Flats For Sale - Opposite ED Train Station

fish

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone got a link to the web page for this

> development?

Sorry? What? Couldn't here you, mate. Got my ear plugs in and am trying to hold on to the rattling crockery.

I think the website was http://www.gv15.co.uk/ but it's not working anymore. A google search of GV15 Dulwich brings up Hampton's site saying...

Flat for sale - Grove Vale, London, SE22 - Asking price of ?250,000

1 bedroom, 1 reception room, 1 bathroom

UNDER OFFER

A fabulous one bedroom apartment within this super new development in East Dulwich. GV15 is the epitome of the urban ideal, combining excellent finish with prime location.

god knows why they call it the "epitome of the urban ideal" unless the urban ideal is living in a small triangular box on a train track.

On a slight aside, as we're in the lounge, did you know that the russian for train "vokzal" apparently comes from the time Tsar Nicholas I came to visit Britain and went on a train (sorry nero, steam powered railway locomotive), and when they pulled up at a station asked what it was called.

He meant the station, but his host misunderstood and answered Vauxhall.

Could be myth, but it's a goodun nevertheless.

I've always said train and always will. Not that fussed about its origins. Language moves on.

It is the green-eyed monster, which doth mock The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger; But O, what damned minutes tells he o'er Who dotes, yet doubts--suspects, yet strongly loves!

Nero Wrote:

> BTW, it's 'railway station'. 'Train station' is an

> Americanism and it sounds awful. I even see it on

> BBC websites, but there you go. Nero

>>BTW, it's 'railway station'. 'Train station' is an Americanism and it sounds awful. I even see it on BBC websites, but there you go. Nero<<

I agree emphatically - but just the other week the Guardian confirmed "train station" was now in its style book: deplorable.

And "train station" would not have worked in the opening line of "Homeward Bound" either....:))

This does have a whiff l'acad?mie fran?aise about it.

I admit [skedule] tends to jar me a bit, and I loath few words more than diss (except the original call centre town of course).

But to echo downsouth, language does move on. For instance no one seems too bothered that we no longer use 'ye' as second person plural (ye irish types excepted of course) though I think it's a bit sad we lost it.

What about cupboard, what happened to good old-fashioned press? etc etc

Come on, railway's a bit archaic isn't it....and we have bus stations not turnpike stations.

>>But to echo downsouth, language does move on.> For instance no one seems too bothered that we no longer use 'ye' as second person plural (ye irish types excepted of course) though I think it's a bit sad we lost it.>Come on, railway's a bit archaic isn't it>....and we have bus stations not turnpike stations<<

Not the same thing at all, For one thing "railway station" has worked perfectly adequately for almost 200 years: the railway is always in the station, the trains are not. Bus (or Coach) stations needed to be termed thus because roads are used by other vehicles so the discrimination was necessary for clarity. "Train station" is just an ugly and redundant construction. All just IMHO of course B)

mockney piers Wrote:

> This does have a whiff l'acad?mie fran?aise about

> it.

> I admit tends to jar me a bit, and I loath few

> words more than diss (except the original call

> centre town of course).

>

> But to echo downsouth, language does move on. For

> instance no one seems too bothered that we no

> longer use 'ye' as second person plural (ye irish

> types excepted of course) though I think it's a

> bit sad we lost it.

> What about cupboard, what happened to good

> old-fashioned press? etc etc

>

> Come on, railway's a bit archaic isn't it....and

> we have bus stations not turnpike stations.

Completely off the thread here but being an Irish type I'm curious to know why so many people here use 'we was' instead of 'we were'?

>Completely off the thread here but being an Irish type I'm curious to know why so many people here use 'we was' instead of 'we were'?

At first the missus' constant savaging of the grammar such as 'I would've went' and 'we was' I put down to her apparently being a bad pupil at school (so she tells me).

Then I went to Ireland and found much of it to be universal, so I got over it and decided it was a dialect instead.

Although I think 'illunimous' is just her family!!

'Illunimous' sounds like a great word but what does it mean? I don't know if we can be blamed for savaging grammer in Ireland as we learnt it from ye. We have enough problems trying to pronounce 'th' to be bothered with the rest. I think it's a tongue thing as my spanish missus says things I couldn't possibly repeat.

I read R.F. Fosters History of Ireland. Large tracts, like any history are pretty dull, but he does like to interject humour where possible. (as any good Irishman should)

He makes a point about the mischievous and unruly nature of the Irish being apparent from 2 things.

One was the church's constant exasperation about how the Irish refused to pay much more than lip service to catholic orthodoxy and continued to be pretty darned pagan right up until the nationalist struggles of the last century.

The other was the constant mangling of the English language much to the chagrin of the English.

I think his implication on both points was that the Irish love to flick the bird at authority, and anything that annoys it is generally held to be a good thing ;-)

Oh and it's interchangeable with luminous, fluorescent and generally bright as far as I can work out. Good word though.