Fish and Chips - we miss Seacow

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the best chips are made by Wetherspoons imho

I could tell you some stories about the provenance of Wetherspoons food that would turn your hair white...but if you like it, go right ahead!

Whatever you do, don't waste any money at the new Fish & Chip shop FLADDA which was The Flying Fish at Camberwell Church St.

Absolutely horrible food and very expensive.

I ordered cod and fishcakes for our Dinner and it was disgusting, dry and flavourless.

The cod looked like a large fish finger and the batter was completely soggy.

The fishcakes and chips were hard and dry they were so overcooked. See M&S style photo below

Give this new place a miss, I know I will be from now on.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/kazza21/unnamed_zpsswjfd9ua.jpg

Nigello Wrote:

> Bajanbelle, I hope you told them there and then.

> This is fair comment but I would like to think

> that pointing failings out to the person who could

> actually do something on the spot is better and

> fairer.

But they shouldn't be serving poor food in the first place ....

I also concur. Can't vouch for the fish - I've only ever had saveloy or sausage there - but Ken's do the best chips we've found around here.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Asset Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ken's - Half Moon Lane.

>

> I concur.

Definitely bad luck because it was the best in the area, consistently, over several years until it closed recently. Te guy who ran it was never testy in the dozens of times I went there.

Seabag Wrote:

> I reckon I had the worst F & C at The Flying Fish

>

> Stale oil, powdery chips and the old guy was

> testy

>

> Maybe my bad luck, but still rubbish

• 2 months later...
Fladda reopened last week and I can confirm that the fish and chips are excellent. Not at all soggy (the poster above must have visited when they had teething problems.) Good value and the best in the area; even better than The Flying Fish, which we have missed since it closed. Highly recommended.

• 1 year later...

Rose?s on East Dulwich Road is definitely one of the best IMHO, probably in all of inner south London. Good chunky chips, freshly cooked fish in a decent crispy batter and all served in a proper box so it remains crispy and nothing goes cold. Also, they do a great selection of pies too.

Louisa.

Never tried Kens. It is a 25 min walk each way. Hardly practical for me.

I Find Semas good. and just 2 mins walk each way. Large portions. Friendly staff.

Olleys is too expensive ?13.00 - ?15.00 for sit in Cod and Chips. #Joke

Tried Rose's when it first opened. Worst Fish I have ever eaten/ Left it. greasy soggy fish. Dreadfull Chips

Rude staff.

Cod Fellas Good Sit-in. Lovely Fish with a choice of oil or dripping. Lovely chips. Large portions Nice guy.

DulwichFox.

Pugwash Wrote:

> Emily's North Cross Road - run by Ahmed and his

> wife.

They are really lovely people, but sadly the chips aren't lovely.

In my experience :(