People who work in Advertising

huncamunca

Fun, fun, fun!

'Just have fun with it'.. another favourite.

I went to St Luke's and they had a box of lego and load of toys and games in reception.. for visitors to, y'know, just have fun with.

Stick your lego bricks up your arse, show me your tedious commercial and just tell me which unaffordable track I need to rip-off - so I can go home.

LOL! Do you not think you're 'advertising' your views there, DJKQ?

You're obviously a big believer, and you feel it's important to get those views out there to influence others. You do it in words, others do it in words and pictures, others in pictures and videos etc.

Your criticism is simply subjective, on the basis that your views are worthwhile and others are not.

'Selling' anything DJKQ? Sure you are - you're 'selling' your point of view - clearly with a pretty low price tag.

Here's a definition of 'advertising': "Description or presentation of a product, idea, or organization, in order to induce individuals to buy, support, or approve of it."

You can't get more accurate than that.

You 'sell' an idea when you try and persuade your partner to go to the cinema...

I think you have a pretty tight definition of advertising as 'Stuff done by people I don't like to persuade other people to do things I don't think they should do'.

Seems pretty weak. But of course on that basis you can slag it off as much as you want ;-)

Please bear in mind that advertising for charitable donations to Shelter is the same advertising to persuade people to buy a Nissan.

Or perhaps there's some advertising that people don't like? In which case be more specific?

In a non-materialist world, advertising will still exist. It'll just promote different ideas and products.

Oh c'mon H...I think we all understand what was meant by the op....advertising a product for profit or gain...pray tell what just do I gain from the infamous or otherwise offerings to self abusive drivel that I post on here. You on the other hand have a job that depends on it for your livelihood...thank god I am not so dependent or afflicted.

It is a bit 6th form, but deserves a response.

Publicity is a catch-all that describes the generation of public awareness, advertising is a subset of this that involves communicating the values or attributes of a product, service or organisation.

One can gain publicity through pooing on your chair at the Oscars, but it may not necessarily describe the attributes of your product.

DJKQ's play on 'proft or gain' is haphazard and suspect. DJKQ may gain through several levels through expressing an opinion, including an elevated social status that allows her position on one debate to influence her achievement on another.

She may want to be seen as the Florence Nighingale of the renting classes - I wouldn't guess at what advantage this may give her: there are plenty of politicians who achieve material or emotional gain through a perceived social elevation...

Satisfying one's ego is often gain enough...

Is advertising a subset of publicity? I would say the object is to generate publicity through advertising but that not all advertising actually generates publicity. And that in industry terms, there is almost always an associated cost with advertising, but not so with publicity.

Hmmm, I know where you're coming from binary_star, but we have to lay down the lines somewhere otherwise things get so blurred that we can't establish what or how we want to achieve something.

There are exceptions, but the easiest way that I communicate the idea is through a strategy called PPR - profile, perception and revenue (revenue doesn't need to be defined in monetary terms - it's what 'comes' to you as a result, like 'venir' the Frog word meaning 'to come').

'Profile' generally means 'Does anyone know who I am?'

'Perception' generally means 'If they know who I am, what do they think of me?'

'Revenue' generally means 'What do they do as a consequence?'

Publicity generally falls into just being aware of your existence; advertising generally means influencing the values and attributes that they associate with this fame.

The money question doesn't enter into the equation, you can spend money at all levels, or none.

I'd argue that money spent on advertising that didn't either contribute to, or capitalise upon, public awareness was wasting time. You're effectively asking someone to have an opinion on a subject they don't even recognise.

Put it this way (bearing in mind I've had a few beers)...

An advertising campaign claiming 'fish are good for you' would be a waste of time if no-one knew what a fish was. However, running the campaing might influence people to investigate what a fish was.

Likewise saying 'this is a fish' (a publicity exercise) would be pointless if no-one cared.

So they're often linked, which is where the hardworking people in advertising really work hard. They're not all wallies in Hoxton.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They're not all wallies in Hoxton.

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> (See also: people who watched Nathan Barley once,

> and base their stereotype of 'trendy people' on a

> 5 year out-of-date sitcom based on 10

> year-out-of-date character)