When is Rocca in Dulwich Village opening?

rebeccaben

Yes Huge which is why i said it was 'close' - any extreme comparison for whatever reason - it's the use of the extreme not the subject matter - makes it funny and predictable ((damn that probably contravenes at least anothwer two of hunc's laws)) and flirts with hunca's unnameable law as that is how it usually arises - and yes the original WAS meant to be humourous

Another Thread that has turned into nonsense ..

I'll still be struggling with lunch next week ..

Where to go with avg food at every turn... ?

Jamie Oliver come and help us .... even he couldn't cock up a bowl of pasta.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Shall be sticking with Si Mangia.

Thanks for that one.

Just read a few reviews and it's owned by Lorenzo owners son.

So should be good open wed thur and friday for lunch.

Cheers

Maxxi

Il Mirto sounds like an Avoid... maybe son of CRocca .. ;)

• 2 months later...

Just thought that I would say a big thumbs up to Rocca. We had lunch there today with rhe dog and we sat in the little outside garden part at the rear. It was rather noisy due to there being a large party in at the same time. Despite the fact that it was so busy, the staff were wonderfully attentive and quick with everything.

Starters were lovely as were pizza mains, nothing too fussy, just good, honest food. For just under ?40 for two (tgat includes coffees and OJ too) a very decent way to spend Sunday lunch. The decor inside is very fresh and relaxing too. I will definitely go back although perhaps a bit earlier to avoid the rush.

So, whatever issues they may have had a while back, they seem to have ironed out so well done..! :)-D

Ah Yes apparently if you stick to the Pizza you'll be ok.

Anything else keep sick bag near or feed it to your dog :)

I've not been back but hear little has changed in the pasta department apparently it's still S$*T. and the salads remain limp expensive and small.

Karenina75 Wrote:

> I'd forgotten all about your ridiculous slanting

> on this place Fazer 71

> Have you found anywhere in the local vicinity that

> is up to your very high standards yet?

Yes Si Mangia and Lorenzo's for pasta and Thai corner cafe when open for lunch and Ganapati for Indian are currently my fav's.

Until I hear otherwise my view of Rocca is that it has poor quality ingredients incompetent chefs and food with little taste. It's pretty hard to make bad pasta and that I'm afraid that means a big NO for a place pretending to be an Italian Restaurant.

Any recommendations?

Heh heh

I went for lunch at Rocca today for pasta! Had a lovely plate of pasta pesto with the addition of green beans and potato, an authentic pasta alla genovese - I have to say it was delicious. The pasta there is made from OO grade flour, which is why I can eat it [as I have specific dietary requirement], and this does often taste slightly different to what is more commonly used.

I like Si Mangia too - a good local eat - I know Lorenzo's and that they are sister restaurants, but I heard that their dough is frozen as is their seafood

Love thai corner too - especially the BYO!!

Blimey so you say it was actually good edible pasta, with tasty sauce?

Have they got their act together?

If you say so I'll give them another try, even though they didn't bother to reply to my email.

I was told once the best pasta is made with high quality Durum Wheat flour.

If it's still S&%T you know I'll let everyone know.

So should I give them another go then?

Fazer, Go on, push yourself out of that tiny comfort bubble and you may be surprised. Comparing it to Si Mangia, it is better in many regards.

It almost sounds like you have something personal against them, in which case, they are never going to win with you and then, it's all irrelevant.

I thought the food there was actually not bad and whilst not exceptional - certainly better than Pizza Express. A Dulwich branch of Zucca was rather too much to hope for really.

I would also comment that the light fittings were rather unattractive - they cast a good focussed light and seemed to be very flexible in terms of adjustments, don't get me wrong, but the fittings themselves were rather vulgar and distracted from the overall ambience.

Function over form it seems which is not what I necessarily would have expected from Italians...

Frankito Wrote:

> It almost sounds like you have something personal

> against them, in which case, they are never going

> to win with you and then, it's all irrelevant.

My honest experience is that the food was really really really poor and when I told them via email they didn't bother to reply.

If the food is good then I'll be won over.

Karenina75. So is it worth me going back ?

Karenina75 Wrote:

> Heh heh

> I went for lunch at Rocca today for pasta! Had a

> lovely plate of pasta pesto with the addition of

> green beans and potato, an authentic pasta alla

> genovese - I have to say it was delicious. The

> pasta there is made from OO grade flour, which is

> why I can eat it , and this does often taste

> slightly different to what is more commonly used.

> I like Si Mangia too - a good local eat - I know

> Lorenzo's and that they are sister restaurants,

> but I heard that their dough is frozen as is their

> seafood

>

> Love thai corner too - especially the BYO!!

So Kerenina75 is it worth me going back ?

Senor Chevalier Wrote:

> I would also comment that the light fittings were

> rather unattractive - they cast a good focussed

> light and seemed to be very flexible in terms of

> adjustments, don't get me wrong, but the fittings

> themselves were rather vulgar and distracted from

> the overall ambience.

>

> Function over form it seems which is not what I

> necessarily would have expected from Italians...

I'd happily take a well focussed light over a vulgar fitting anyday rather than the other way round. I'd also put a new place opening in a recession that many people enjoy ahead of an empty premises. This thread is getting really tiresome now. Opening a new business is hard enough as is it at the moment without all this tosh.

MrBen Wrote:

> And I'll stick my neck out and say what any

> reasonable person reading this thread is thinking.

> Fazer71 = knobhead

Charming.

I make a negative post about a S?$T resturant and you think I'm a knobhead.

As opposed to all those who got to S&%T resturant and eat S$&T.

MR Ben So you think Rocca is good?

I've asked Kerenina75 if she thinks I should give them another try and have had zero response so from that I guess she thinks NOT!

Calling me names isn't going to make the food in Rocca any better MATE .... just make you look like a (????)

Calm down

I haven't responded as yet because I'm busy

yes - do give it a try. Surely the answer to that question is that I had a lovely sunday lunch there with my family

I also support MrBen with his view on opening new businesses in a recession - it surely can't be easy so would be helpful to offer constructive criticism rather than scathing remarks????