. Agree long opening hours are a real plus with kids, as is somewhere you can basically buy everything rather than leisurely stroll around to pick up fruit and veg then to the deli for cheese & cheesecake (ED deli cheesecake mm mmm delish) and other shops for basics and so on... (as I did sometimes pre-baby!).

All debate is good, especially if local councillors are participating! If you don't want to chat then log off :)

Ha ha, that's the best yet UDT - you're actually going to cut off your nose to spite your face out of snobbery!!

You're looking down on people who shop at Waitrose, so you're going to stop going there regardless of the quality of the product. How ridiculous is that.

I should add that St. Thomas More hall is closing because nobody went there and it lost loads of money, not because of Supermarkets. See threads passim.