Waitrose or M&S TYPE supermarket - do we want one on LL?

I'm not sure about waitrose or M&S but I would like somewhere to get superior ingredients without having to travel to Beckenham Waitrose.

Competitve prices please.

As for the weekly shop you need car parking facilities.

i think lordship lane got enough, it may sound cheap but iceland sell top branded products also they have the quickest turn over, so all food is always fresh, and sainsburys is our other great option.

it will probably be difficult to have competitive rates of food, if someone has to go cheaper, then the next store slashes the cheaper one, then they have to import chicken from some flat in iraq to stay in buisness "mind you that could be a good thing, open up loads more" thats what = resesion.

if anything im sure weitrose or marks deliver......by opening more stores and attracting crowds creates loads of cars, then parking meters will be installed everyware, then more lego men on mopeds that cant talk english and think their the police and talking rude to people, its bad enough having to drive around the block 10 times to get a space,

motorbird83 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Definite yes! I think the small shops will be

> fine as you can tell from the replies, they have a

> hard core base that won't leave them.

xxxxxx

When Sainsbury's opened on Dog Kennel Hill, quite a number of small local shops were forced to close, including greengrocers and butchers on Lordship Lane and a Greek deli/grocers on North Cross Road.

I guess they would also have thought they had a "hard core base" of customers.

i know, im illucinating lol...

just cant park out side my house for 2 mins these days,:)

but they do look like lego men, well just my luck theres no pictures of the lego man from years back on net, that made me sound dumb.

it was a cub 90 bike with a big round helmet on him like the old fasioned london to brighton bikes.

but he wouldnt LEGO till i moved, is what i ment lol.

Not sure lynn my nan has been here longer than me, and she is spoilt for choice now, maybe they need some sort of reunion to reminisce.......but some certain places are closing like i hear st thomas more hall, that was basically their night club :O)...but prices have shot up in dulwich that could be a problem to who knows.

We older people are children of the sixties - old modernizers! Yes, shops in ED probably don't cater for us, specifically, but we are made very welcome in pubs and restaurants. Our minds are still young (until Alzheimers sets in!) and we would love to go to book clubs, food clubs, sporting fixtures on T in pubs etc but do not do so because (quite wrongly I am sure), we think, being old, people may think we would cast a damper on things and we would feel out of place. (I think a ladies club on this forum suggested an upper age limit of 45 but I may be wrong).

Therefore the following suggestions;

1. Anyone advertising an event on this forum state specifically that all ages welcome, if this is, in fact, the case;

2. Anyone of "the older generation" PM me with suggestions as to how to get us bettered catered for in East Dulwich; I promise to follow up: (perhaps a group for over 60s?)

3. Any owners of businesses come forward with their suggestions - the "silver" cash could prove profitable, especially with special offers.

I hope I am not being presumptuous but Google and the Minkey have a point, which I identify with and which I think should be addressed.

For the aspiring middle classes, once you've achieved a sainsburys and a local sainsburys within dog ball throwing distance, you know you've made it. I personally am not a fan of sainsburys because I think it's a little overpriced and I'd be far happier if tesco moved into the dog kennel hill site. However, don't lose heart, sainsburys seem to adore ED and even if waitrose don't tale a chance on us, you'll always have the smug one upmanship on Peckham, Brixton and Camberwell! (!)

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ...even if waitrose don't tale a

> chance on us, you'll always have the smug one

> upmanship on Peckham, Brixton and Camberwell! (!)

>

> Louisa.

Has the M&S in Brixton closed then?

>

>

> Has the M&S in Brixton closed then?

Not to my knowledge, and neither has the one on Waleorth Road, but again it's all about retail unit size and access, footfall and transport links. Brixton M&S is directly opposite the Victoria Line, of course it isn't going to close!

Louisa.

M&S and a well linked tube line have done little to gentrify Brixton beyond what already Had taken place in the preceding 20 odd years. If you want certain things because you think it will somehow regenerate an area and add to house prices- think again! Some would argue gentrification took place in ED simply because of it's slightly edgy, no-mans land image of nothingness to the Claphamite generation, squeezed out of SW postcodes due to high rents and crazy house prices. Perhaps by attracting huge numbers of chain stores we would lose that and only attract chain store loving outsiders from surrounding poorer neighbourhoods! Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it! (not my words, and said firmly with Tongue in cheek ;-))

Louisa.

Knock down the Iceland? Great idea! Maybe put up a 40 story multimillion pound skyscraper in it's place with enough room for a Waitrose, mini Harrods and a few luxury penthouse apartments, maybe even whack a direct tube service to Oxford circus (no stops along route). Don't you love living in SE22? :-)

Louisa.

Knock down the Iceland? Great idea! Maybe put up a 40 story multimillion pound skyscraper in it's place with enough room for a Waitrose, mini Harrods and a few luxury penthouse apartments, maybe even whack a direct tube service to Oxford circus (no stops along route). Don't you love living in SE22? :-)

In response I hardly think that replacing one chain with a perceived better suited chain will bring the existing Lordship lanes independent shopping precinct crashing down nor will it have "sold it's self out " by gaining the services of these type of shops ,people will vote with there feet furthermore "that I must hate living in SE22 ? " A little over the top methinks , mind you I like your idea of a none stop tube to Oxford circus perhaps a link to the Eurostar while we are at it East Dulwich to Paris in under 3 hours ?