Breastfeeding friendly place to have lunch in ED

Had second baby on Christmas Eve and keen to get out of the house with hubby and baby before hubby has to return to work. It's been three years since I was feeding my daughter so wondered if anyone could give me an update on which places in ED are breastfeeding friendly (and which are definitely not) - will happily travel a little way if there's somewhere brilliant in Herne Hill, West/Dulwich, etc etc.

Thanks!

i have fed my baby without problem at all at the following:

Brockwell Lido Cafe

Dulwich Park Cafe

The Florence Pub (Herne Hill)

Pizza Express (Dulwich Village)

Crown and Greyhound (Dulwich Village)

i suppose though they are just the places I am most of the time, haven't come across anywhere that i have felt that I couldnt' feed her :)

Congratulations on your Christmas bundle!

Since you fed your first baby the law has changed. I believe it's now illegal to discriminate against breastfeeding mothers feeding in public even with babies beyond 6 months. I've breastfed in most eateries in East Dulwich since my baby was born in August and have never had any trouble whatsoever. I kind of want someone to say something so I can throw the book at them, but I can be a bit bolshy at times ;)

Maybe I've been lucky but one breastfeeding highlight for me was going on a very exciting outing to the new shopping centre near St Pauls with two nct friends and us all breastfeeding a) in a Zizzi restaurant filled with city workers and b) in a cafe next to a windowed room with a business meeting clearly taking place! In both places we had fantastic waiters and no one batted an eyelid. If that is the case in Cheapside then i can't imagine any problems in predominantly mummy friendly ED!

Should be acceptable for you to breastfeed anywhere now. Breastfeeding mothers are protected under the human rights bill now. Your baby is protected too. I'd go wherever you like and if anyone says anything you can remind them they are the one infact breaking the law. Your under shall we say double rights with a baby under 6 months as it also comes under maternity rights too. Do your thing mummy and congratulations x

Think all the eateries in ED courting the mummy pound are breastfeeding friendly, especially during the day. Some places are less baby friendly in the evening (nothing to do with feeding), which IMO is reasonable.

Didn't know about the change in law, that's interesting. I thought it was only in Scotland that breastfeeding was protected in law.

Very good, Keef! ;-)

The new protections in England and Wales are contained in the Equalities Act which came into force in October last year; they make it clear that it is discriminatory on grounds of pregnancy / maternity to treat a woman differently because she is breastfeeding a baby of six months or under, but to be honest in my view that was just making clear what was already the law. (Whether or not it was obeyed and / or enforced is another matter, and whether or not making express provision in the Equalities Act will improve enforcement / compliance is yet another thing). Beyond 6 months the normal provisions on sex discrimination apply which give you the same protection.

The Scottish provisions operate on a different basis, as explained in these FAQ , but the aim is the same.

Enjoy!

The Herne is really nice (but bit cold unfortunately!). The Victoria Inn is really good - batman happy to speak to me mid feed rather than giving me the swerve which I've had friends do even!

On a slightly related note, tried out the cafe in Mama's & Papa's on Regent St monday & it was fab... Loads of room for buggies by each table, good chairs to feed on, nice changing facilities and nice food/?no minimal ? order - hubbie described it as an oasis of calm!! Will def visit there again!!

As always, am in awe of the wisdom of EDForum. Thanks very much everyone. I think we're going to try the Florence as we've not been there before and will definitely head for the Victoria Inn (as it's around the corner). And I also like the sound of having somewhere baby friendly in town.

And so pleased to hear about the change in the law - so I should think too.

fidgetsmum- great choice. the florence have a great childrens play area and great menu.

be sure to sign up for their mum's the word loyalty card which will entitle you to lots of different exclusive offers. this card can be used with us & at the bishop so you will be spoilt for choice.

Molly

It's taken me a while to feel 100% confident breastfeeding in public, and I still use a scarf to cover up baby's head and boob (although he's taken to pushing it off these days..). I would also say most places in ED are breastfeeding friendly, but my fave is Green & Blue. I went there for lunch with some friends, and there were at least 3 other women breastfeeding at different tables. And the food and wine was good, too.

radnrach Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's taken me a while to feel 100% confident

> breastfeeding in public, and I still use a scarf

> to cover up baby's head and boob (although he's

> taken to pushing it off these days..). I would

> also say most places in ED are breastfeeding

> friendly, but my fave is Green & Blue. I went

> there for lunch with some friends, and there were

> at least 3 other women breastfeeding at different

> tables. And the food and wine was good, too.

Hi - I'm one of the owners of G&B and I'm glad to see some of you like us. We have a section at the back of the bar that has sofas, so you can be nice and comfy, and a few kids toys and books so if you have a toddler with you too they can be kept happy while you bf. It is also very near a child friendly loo so you can easily change a nappy if you need to. We are very happy to have any mums and babes in for coffee and our delicious cakes, and though you are welcome to sit anywhere you like, the bit round the back tends to be a bit quieter and more comfy. Hope to see you there!

Yes, Green and Blue is fab. My favourite. I usually go in there for a coffee and cake to breastfeed my 1 year old with 3.5 year old in tow and the staff have always been absolutely lovely to the kids and myself. It's a very relaxed and calm place (well, until we get there!). They even bring you a glass of water, without it being requested, if they see you're breastfeeding, which I think is damn good service!!