Too many muggings - what can we do! (Lounged)

cheryla

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think you're being blindingly daft if you

> imagine that freely distributing weapons amongst

> mortgage holders won't fill the arsenals of

> criminals who are far more likely to pull the

> trigger.

>

but i don't think that he does think that though does he?

in his own words he's being 'controversial'

"Solutions to crime involve complex and expensive work to rebuild our societies, change our aspirations, create more inclusive aspirational values, build up communities and invest in a more humane environment."

This sounds attractive and aspirational, and over 50-100 years or so may even be true, but it ignores the rather more pressing and prosaic question of how to stop individual who are now committing crimes from committing any more. There are lots of answers to that question too, but a good starting point would be:

- more pro-active policing

- stiffer sentences for some apparently less serious but in truth high-impact crime (simple bag snatching, for example)

- more intensive drug rehab facilities

- better education and employment support for ex-cons

Arming mortgage holders sounds a leading contender for stupidest idea in the world. When interest rates jump they're probably either going to shoot the bank manager or turn the gun on themselves.

Ok ???, you are fully aware that this is inaccurate rubbish?

"Apparently...prison doesn't work though as having a big prison population is somehow wrong in the topsy turvey world of liberalism. Comparing crime RATES we actually imprison less per crime than most other european countries. More scummers off the street safer and nicer alround for the majority of us including the honest majority from deprived communities and backgrounds who actually face the brunt of crime far more than us good burghers of SE22."

If we take 'mugging' to mean street robbery (as opposed to other types of violent street attack) then the remedies actually available to us as individuals are limited - don't choose routes (or times) which take you through areas vulnerable to attack, don't carry with you relatively valuable items which will encourage attack (and certainly don't display them - such as smart phones and iPods etc.) walk confidently, where you can walk with others. My daughter has been mugged (in the sense that someone stopped her and demanded her phone in a threatening manner) , at least once, luckily her phone was old and damaged and was handed back to her with the injunction to 'get her dad to buy her a better phone' - so another hint there. She also had her iPod earpieces grabbed from her.

Where we have been mugged, we should report it (if we do, apparent crime numbers might increase, but this would be a function of better reporting, not increased crime). Too many young people don't bother nowadays - partly I think because to do so would worry their parents and lead to them not being allowed out. [i am not sure, by the way, whether mugging really has increased that much - 8 or so years ago my elder daughter was reporting that her teenage male friends expected to be robbed in the street every 3 months or so - clearly an exaggeration but not much of one.]

Finally ? we should not be frightened of screaming and running away (setting off rape alarms if we carry them)? these actions may seem pusillanimous (particularly for men) but this does have a good chance of spooking muggers ? and if we do take this up as victims, then as citizens and householders we should also respond to cries for help. (Yes, I know we would be constantly rushing out to help vixens, but that may be a price worth paying).

As parents we are lucky enough to be able to afford mini-cabs for our (grown but young) children when they are coming back late, and certainly we cab it if alone. Not everyone is in this position, of course.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> What a completely idiotic thing to say.

it shows just what

> an ignorant piece of work you are.

Well if that isnt the pot calling the kettle black. DJ, you of all people should not be calling other people ignorant. You should read some of your own posts first before passing judgement on others the you will see who the real ignorant poster is.

Sigh....you posted just to say that!.....I suggest you keep to the topic in hand instead of using it to exercise some personal vendetta that says more about you than me (like a jack in the box the pops once in a while to remind me you once disagreed with me on something - but you are not the only one to bear silly grudges of that nature).

And yes I will call someone ingnorant when they make the kind of comments Silverfox has made not just on this thread but another currently in the drawing room (the kind of comments you would never see me or any sensible person make anytime soon).

I suggest we give Silverfox some dummy smartphones and force him to wander the streets of East Dulwich as a decoy for the muggers. This will leave all the innocent mortgage holders and even that lesser species which still rents to go about their business unhindered.