-------------------------------------------------------

> You know you grew up in East Dulwich when you can

> no longer afford to live here?

THIS^^^

JoeLeg Wrote:

> When you remember being excited about 7-11 opening

> up...

And THIS^^^ (Going for a slurpie after school)

adonirum Wrote:

> When the building on the corner of North Cross

> Road/Archdale Road was the primary school you went

> to and not ?1million flats.

And THIS^^^

When you still expect to see a paddling pool where the sandpit now is at Hornimans (as well as 2 sandpits that were actually like pits).

When you still expect to see a bandstand in Peckham Rye Park, and remember those Sunday afternoons

You were weary of girls in red jumpers as a teenager.

Otta Wrote:

> Sorry, phone typo, "wary".

I was thinking you lucky bloody devil, I wish I'd had a chance to get weary of any sort of girls, red-sweatered or not, when I was a teenager...

Why were these young ladies in red to be avoided?

It was ther Waverley uniform. I never had a problem to be honest, but I think my sister did one day, and they defo had a bit of a rep.

The P3/184 (later 484) I'd get to Aske's used to pass Waverley. I swear all the boys were terrified! ;-)

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Speaking of providing content, were any of you

> contacted by a Kiwi last year doing a thesis based

> on this forum?

Yes, nice chap - Henry Lyons, his name was - wonder how it turned out?

Red Jumpers were Friern Girl's School uniform. In the 6th Form we were allowed a choice - Navy or Green Jumpers with navy skirts and in summer beige or turquoise shirtwaster dresses. Must not forget the straw hat in summer - which we decorated with flowers picked from resident's gardens. In the flower power days - it was 'hip' to walk bare footed with a guitar and flowery hat - putting shoes on when within sight of the school.

When most of ED did not have indoor bathrooms and WCs - the GLC announced this area as an Area Improvement and Modernisation zone and pumped in millions to enable householders and landlords to install indoor bathrooms and WCs, new roofing and gutters. This was the start of the gentrification of ED (talking of late 70s and early 80s)

When ED baths had slipper baths and cost 6d for a weekly bath.

When you could go and visit the horses in the stables behind the police station (which is now the new primary school on the corner of lordship lane and whately road). The police would almost always let you in to pet them if you asked nicely - this would've been around 1981/2.

adonirum Wrote:

> ......or when the Police station was a house on

> the corner of Upland Road/Crystal Palace Road.

I thought that house for undercover police. Are you saying it was a Police station before that?

boyohboy Wrote:

> When you could go and visit the horses in the

> stables behind the police station (which is now

> the new primary school on the corner of lordship

> lane and whately road). The police would almost

> always let you in to pet them if you asked nicely

> - this would've been around 1981/2.

Same experience, but a few years later. Probably mid to late 80s.

Hi Alan Medic

The building on the corner of Crystal Palace Road and Upland Road was the East Dulwich Police station before the one in Lordship Lane was built. The police continued to use it as offices until recently.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> adonirum Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ......or when the Police station was a house on

> > the corner of Upland Road/Crystal Palace Road.

>

> I thought that house for undercover police. Are

> you saying it was a Police station before that?

Yes, AM, as late as the mid/late seventies it was a fully working station. You are correct about it being kept on for CID after L.L. opened.